So, finally got fed up with the DragonFly's absurd amount of health (28K? I get that difficuly "spikes" for multiplayer, but that's just ridiculous. It feels like you're expected to either cheese the fight by walling the Lavae or have 10 players to compensate for the 10x health difference from standalone, and even then half of them will be lagging...) and used one of the workshop mods to set it to a reasonable amount, and I finally killed it with the friend I've been duoing with since he gave me a copy. Now, I know that caves seem to have not yet been implemented (technical issues with server hosting and loading I'm assuming) so I'm just wondering what we're supposed to be doing with the drops?

Wiki only says that we're supposed to be using the altar located in the caves/ruins, but with no caves or ruins, are we just being given useless content that we can't use without modding or using console? Seems kind of counter-intuitive to make a boss drop crafting materials you can't even use. I would much prefer that DragonFly were dropping more scales rather than a bunch of useless gems.

In the event that there is a way to craft the items, some help would be appreciated, I can't find information on this anywhere, and the wiki really doesn't distinguish the differences between DST and DS standalone enough.

Untill the caves are officially implamented I use the caves mod so I still can use the altar. Just be sure to get rid of all the mechanical stuff there first as on one game one of them destroyed the one and only ancient altar.

Exactly.

And you know, after depletion of mining site gems are very rarely generated in tumbleweeds before, but Dragonfly guarantees dropping all kinds of gems. This loots are good enough I guess. No more tumbleweed farming for just .01% of drop chances..

BETA!

It may blow your mind, but Caves aren't always going to be disabled! It's called forward thinking. 

I am probably wrong, but I think I might've maybe heard somewhere that you can find blueprints for items which normally require the altar from tumbleweeds. If that's not true, you can always debug spawn the crafts and then delete the gems and other materials that you would have used to make them. Better yet, go debug spawn the altar.

Also, they are currently working on caves, btw, so hopefully they are here relatively soon since DST doesn't have much of an endgame as of right now

As for the dragonfly having 10x hp, instead of 2x like the other giants, well, maybe it's just to provide a temporary endgame goal for a group of players until caves come out.

maybe it's just to provide a temporary endgame goal for a group of players until caves come out.
 I think that is the idea, yeah. Although I don't know if it'll be temporary-- I think it's still a pretty neat fight. There are some pretty good strats for soloing it (someone has a speedrun that did it in 45 minutes of total play time I think), and it's relatively balanced for a conventional fight if you have four players or more.

It's also worth noting that in single-player, the reason to kill it was to get scales, the easiest way being to nuke it with a stack of 14 gunpowder. You can still use gunpowder to get scales off of it in DST, you just have to drop a stack of 7 and a stack of 13, let the dragonfly get close to them, put him to sleep, and then light the stack of 7. It'll spread to the stack of 13 afterwards, and that going off will make the dragonfly drop scales. You'll probably want to get out of there right away, though, as it'll still have plenty of health left. (you can also do this with two fewer gunpowder if you hit it a couple of times after each stack blows)

But the "real" useful drop for killing the Dragonfly right now is the lavae egg. It's only a 33% chance though, which... personally I'd like to see be increased to 100%, seeing as the lavae is a bit fragile/high-maintenance.

I am probably wrong, but I think I might've maybe heard somewhere that you can find blueprints for items which normally require the altar from tumbleweeds. If that's not true, you can always debug spawn the crafts and then delete the gems and other materials that you would have used to make them. Better yet, go debug spawn the altar.

You can find the blueprints, but they don't show up without the altar...

Archived