Suggestion: Make Chiminea less OP

So my understanding of the chiminea is that its wind-proof/flood-proof, within early resource collectibles and can be built without needing prototyping; and if that's not enough you can still cook on it, it doesn't burn surrounding resources and doubles the efficiency of flammable objects just like a fire-pit. So why would I ever build a fire-pit then? Maybe once just to have a temporary one I guess but then for the rest of the game its useless.

I think the chiminea shouldn't have the ability to cook and shouldn't have the x2 effectiveness with flammable objects buff making it more of a structure with some positive effects rather than a replacement for another object that's so close in the craft lineup. Maybe even have it give off less light considering 85% of it is surrounded in stone...

My only other suggestion is to just make it a lot more demanding (expensive) to build so it feels like a real reward and not a game breaker anyone can get in a second. I find the hurricane and flood seasons so easy and boring with that thing, but its part of the game some obviously i'm going to build it. 

The earliest most characters can even make a Chiminea is with a Science Machine. [unless you find random limestone or die with a touchstone...]
Maybe it would be better from an Alchemy Machine?

But I think it would make sense if it gave off less light, or maybe it gave off light only in front of it, or something. Like the Crock Pot. After all, like you said the flame is nearly surrounded.

Maybe its just me, but whenever I play I don't build a fire-pit unless I have the stuff for a science machine already (because fire-pits are a base structure). So its not like its far off even if you did just decide to build the fire-pit. 

A few times i was hard exploring and end up on an island in the night and it was storm and windy and guess what i didnt have sand and corals with me ... only a base items twigs grass wood etc and luckily some stones. To surviv2 the night i would need to waste way to many grass which in much demand on early stages, so i put down a firepit and it saved my life. So there is still some use for firepit in eqrly game.

Nah, nighttime only lasts about 60 seconds or less for the first 10 days. even if it was windy and raining a normal campfire would keep you alive with maybe 2 logs or 4-6 grass/twigs/palm leaves ect.

My point still stands that the chiminea is over powered for the other seasons in general. 

I'd be nice to at least require an alchemy engine to construct it.

Let's take into account that once the Shipwrecked is compatible with the base game/RoG, if we start in RoG we're not going to have the luxury of having that chimnea available due to coral.

It's definitely a quality item. I think it should cost MUCH more materials to construct due to how great it is. Maybe throw in 12 stone, up the limestone to 6, needing 18 coral?

What is this  "x2 effectiveness with flammable objects buff"?

What does it mean?

My understanding is it doubles the time added to the fire. Example, if one log added to a normal campifire (the first one you can build) gives 15 seconds of light, when added to the chiminea it will give 30 seconds of light.

But I think it would make sense if it gave off less light, or maybe it gave off light only in front of it, or something. Like the Crock Pot. After all, like you said the flame is nearly surrounded.

I Also agree it should be moved to the alchemy tier along with it having less light intensity, because like mentioned, it is partially covered. Having it only light the front of it wouldn't be a good idea seeing as you can't rotate structures. you'd be screwed if you had to place it near the bottom edge of an island.  

honestly , by the time i am looking for supplies for my chimnea, i ALREADY HAVE my alchemy machine.

So making the Alc . machine a requirment doesnt change the chimnea at all.

I admit i was surprised to learn you didnt need to prototype it but i dont think its overpowered.

HOWEVER, it should give off less light.

this would add an interesting mechanic to its placement within your base.

i like the idea of it giving off a cone of light from the hole in the front.

ps. the chimnea fails compared to the fire pit vs  lava meteors.

you need fire pits in the summer to kite around at night.   

You cant have it shining light from one side... Though I have found it surprisingly rare but I rotate my view around a ton ( I found this game on the PS Vita- and still use a controller online, so rotating the camera is super easy with L1 R1)  So if you were to stand in the hypothetical cone of light out one end, and rotate the view, the light would **** as all structures face you head on no matter the view you use. Which would leave Wilson in the dark, and that would be a flaw with the game.

Like I said though, I have been really shocked that people dont change their view for when they are scaling an island and want to see inland as far as you can or maybe on your boat circling an island and wanting to see as far out to spot seaweed theres so many things I use it for... chopping trees to have best angle to see if a snake drops is another one.

