How will caves work after Beta?

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I understand that at the moment you have to open multiple servers to have caves and a overworld. One for Each. Then somehow you have to link them together and you can live in both at the same time.

How will this be handled after the beta? Will my friend host the caves part and I host the other? Will I have to use dedicated servers? Can I link my overworld to multiple cave worlds (and vice versa)?

That would mean that characters from my overworld could (through linking servers) go into the caves of a friend and then come out in the overworld of another friend. Which would mean endless worlds (and be pretty great). Also that way I could have multiple characters in one server...

If this information exists somewhere and I was too stupid to find it then please excuse me.

Tracc

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I understand that at the moment you have to open multiple servers to have caves and a overworld. One for Each. Then somehow you have to link them together and you can live in both at the same time.

How will this be handled after the beta? Will my friend host the caves part and I host the other? Will I have to use dedicated servers? Can I link my overworld to multiple cave worlds (and vice versa)?

That would mean that characters from my overworld could (through linking servers) go into the caves of a friend and then come out in the overworld of another friend. Which would mean endless worlds (and be pretty great). Also that way I could have multiple characters in one server...

If this information exists somewhere and I was too stupid to find it then please excuse me.

Tracc

That's the Million Dollar Question!

• Developer

The endless linked worlds thing is definitely a thing we're excited about for the future, but there's a lot of stuff to get done first. For the end of the caves beta you should expect the caves hosting experience to be just as easy as hosting the game in non-dedicated mode (under the hood it'll be making two servers that're kinda like dedicated servers, but that'll be invisible to you)

The endless linked worlds thing is definitely a thing we're excited about for the future, but there's a lot of stuff to get done first. For the end of the caves beta you should expect the caves hosting experience to be just as easy as hosting the game in non-dedicated mode (under the hood it'll be making two servers that're kinda like dedicated servers, but that'll be invisible to you)

What I'm curious about is how hosting services like Citadel and Killservers will react to this. At the moment you have to purchase two servers if you want both caves and overworld. If the final product is more consolidated, then maybe they'll treat it as a default package even though it's really two servers under the hood which ultimately costs more strain than before. Caves are a pretty integral part of DS, and it'd suck if this caused a divide in the server list between cave and non-cave worlds. I mean, it'd be odd if you had to purchase three servers to host Minecraft's nether, end, and overworld for example. 

What I'm curious about is how hosting services like Citadel and Killservers will react to this. At the moment you have to purchase two servers if you want both caves and overworld. If the final product is more consolidated, then maybe they'll treat it as a default package even though it's really two servers under the hood which ultimately costs more strain than before. Caves are a pretty integral part of DS, and it'd suck if this caused a divide in the server list between cave and non-cave worlds. I mean, it'd be odd if you had to purchase three servers to host Minecraft's nether, end, and overworld for example. 

If I'm not mistaken servers determine their prices based on the amount of resources that game uses per slot. So if the eventual caves system comes into play, then they might just end up increasing the server cost per slot since it would take more resources to manage, I assume. If they keep the same price for a single server then yay for us hehe. :)

• Developer

If I'm not mistaken servers determine their prices based on the amount of resources that game uses per slot. So if the eventual caves system comes into play, then they might just end up increasing the server cost per slot since it would take more resources to manage, I assume. If they keep the same price for a single server then yay for us hehe. :-)

I would certainly hope the pricing would stay the same, with the caveat that of course adding more "stuff" uses more CPU+RAM, so if your server was right on the line it may go over if you try to put caves in without taking something else down (smaller world to lower RAM, lower max player count if you've only got one core, etc). This would be true no matter how we had implemented caves.

A nice thing about the multi-process stuff for caves is that since each server can run on a separate core, you can utilize more of the resources if you're paying for a multicore machine - overworld will run on one core and caves on the other.

so let me ask for clarification. I want a 12 slot multi-world and I am charged for 24 slots even though at no point can the server have more than 12 people on it. If this is the case .. it sure sounds like the hosting company should be happy. 

• Developer

We don't dictate how hosting companies set their pricing of course - we just try to make the game as fast as possible while still delivering new features and not breaking mods. I would hope hosting companies' approach to this is based off the instance you're paying for. What that means is this:

If you were previously paying for a dual-core instance that could handle 12 users, it can now handle 12 users in the overworld AND another 12 users in the caves. You probably don't want to set the player limit all the way to 24, that'll cause some slowdowns when people aren't perfectly balanced between the two worlds, but basically you should now be able to utilize resources that were previously being wasted.

Lets hope, but so far not so good. This is a quote from Citadel hosting "If your wanting a shard server with DST world + Caves, you will need to order an addtional server from us to run the Shard Caves instance alongside the main DST world."

Does DST+caves use more resources than say a Battlefield 4 server? Which you can rent for around $1 a slot. 

With this all being said I do again understand its beta which is why I am saying something now. Also to be fair to Citadel hosting I have send them a PM asking for clarification on the cost so maybe I am misunderstanding.

EDIT: Citadel got back to me and would save me 5 dollars from the cost of having two separate servers.  

• Developer

DST servers in general are a lot more demanding per player than games that were designed to be multiplayer, there are reasons Klei spent so long saying the game couldn't be multiplayer. :) Keeping the game as moddable as it is adds further to that cost. With caves still in a beta branch I would definitely give hosting companies who've gone to all the work of getting it going in its current, difficult-to-setup state a bit of slack on pricing. Once the branch goes release and the process is smoother we should see what prices settle down to.

Archived