No Science Machine Challenge

I think it is,and for the sake of making the challenge challenging, I shant. 

u can survive forever even with this challenge but only problem is summer. If you have no proper equipment to stay yourself cool ur dead. Problem with summer is you have to craft something useful for summer to survive. This is the lame point about this game. Devs made such a game that, if you join to a mid summer game even in DST (mid summer not early summer), without any base that has been set up, any exterior help and such, you are a dead meat.... So it is all chance... I found this challenge kind of lame because the problem is most of the time u have to open tumbleweeds and game gets over repetitive and boring. You can kill deerclops and such but what? you cant even make an eyebrella. so you dont have to kill bosses.. All you do is walking in the map like a nomad forever. Chop down trees, get food get grass and twigs. 80% tumbleweed opening. Thats all about this gameplay.

on the other hand, the only rule is no science machine.. So you can use any set piece into ur favor (except ones that has its science machine). It is like opening tumbleweeds. Sometimes u get necessary equipment to survive summer right away but other guy cant even get anything from tumbleweeds or you have set piece but even with it u have nothing to craft to survive summer... These are all chance and not related to the science machine. With winter trap, at least you will have an icebox that is built which is too useful for summer. It is a great chance to survive summer. I had a winter trap too but i opened it in the very first day of winter and made a mistake there...

Night 29 (Webber)

Hasn’t been much to report until now.  I harvested a couple more Spider Dens and added them to the cluster up near McTusk.  Successfully hunted him again and got another Tam’o’Shanter!  Farmed a few more blueprints and got another damn Deconstruction Staff and the Marble Suit (at least that one is a bit useful).

I decided I’d venture into the Caves and see if I got a lucky Camp or something similar.  No luck and got chased all over the place by Bunny Men.  I forgot they can’t be outrun!

I got back to the surface alive and returned to camp just before dark.  I figured I had just enough time to grab a few nearby tumbleweeds.  Picked up a blueprint to find...ICE BOX!  Woot!

Looks like I might survive this time after all.  Going to spend the rest of the Winter gathering more tumbleweeds and spawning Pengulls.  Then lots of Ice gathering.

Night 40 (Webber)

Shew.  It’s been a stressful few days.  Deerclops spawned right at the end of Winter and I was occupied trying to lead him away from my base while I avoided freezing.  Then Spring began along with all the rain.  I was struggling to get my sanity up and getting attacked by Shadows.

Finally managed to get clear of all that and gather the last of the Ice on the map.  I’ve got 127 to get through Summer.  I don’t know if that’ll be enough but I’m going to do my best.  If I can I may consider using other means (Cooked Green Caps mostly) to keep sane for the Spring and save the remaining life of my Tam’o’Shanters and try to hang out in the caves for summer.

day 64.. I am stuck under the tree in my base. I only got 18 ice and still got 6.5 days to go... I dont think i will make it. All I have as a healing item is 4 glommers goop, res item as life giving amulet and 1 touchstone... I do not think I will make it...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/396673505674631863/00702BD3E987E70381E2AC32E550DC30F06A61A1/

I got the icebox from a winter trap and actually activated the trap in the first day of winter and winter lasted 2 days less than a regular winter.

I made a lot of strategic mistakes... I would have easily survived summer but it is too late. Problem is since I do not have any ice I cannot leave base easily to have food and my character will die due to overheating while looking for food... Finding food is always piece of cake for DS but this overheating makes things impossible. Tried so hard to have a snow chester before summer but I only got 5 blue gem.

What I get from this challenge is... Try to dig as much graves as possible to get  blue gems... This is one of the chance that you can get through summer (having a snow chester!!!)... So use naturally spawned shovels for this purpose. Especially if u can have a triple mactusk party u may complete 9 blue gems.

In the very first day of winter stick to shores to spawn as much pengull as possible to have loads of ice...

If you can have a snow chester surviving through summer is a piece of cake.

