Scarsity of gears and WX-78

It is quite everident for common players that gears in DS RoG and DST RoG are scarse. In Vanilla games this isn't a problem, there is no need for fancy stuff like flingos, you can't actually build weather pain, since there is no Goose Moose and the only things to do with gears for you are to make Ice boxes, make a Diving rod and Feed them to WX players, but due to Summer of RoG, it is vital for base preservation.

The gears might be easy to aquire first due to clockworks and probably even graves, but later on in the game, they become very scarse as tumbleweeds don't have hell of a high chance of looting them and so going in the desert and picking tumbleweeds becomes a chore because of those items specifically.

Not to mention, that WX players, when they eat gears and die, they don't loot the gears back, but their stats go back to starting stats, at least in Wilderness mode and then the only "big" buff of WX is him getting struck by lightning and gaining health and speed + light source buff for a while, which can't actually be controlled that much sinse you need lightning rods, in particular for other players to keep them and base from being struck and setting them or other things on fire. This could be controlled with a Mossling pen, but this would only work in Spring, since in Summer Mosslings fly away and would require a Gmoose to be dead for them to become angry and then trap them in a pen, which is a drag.

I have a few suggestions on how gear scarsity and WX not getting hit by lightning as often could be fixed:

* During full moon, any clockworks which got killed, would respawn in the same place they were spawned duringthe world generation, which would sort of control where players set their base at, though, it would be a decent way to deal with gear scarsity and all players would need is good kiting skills and some armour to get those gears in future, just like before instead of going around and trying to hit the gear jackpot from weeds for the sake of making another ice box, another ice flingomatic or a new weather pain.

* I would also suggest that dug-up graves would turn back to being un-dug once the full moon hits. Also make it so that WX players would either keep their max stats as they were from eatjng gears, or on the other hand, reset EX stats whilst dropping the amount of gears that one had eaten.

* Make WX-78 a walking lightning rod; may be not as "powerful" as volt goats or static lightning rods, but certainly make him a lightning rod. So basically, make it so that WX, when not near a volt goat or a lightning rod, would always get struck by lightning, so that players playing as WX could go outside of base and get struck. If aay a volt goat gets struck and then hits WX, then WX would then get system overload as well. And to those who think that WX already IS a walking lightning rod in the way I described, well he isn't as lightning doesn't always strike it when a WX is somewhere away from lightning rods.

* And as a little "trinket", it would be nice if, similarly to Wigfrid's umloats (which strangely don't work even when turned on in theoptions), players playing as WX would say things all in caps. Of course, it would still be possible to turn this off in the options, but it would be nice if this was a feature.

Caves come soon so hopefully gears scarsity won't be a problem anymore (caves means caves plus ruins right ?), but for now it's almost unviable to play as WX-78. I think the minimum for a base is two fridges and two flingos so 6 gears, give all the rest to the robot. So just hope your world will be filled with clockwork monsters. Sadly, the lack of a wooden thing set piece makes them even more scarce. If you play on dedicated servers you know summer is almost never reached, so you could save only two gears for fridges and eat all the rest.

Scarcity? Oh right.. DST, no caves.. Is there not the craftable gears mod for DST? Even still I still think Klei should take the initiative to retro-fit WX to be more like the "WX Overhaul" mod. He ought to be highly modular, with some small downsides for every up so he doesn't become super OP. Truth be told he's more OP with the mod than vanilla, he just gets high health sanity and hunger caps vanilla, as well as the admittedly OP thing of eating gears instead of food, kind of moots his ability to eat all but rotten food. With the mod he gets damage upgrades, as well as speed upgrades, though with downsides. his stat caps are generally lower too. I originally suggested this is how WX be back when they talked about giving each character a more unique quirk, instead they lazy'd and made him stuff gears in his gob.

Even cave and ruin implementation wouldn't deal with the gear scarsity; sure, there would be more clockworks, but it would still be finite amount and it is possible that after a few hundred days in the game, you'll be going back to tumbleweed cash machine for them.

I'm guessing teleportatoing away isn't an option, anyone who plays regular ds and has the personal sanity to do 1000 day runs will tell you how easy gears are to acquire in that regard. Also, with craftable gears and cave access you'd be swimming in gears. Assuming Fidoops also planned on giving DST rock lobsters the ability to poop rocks you'll have more gears (and marble...) than you know what to do with

Not sure about the grave thing... every full moon seems too often. And have you even considered people transforming some chesspiece landscape to their home? So respawning clockworks doesn't work, at least not well.

I suggest that the wooden thing acts as a clockwork factory, pumping out a random clockwork every few days, or respawning the whole lot every new moon.

Clockwork Pawns should be a thing. They were in the concept art and I figured they should act like Spiders, in the sense they have a hive and respawn as long as the hive isn't destroyed. However, instead of dropping meat, silk, or a gland, they can either drop a gear piece (what it takes to craft a full one, I never figured out) or a rare chance to drop a full gear. For balance, they simply might not drop anything at all. I'm thinking the hive can't be destroyed, but it won't grow in size or produce anything other than eight Pawns total. After all, only eight Pawns per side in Chess. 

Also as far as WX The Lightning Rod goes, that wasn't already a feature? I seem to recall a coplayer using The End is Night near one (not on the screen, but close enough) and the poor thing got every single bolt. It could have just been hilariously bad luck though. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I totally agree. Alternatively, maybe WX can craft gears, using, per say, 6 electrical doodads and two boards?

You're a genuious! Though may be x4 gold, x4 gears and x1 log would be a more of a decent recipe? Gears after all are just metal pieces, which don't have any electricity involved in being crafted or functioning. WX crafting gears would be the best though because:

Wilson: beard hair

Willow: lighters

Wigfrid: battle helmets (spears have no point for other players, except may be Wolfgang)

WX-78: gears

Archived