What is the best biome to set up a base in?

Starting one is usually empty, try going a little around usually there is some good islands close by.

When i start a new game i empty the starting area as much as i can, and search for a jungle that has gold and spiders.

Right now im playing as Wolfgang and i ended up on pretty huge island that has spiders and looots of monkeys plus a lot of grass and twigs and flower field. I prepared some food and a mandrake, then started hitting monkeys houses and let them aggro. They through like 40 or 50 manure at me and sanity went almost instantly down to 0. Once i picked all the **** and loot their houses i run for the boat to disengage monkeys, than quickly fill my sanity to a reasonable level.

Now i have a lots of material for farms and in the future probably gonna go and burn those monkeys for even more meat and bananas =)

I like the Jungle biome. It doesn't seem to be effected by tides (although will still flood). The Jungle trees are better than the Palms IMO since they sometimes drop an Egg or Banana in addition to the Logs etc, whereas the Palm trees only drop Logs, Palm Leafs and Coconuts (eating the latter will mean you can't replant and will run out eventually).

Plus there's the fact that's usually where the Bamboo and Vines are.

beach + magma biome i have found to be a good place. If you get a swamp there with a fisherman even better. Thats the 3 biomes I think are the most usefull.

Beach will give you sand, shells, twigs, grass

magma gives minerals

the swamp is where you get the reeds and the fisherman will fish for free. he is some kind of raw fish serving cook xD. I love sushi btw my favorite food.

Jungle stuff like bamboo and vines can be replanted so no big problem.

I like to set up on an island that has jungle and beach, lots of limpet rocks and/or berry bushes, preferably a spider den or two already established, and absolutely no monkeys. I don't like having to sail too far before I find a spot for a base, so I try to set up on one of the first five islands I find. Additional resources are nice to have -- I set up my base on an island with a touchstone in my current save -- but not a necessity.

I've tried setting base in different isles across my plays and I prefer the isle that usually has 3 portions of biome: beach, jungle and grass field.

So I place my main structures on the beach, right beside the jungle biome. Berry bushes, trees and drying racks stay in the jungle. Bee boxes in the grass field

Oh, and if the jungle has any ape huts, I smash all of them. NO MONKEYS AROUND!

No swamp? I should better leave this island then...

Sorry, i don't see the link. Swamp are not absolute prerequite. I like them but i don't always make a base near a swamp.

I like the mangrove next to the island (beautiful) but except if there is ox, it's often a little empty, i hope there will be more in next update.

First of all: I hate monkeys ... really, I hate them!

But, as  far as I hate those words, settling on a monkey island is very benificial. Just grab some bananas from jungle trees and feed them your soon to be monkey army. Big plus on this one: befriended monkeys won't pick up your items from the ground.

Now attack a free monkey and your soon to be dead monkey army will start to kill it, calling in the rest of the free monkeys.

Long story short: More bananas than you invested, tons of morsels and monkey-poo in basically no time.

If you're trying to survive long term DO NOT SET UP ON A BEACH. I was into the flooding season and beaches flood like holy crap. I'd luckily set up a pit in the jungle on the same island and that lasted me a while but eventually I had to leave the island. If you can set up near the middle of a large island and stock up on sandbags before flooding starts, that's your best bet!

If you're trying to survive long term DO NOT SET UP ON A BEACH. I was into the flooding season and beaches flood like holy crap. I'd luckily set up a pit in the jungle on the same island and that lasted me a while but eventually I had to leave the island. If you can set up near the middle of a large island and stock up on sandbags before flooding starts, that's your best bet!

I don't think it matters what biome you settle on for flooding. By the end of monsoon season basically every square inch of every island was totally flooded.

I don't think it matters what biome you settle on for flooding. By the end of monsoon season basically every square inch of every island was totally flooded.

Flooding overall yeah but puddles don't currently spawn in every biome and those are what you really have to watch out for. Plus other biomes definitely flood slower than the beaches.

I don't know which biome is the best. I am currently set up in the jungle biome on an island that has jungle and beach. There is another island almost touching with a small jungle and a mangrove biome with waterbeefalo. I am constructing a bunch of wildboar and monkey huts in the jungle on this separate island so that it is a hop skip and a jump to go over, feed a couple bananas to the monkeys and have everyone kill each other to reap the rewards, BUT no monkeys following me around on my base island. Just past island #2 is a soley grass biome island. On the other side of me I have coral and the Yarrctopus. I really like my current location except for the distinct lack of magma biome for rocks and swamp biome for reeds etc. To get to either biome requires crossing open ocean and not just the shallow, waveless waters that surround and connect my other 3 island. But I have constructed a cargo ship, so once I am able I will head to the nearest magma and swamp biomes and spend a couple of days stocking up and then bring a pile of resources back.

Archived