Do not lose a lot of time to look for tumbleweeds as mostly they give nothing (0.04% to have blue gem and 1% to have a blueprint and that blueprints are 99% not related to summer survival)...

Find chester, dig up all graves to get lotta blue gem get all ice then if you still have time go for tumbleweeds.

Day 47 (Webber)

Sigh.  The same thing has happened in my last three playthroughs.  I’ve made it within reach of the end of the game and died due to something besides Summer.  I think I had an excellent shot with Webber with all my Ice stored up and even found a pair of Life Amulets in the last graves I dug up.

But no, I got a hound attack in the swamps, which I totally survived by leading them to Tentacles.  Then I got greedy and wanted to pick up some Monster Meat for dinner and got taken out by another Tentacle I didn’t see.

I’m not giving up.  These deaths are due to my lack of caution, not because I haven’t figured out a way to make it through Summer.

Keep trying man you will get there! 

Playing this challenge in DST could be a good idea. Can someone explain how the whirly fan works. In the wiki it says that it delays over heating but they don't say that it cools the player down. My common sense suggest that it should cool the character down, no? I have never tried it.

I'm pretty sure it actually cools you down.  I vaguely recall being overheated, making one, running, and not being over-heated any more.

I think it's roughly tree-like in the amount it cools you, so it might not be enough for the depths of summer on it's own.  (but it sure makes gathering resources easier in the summer, no more tree-sitting all day long)

So I made it through a week of continuous overheating by eating 11 (all) of my gears, then dropping into the caves so I didn't overheat to death, then my temperature dropped steadily, then I started to freeze. I went to the surface to find snow! I guess my opening the summer trap in winter sort of half-canceled it out, so now I will be better prepared for the actual summer (I have an umbrella on 37% and a frest on 52%). Good things, my friends! I might have a chance!

Also, I got a birdcage blueprint and gears from one tumbleweed! If I can get my hands on 2 papyrus, food will get much easier. I am thinking of just planting a ton of trees around my ice box that has a ton of ice to eat, then smashing it and eating gears to survive the rest of the summer. Probably use a miner hat and some light bulbs to get through the night without having to heat up by the fire, and cool off some.

I'm finding this challenge to be very boring, something about not being able to progress really saps the fun out of the game as a whole, I haven't made it to winter in any of my saves for this.

My take on it is that you still need to progress, but in a much more careful, planned way as opposed to getting set up in 20 days. For instance I am planting enough trees and mining enough ice to make it through the summer, trying to maximize health-restoring items in case of overheat, etc. I find summer and winter fun and challenging, however I was quite bored through autumn (spring slightly less so due to death by water and the impending doom summer brings)

Day 52-2. Summer is right around the corner. I have a three-step plan ready to make it alive, and I will not be stopped. *maniacal laughter*

Step 1: Chill out.

I will eat what I have in my fridge (7 leafy meat, one frog leg, 8 roasted berries, 2 cooked meat) and camp my base, possibly venturing out early on to secure some more food. I have 112 ice to ration as long as possible. Food options revolve around 4 uses of the Old Bell. There is some of a volt goat herd left that I may or may not be able to kill and eat, and two beefalo herds that will take a nighttime expedition with ice to get to, but guaranteed food for the rest of the summer.

Step 2: Cut losses.

Once my fridge has outlived it's usefulness, I will take what is left, hammer it down for the gears, salvage what supplies I can, then make a big decision in where to go next. I may have to head through the teleportato and try again, better prepared.

Step 3: Supreme victory!

If I make it this far, I will stop at nothing! I will possibly kill the beefalo for food before heading into the caves to survive the rest of the summer. If overheat is imminent, I will go into uncharted waters in a cave I haven't broken the top of yet, or go into a cave I am quite comfortable in if I can make it the longer distance.

Game plan/base: 

sIImW0b.jpg

Update to the plan: I will attempt to make a second thermal stone to swap out in the ice box, then only use the ice for food related expeditions.

