No Science Machine Challenge

Night 35 (WX-78)

Winter is about to end and it was fairly successful overall.  I had better luck with Tam’o’Shanters right at the end and got two more, which should last me for the rest of this playthrough easily.

Ended up with just about 200 Ice total.  I think that will be enough, especially if I used Mandrakes and Straw Rolls to skip parts of the Summer.  I’ll want a decent food stockpile but I’ve still got 12 Gears left so that should also be fine.

I’m going to play fairly conservatively in Spring but I think it’s worth having at least a peek in the Caves to see if there is a Cave Base I could use to take the edge off the summer heat.  Exploring down there while it is raining in the Spring should mitigate my water accumulation a bit too.

Night 40 (WX-78)

Spring has sprung and sheesh, trying to keep WX’s health up with all the rain is a lot of work.  I’ll probably try to farm some Spider Glands a bit later on but I want to stay mobile for now.  I’m roaming the desert, looking for other blueprints that might be helpful.

I’ve managed to grow a couple watermelons in the farms from the Metal Potato Thing set piece and maybe I’ll get lucky and get a third.  I’ll pick those right before I retreat to my Summer Base.

My first foray into the Caves was pretty scary.  There are spiders right by the entrance.  It’s next to the Pig Village so I might bring a bunch of Pigs with me and try to defeat them but it is pretty scary down there.  I’ll check another sinkhole soon.

One more blueprint:  Wooden Flooring.  Pretty much useless.

Night 45 (WX-78)

I spelunked the sinkhole in the Swamp and found a fairly nearby Cave Camp I can use for the Summer.  Only problem is there are two large Spider Dens right at the bottom of the rope AND at least two near the Camp itself.  Kinda dangerous down there.

My plan is to use the next couple days of Spring to gather a large amount of Cut Grass and be able to make a bunch of traps.  Then I should be able to take down the camps one by one.  If I feel they can be made safe I’ll use Snow Chester to transfer my Ice to the Ice Box in the Cave Camp.  If it ends up being too dangerous down there I may stay at the Winter Trap camp for the summer.

Night 50 (WX-78)

It is dangerous down in those caves.  Mostly spiders.  I had to use a few Gears to bail myself out.

I managed to destroy both of the Tier 3 Dens right by the entrance.  I brought some Rock Lobster buddies with me to tackle the ones near the Cave Camp but one turned into a Spider Queen.  Her minions eventually ground down my minions and there are still a couple Dens near enough to the camp to make me a bit nervous.

I need to recharge my sanity and deal with my wetness before I can comfortably spelunk again.  I’d love to make the Cave Camp work but I’m just not sure I’m going to be able to manage it with only a Grass Suit to protect me.

Date Indeterminate (Probably around Day 60)

I’ve made it into Summer and I’m camped at my underground base.  I managed to clear the Spider Dens nearby to my satisfaction and decided to give underground a try.  So far the Overheating isn’t bad.  I had to eat a couple Ice but that’s all.

It’s a little boring being confined to a small area but it’s also a bit of a nice break considering the craziness of trying to keep WX healed during the rainy Spring.  I also know I’ll likely skip ahead a bit later on with my Mandrakes and possibly use the Tent here at the Camp.

I’m mildly concerned about the Depth Worm attacks I know will come but I’m hoping I can kite them away from my base to a nearby Swamp area or possibly get some help from the Rock Lobsters.

Date Indeterminate (Probably Day 65 or 66)

I’ve still got about 140 Ice so I should have no problem surviving the heat.  The Depth Worms are scary with no helmet and grass armor but I managed to fetch some Rock Lobsters to help me out and defeated them pretty easily last time.

An interesting thing has happened with regards to balancing sanity.  If I wear my Tam’o’Shanter, I Overheat more quickly. If I wear my Straw Hat, I lose sanity more quickly.  I’ve been mostly wearing the Straw Hat and letting it go down and then resetting a bit (and passing the time) by sleeping in my Tent.  There is a Fur Roll in the chest in the Camp but I’m afraid to use it because the Wiki says it sets your temperature to “maximum”.  I guess I could risk it and just be ready to eat some Ice.

I ate one Mandrake and I’ve got two more.  I haven’t had to use any of my Gears.  It’s feeling within reach but I don’t want to get cocky now.

Day 72 (WX-78)

CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

I had a couple false starts, thinking Summer was over on Day 71.  Popped out of my sinkhole and began to Overheat.  I was wise enough to have thrown some extra Ice into Snow Chester though so I ate some and went back downstairs to finish out that last evening with a quick Straw Roll nap.

All told I used less than a hundred Ice during the course of the Summer and I probably could have used even less as I often ate it two or three chunks at a time.  I’m not sure if that was strictly necessary.  Had it not been for the Straw Roll recipe and the Mandrakes, I’d have almost certainly needed a hundred.  I think I would say Summer is doable with an Ice Box and at least three full stacks (120) Ice.  I certainly felt more comfortable with a bigger margin for error.