Another perk of controller for single player is you can get in your chests and the game pauses with R2 to move things around in the chest- I tried going from vita to PC and doing it without a controller but there are so many perks to using a controller in this game. Sorry to ramble off topic a bit.

You cant have it shining light from one side... Though I have found it surprisingly rare but I rotate my view around a ton ( I found this game on the PS Vita- and still use a controller online, so rotating the camera is super easy with L1 R1)  So if you were to stand in the hypothetical cone of light out one end, and rotate the view, the light would **** as all structures face you head on no matter the view you use. Which would leave Wilson in the dark, and that would be a flaw with the game.

Like I said though, I have been really shocked that people dont change their view for when they are scaling an island and want to see inland as far as you can or maybe on your boat circling an island and wanting to see as far out to spot seaweed theres so many things I use it for... chopping trees to have best angle to see if a snake drops is another one.

Another perk of controller for single player is you can get in your chests and the game pauses with R2 to move things around in the chest- I tried going from vita to PC and doing it without a controller but there are so many perks to using a controller in this game. Sorry to ramble off topic a bit.

Even though this game is optimized for controller usage (that terrible crafting menu *shiver*) it is very easy to rotate the camera on a keyboard.

Q and E are just right next to W and are easily hit. The main reason why people dislike rotating the camera (me being one of them) is orientation.

I need a sense of where the north is. I can find nearly everything without a map as long as I stay in a fixed perspective. By rotating the camera this is shifted and I loose my orientation very badly even forcing me to open the map and to rotate it back to my original camera position.

Otherwise I would be completely lost in the world....

I agree that it is really powerful and I don't believe putting it in the alchemy engine will change anything...

Why ?

How do you build a alchemy engine... isnt it mostly more of the same from the science machine ?

Science machine:

Log, rocks, 1 gold

Alchemy Engine:

Refined Logs (Boards), Refined rocks (Cutstone) and Refined Gold+Rocks (Electrical Doodads)

I feel like putting it at that level doesn't change the fact thats its super easy to make. Most of the time, I build an alchemy engine seconds after I build my science machine...

My proposal:

Like some said here, reduce its uses / Power and increase its building materials.

Adding a new item to build it would be nice. Not new new, just something that already exist.

Reducing the radius of light: wouldn't be strong enough (most of the time you dont move much around your fire or you build stuff really close to it)

Removing the ability to cook: I think thats the best one

Sorry for double post (I don't seem to have the right to edit post yet..) (EDIT now i can)

New idea:

Modify the way you put stuff in the fire.

Force player to light it up from nothing and only after he can keep it going

Explanation:

Basically it will work like a crock pot, you need to put x items in it to start it. (I suggest 3-4)

So to use it, you need to put 1 flint and 2(or X amount) "flamable objects".

Once started, it last for X time (in seconds) and then you can just add more stuff like a regular fire to keep it going (or if you need to increase the flame because of "evil hands"

Why ?

Makes the player decide between normal fire and chimnea depending on which season or temperature.

It makes the building more expensive by adding more item to use.

It also work like a real life fire, if it stop burning, you need to start it again with more ressources

So to use it, you need to put 1 flint and 2(or X amount) "flamable objects".

No, no, no, no, no!

Flint is too valuable to burn it every night and it is a finite resource too in SW (as far as I know).

Making fires is already fine since you don't need any tools to get one started. A log, a stick and some grass are enough in the real world and so it is in DS. It would be merely annoying to force the player into the use of special starting materials since you most likely will do it every night.

No, no, no, no, no!

Flint is too valuable to burn it every night and it is a finite resource too in SW (as far as I know).

Making fires is already fine since you don't need any tools to get one started. A log, a stick and some grass are enough in the real world and so it is in DS. It would be merely annoying to force the player into the use of special starting materials since you most likely will do it every night.

Flint was just a random material it could be anything really. I feel like pushing a decision on the player is better than just making it expensive... because its never going to be expensive enough

I'm glad a lot of people seem to agree one way or another its a bit over powered. I too think that the alchemy engine wouldn't be enough unless you also required another harder to find material to make it work. 