Ok I’m giving this at least one more try with WX-78

Day 5

Things are off to a very promising start.  I found couple of wormholes that let me traverse the map over great distances and that should prove very helpful in the long run.  A couple of dead bodies got me some basic equipment but nothing very special.  The single biggest find thus far is I have a Winter Trap!  I’m not sure if it holds a Thermal Stone or the blueprint for one.  If it has either then I think I’m perfectly set up for success on this one.

I also located the Wooden Thing biome near the Winter Trap and it is surrounded by pigs and spiders.  Should be pretty easy to let everything kill each other and I can gather the resources, especially the Gears.  I also found my desert, which is quite large.  I haven’t fully explored it but the Metal Potato Thing set piece was nearby and will make an excellent base camp.  Two blueprints so far that are both at least marginally useful:  Rabbit Earmuffs and Luxury Axe.

Night 10 (WX-78)

Nothing too amazing in the last five days though I did find a Walking Cane, which is helping speed my exploration quite a lot.  I did find one more blueprint and it’s another fairly helpful one:  Straw Roll.  That should make sanity management a bit easier.  I’m limited by the amount of Rope I can find but I located a body with some and they are relatively common in Tumbleweeds.

I just picked up Glommer on the Full Moon.  I’ve come to really value his Goop for healing (it’s a big hit to sanity though). I’m going to fully explore the area around my Winter Trap and go collect a few Gears from the Clockworks near the Wooden Thing.  That should see me well set up for Winter.

Night 15 (WX-78)

Things have gotten increasingly better as I explored the final few bits of the map.  First I found a nice additional Clockwork set piece adding 8 additional Gears to my collection.  Nearby I finally found Chester.  And I found three more McTusk Camps in addition to the one very close to my Winter Trap.

Getting some Blue Gems for Ice Chester as well as a couple Tam’o’Shanters should be no problem at all.  If there’s a Thermal Stone or the blueprint for one in my Winter Trap chest I’ll be golden.  If not I can still collect a ton of ice through the Winter and I’ll be ready for Summer.

Night 20 (WX-78)

Spent some time doing a careful inspection of my map.  The Winter Trap is not located near much in the way of food resources.  I’ve got 21 Gears at this point so I know I won’t starve but I’d like to hold on to those for later if possible.  I’ve stockpiled a stack of Seeds and Birchnuts that I hope will feed me for at least the first third of the Winter.

I went ahead and opened the Winter Trap tonight and unfortunately it has no Thermal Stone.  I got a Winter Hat and Breezy Vest so those should help, especially until I can get a Tam’o’Shanter.  So it looks like my survival strategy for Summer will center on gathering a ton of Ice this Winter.

I picked up one more blueprint:  The (useless) Lazy Explorer

Night 25 (WX-78)

Things have been more or less as expected since Winter began.  I’ve now hit all four MacTusk camps twice and have only one Tam’o’Shanter to show for it, but that’s not a big deal.  I have enough Blue Gems for my Snow Chester, which will help a bit with traveling and keeping my food and ice fresh.

If I stuff my Ice Box with nothing but Ice I’d have 360, which feels like it should be enough to last me through Summer.  Also I came across a couple Mandrakes.  I can use those to skip a couple of the hottest days of Summer as well as for food and healing.  I’ll collect them sometime in the Spring I guess.

Night 30 (WX-78)

Winter proceeds about like expected.  I haven’t spawned as many Pengull Nests as I’d have liked by walking around the perimeter of my desert but there is plenty of Ice down in the Rock Biome so I’m going to go mine there and see how much I can gather.  It should still be plenty for Summer I think.

I’ve hunted MacTusk a few more times but no more Tam’o’Shanter drops.  Not having nearly the luck on that as with previous attempts.  It’s netting me quite a few Blow Darts that might be useful for Deerclops if he shows up.

Archived