WX-78 was an interesting character to play for this challenge.  His advantages (Upgrades, Gears as “emergency rations”, Ability to eat stale food) and his disadvantages (Starts Weak, Damaged by Rain/Wetness) both felt exaggerated due to the circumstances of the challenge.  I think he’s definitely easier to play than Wigfrid and about the same as Maxwell.

Not sure whether I’ll take another crack at this right away but it has definitely been fun.  I spent some time playing DST with my daughter earlier tonight and commented, “This feels so weird and...easy, being able to make a Science Machine and Alchemy Engine!”

You’d think I would be tired of this challenge now, having been doing it off and on for two weeks or so.  But I cranked up a new game with Maxwell the day after completing it with WX-78.  I decided not to do an update every 5 days but I’ll report in a few times.

Day 28 (Maxwell)

This is one of the weirder maps I’ve ever seen in Don’t Starve.  First, it has one of those very rare islands only accessible via Wormhole.  It’s small enough to prevent Hounds from spawning on it, which I know a lot of people consider a prize.  Unfortunately I can do a lot of “terraforming” on the island since I don’t have easy access to shovels, so I really can’t make my main base there.

The other weird thing is the desert (which I obviously rely on quite a bit) is intermixed with swamps.  Lots of small areas intersecting with short fingers and cul de sacs of swamp and desert extending from the central area.  A short distance from there is a big meadow with the Wooden Thing set piece and a bunch of berry bushes.

The map has four MacTusk camps sort of arranged in a long line near the center of the map.  I set myself up near there for at least the early part of Winter.  I managed to dig up SIX Blue Gems before Winter started and thought I’d be able to get my Snow Chester ingredients easily.  Not so.  I had the hardest time getting the gems from MacTusk’s hounds and only managed to get one out of the first 16 hounds I killed.

I’ve also only found one blueprint but it’s sort of handy:  Drying Rack.  It requires three rope and I’ve only found four, so I could only make one rack so far.  But having Jerky will be really good for healing Maxwell along the way.

Last thing:  Found a Cave Camp where I’ll hope to spend the summer.  It has Light Bulbs growing around it and Maxwell won’t need a Tam’o’Shanter to stay sane so I don’t need to worry about Overheating due to fire or insulation.  Food will probably be my main concern.  I’m going to try to stock up during the Spring.

Day 50 (Maxwell)

I’ve got 6 or so days of Spring left and I’m doing my best to to stock up on food.  Hasn’t been easy though.  I’ve managed to collect a few Jerky but none will dry in Spring with all the rain.  If I can stockpile a few Meat, I might be able to dry some once Summer starts but that will be a tough balancing act between spoilage and drying.

Ice won’t be a problem because I have upwards of 240 stockpiled in my Ice Box in the cave.  There is a sprawling Mushtree Forest down there too and I’ll eat those (bluecaps mostly) if I have to.  I honestly have no idea whether Light Bulb Plants will wither in the Summer.  If they do I’ll have to resort to using my Fire Pit for light more often.

Hands down the most dangerous things I’ve encountered in this game are the Terrorbeaks that spawned while I was exploring the cave fully.  I ended up dying on Day 47 just as I was escaping back up the rope.  It ended up giving me a weird glitch where half my stuff just disappeared.  Nothing I can’t live without but I had managed to collect 13 Spider Glands for healing and they simply vanished.

I’m slightly worried about my food situation but that’s the only thing I’m concerned about much.  Knocking down a bunch of Bee Hives would give me a pile of Honey and that would give me a margin for comfort.  All the killer bees in Spring are really dangerous considering Maxwell’s low health.  I may try to round up a Pig posse to get that done.

Well I'm very sad to say that Maxwell's attempt has ended.  About day 60 I got attacked by Depth Worms, which I managed to dodge...right into a hungry pack of Slurtles.  They were in the dark just outside of what I could see around a Light Bulb Plant and were on me before I could react.  I had a Touch Stone but no way to survive the heat to make it back to my base.

Ah well.

I think I'll take a break for a while but I'm eager to read about anybody else making the attempt.

Well I'm very sad to say that Maxwell's attempt has ended.  About day 60 I got attacked by Depth Worms, which I managed to dodge...right into a hungry pack of Slurtles.  They were in the dark just outside of what I could see around a Light Bulb Plant and were on me before I could react.  I had a Touch Stone but no way to survive the heat to make it back to my base.

Ah well.

I think I'll take a break for a while but I'm eager to read about anybody else making the attempt.

I'm afraid that the two of us may be the only ones to complete the challenge :(

Not counting everyone that gazes upon these forums without an account to comment.

Archived