After hearing most of what people said my idea on how it should be is:

1) Have it require the alchemy engine (because it works best for both hurricane and flooding season)

2) Have it require a much harder to find material (I don't know all the materials yet so I need more input on this one)

3) Have it produce less light (a circular light like a regular fire so black shadow arms still spawn, but about half the effective range so base management is a bit harder)

If those three ideas are in effect I think that it'd be fine to cook on as long as you aren't able to easily create the chiminea in all of your bases. I just fail to see the point in making a fire-pit and then basically make another over-powered fire-pit in the same season that works so well for the next 2 seasons, and easily create it at that. Its not like the chiminea is required to survive hurricane and flooding season, its just easier. 

I honestly don't think making it an alchemy engine prototype would make it any worst or any better. I'm probably not the only one who not only doesn't settle before getting a science machine, but never settles before getting an alchemy engine pre-built. Therefore, I'll be able to make the Chimnea as early as I need to (considering you need it on day 21 and maybe a bit earlier for the occasional windy night).

When I first started reading the OP, I thought it was a good point. But the more I think a bout it, the less it actually makes sense to me. It's true that the normal firepit appears useless in SW when you can build the Chimnea, and I don't think that's a problem. From what I can tell, people who start in SW will make Chimneas, and people who start in RoG will make firepits (because no coral in RoG and its useless anyway for RoG seasons). When someone travels from RoG to SW, he will need to explore for coral because his pre-built firepit won't be helpful for the harsher seasons, and that's it. Note that the occasional ''I'm screwed I didn't find coral even if I explored for days'' person will still have an alternative to the small fires until he/she finds coral or limestone.

I don't see a problem with that, there's just going to be different types of firepits used for different starts (SW vs RoG). I think they should be both acquired with the same tech level because they serve the same role in their own DLC (SW vs RoG). I just can't see those 2 firepits in competition, I see them as complementary.

I agree they're both useful together for particular situations but I don't think the world switching is a good enough excuse only because if you're going to SW from RoG the first thing and only thing you'll be doing is searching for coral/limestone. I say this because you're going to travel fully prepared to step into unknown territory and can always leave when things get bad.

You said it yourself, the chiminea isn't necessary right away, you can still build other fires to survive. When does making the game a piece of cake for two totally different seasons from a single item make good game design in a don't starve game? 

I agree they're both useful together for particular situations but I don't think the world switching is a good enough excuse only because if you're going to SW from RoG the first thing and only thing you'll be doing is searching for coral/limestone. I say this because you're going to travel fully prepared to step into unknown territory and can always leave when things get bad.

You said it yourself, the chiminea isn't necessary right away, you can still build other fires to survive. When does making the game a piece of cake for two totally different seasons from a single item make good game design in a don't starve game? 

We don't know even know if we can take stuff from the ROG world into the SW world. I don't think we will be able considering we get shipwrecked... maybe they will pick one or two items from your inv randomy to go with you.

I don't really see the chiminea as OP - we never had problems with how useful the firepit is in the original game, it was just there to be a much needed base staple. You need a chiminea here because of the wind, but that's it - that just replaces the firepit as your base staple. I don't see a problem with that. What it DOES mean is that if you're out and about away from your base in hurricane season, or before you have found coral and gold, you could have problems with fires. And I don't think coral is abundant enough that anyone is going to plop down a chiminea on every island they visit, though I could be wrong there. Just because we have a second fire source that is more suited to the SW environment doesn't invalidate the firepit - I think the two can work nicely alongside one another - but if Klei have to nerf it, I hope they'll just stick with the limited light option. Don't mess with how difficult it is to make, because finding coral isn't nearly as easy as finding rocks. What they could do is up the winds in hurricane season - I didn't find it particularly windy, most of the time! - so you were forced to use the chiminea more often. I think I only had one day where my regular firepit was actually blown out.

There are a few items in this game that become redundant the more you progress in the game.  For one in the base game you have access to armour made out of cut grass. it's good for the early part of the game for little protection until you can make the log suit. But once you do you'll never touch that thing ever again unless you've run out of materials for a log suit.

So I guess I see the point of some of you guys who don't think it's overpowered.

Archived