Your luckiest near-death experiences

So this is basically a place to share your closest and scariest near-deaths. If you did die but it was very very close to survival I guess that can go here too. I'l share one to start off.

It's day 230, playing as WX-78 and I just respawned from my last touch stone (no meat effigies). I foolishly used all of my resources on building things, so I have no materials for a camp fire or torch, and I'm too far away from my base to make it before night comes. I'm panicking, finding flint to make an axe and chop down a tree, with only a sliver of dusk left, and about to pick the grass I need to make the campfire when night falls. I get hit by the grue once, then twice, and begin to mourn the loss of the world I thought would be my first in-game year survived, when I hear it: gentle trickling. At first I think "of course it is raining when I lose my best world to date" then, as I take damage from the rain, a spark escapes from my hull, providing fleeting but ample light. I continue to let out sparks as WX takes damage from the rain. Morning comes, and I burst out in such laughter that my survival was almost rendered pointless by a spider, but I pulled it together and lived on that world until I had to get a new computer. It currently rests at around day 300. 

I love this thread!

emerphish -- I've only made it to 66 days, but I have had my near-misses!  I hope other people will add their stories. 

My worst act of Near Death Stupidity was on my 66th day.  I was feeling pretty unkillable, and decided I needed more rocks to make a wall around my berry bush patch. 

I hiked to the nearest wormhole that lead to the rock fields (I'd just learned how those work), and spent the day mining.  As night drew close, I made a wood fire (DUMB ... I didn't want to waste rocks on a firepit), cooked my rabbits, and I prepped cut rock and walls to take to camp later ... THEN realized I had no more wood to burn, or an ax.  My fire was dwindling, and went out.  I was attacked once, then I hard the Morning Music. 

All I could think was, I should have died!  How more stupid could I have been?  Filling up all my slots with nothing but rocks and gold, and a wood fire tab?  I've been so ticked at myself, I've started a new game in Reign of the Giants.

I love this thread!

emerphish -- I've only made it to 66 days, but I have had my near-misses!  I hope other people will add their stories. 

My worst act of Near Death Stupidity was on my 66th day.  I was feeling pretty unkillable, and decided I needed more rocks to make a wall around my berry bush patch. 

I hiked to the nearest wormhole that lead to the rock fields (I'd just learned how those work), and spent the day mining.  As night drew close, I made a wood fire (DUMB ... I didn't want to waste rocks on a firepit), cooked my rabbits, and I prepped cut rock and walls to take to camp later ... THEN realized I had no more wood to burn, or an ax.  My fire was dwindling, and went out.  I was attacked once, then I hard the Morning Music. 

All I could think was, I should have died!  How more stupid could I have been?  Filling up all my slots with nothing but rocks and gold, and a wood fire tab?  I've been so ticked at myself, I've started a new game in Reign of the Giants.

That is crazy close man. I would just accept the close call and keep going...cautiously... 

Day 100~ ish wigfrid cavs

I went spelunking in the caves.

I got some rock lobsters and  I started to head back up to the surface,

that's when I went through a spider filled swamp.

I made the lobsters aggro the spider dens so they wont follow me back to the surface, some spiders attacked me = broken log suit = 40 health.

I quickly ran to the surface (night) and ran to the base as fast as I can. 

I went next to an eye plant and it attacked me leaving me with 30 health.

then I heard the hounds coming, quickly changed direction to the hound trap,

the hounds came and one of them hit me, leaving me with  7 HEALTH I got to the trap and all the hounds died.

i am so lucky 

I exited the cave under the tallbird fort while actively starving to death and I immediately began to get the bearger warning.

So I ran to the new tunnel, into my base, scrambled to find and cook a tallbird egg, and then immediately jumped into the tunnel to the swamp.  No way I'd let bearger spawn in the base.

I left Chester behind so he wouldn't get killed by ground-slams.  Bearger arrived.  I started fighting him with the battle spear (hambat was almost rot) but it was already evening.  Not a problem, I deployed the fire I made earl... I'd already used the fire to chop trees at night and hadn't replaced it.  And bearger could destroy a fire pit.  And I left the lanterns underground.

Not a problem, I just had to last the night with two torches (52% and 62%); as long as I ran in circles and dodged bearger in the dark all was well.  And if I ate a raw morsel from a bird he killed with a ground slam, I'd stop taking damage from starvation again.  Might as well, there was already a crawling horror around.  I could even hit bearger with the tor... no, that was a crawling horror, and bearger took the opportunity to hit me.  But as long as I ran in circles, bear... no, that was the crawling horror again.

The sun rose, and I decided to lead him to the merm village.  And I used some spider glands I found in the caves while I ran, because my health was almost 0.  A couple seconds later, bearger was distracted eating piles of fish and frog legs, the pig houses and a fifth of the merm village were destroyed, and I had unsuccessfully navigated the merms and been punched a couple times.  I still had two and a half battle helmets but only ~30 health.  And the hounds were baying.  Lots of hounds.  Red ones.

Not a problem, it was just a matter of being swarmed by the hounds and killing them fast enough for Wigfrid's battleborn bonus to outpace the dog bites and starvation damage because that raw bird I ate earlier just ran out.  And staying out of the fires.  The fires that killed the last three hounds so I didn't get any health from them.

Still, 20 health was enough to run to the tunnel back to camp before starving to death.

Back in camp, I immediately set about my priorities:

1: I used healing salves from the medicine chest.  Seriously, the fridge had noting but monster jerky and ice, honey poultices were two chests further away than the salves (and just my luck I'd click the wrong chest as usual), and the 72 spare tallbird eggs were at the far end of the storage space.  Salves were good enough to outpace starvation and buy time.

2: I cooked some meatballs.  What else do you do with a fridge full of monster jerky and ice?  Seriously, the starvation thing was annoying.

3: I killed the crawling horror.  Speaking of problems that had been around for most of a day.

4: I gathered and ate the meatballs.  You ever tried to do that while a crawling horror's inches away from you?  The hunger could wait another twenty seconds while I dealt with that.

Crisis momentarily averted, I made two more meatballs and a new ham bat, healed with the honey poultices (I did click the wrong chest first!  I knew that would happen!), equipped a tam to keep the horrors at bay, and jumped back through the tunnel to finish the figh-- It just crashed?

When did the game last save?

<insert five minutes of Portal 2 here>

Black.  Screen.  Unusually long black screen... did the save get corrupted like that time WX died to lightning, fire and frog rain and was resurrected by lightning simultaneously?

Nope, it loaded.  At the crock pot collecting the third meatballs, thankfully.

Anyhow, I went back to what was left of Innsmouth, killed bearger and even prepared a new campfire with some of the trees he knocked down.  Walk in the park compared to what happened the day before until my torch ran out while running from a vengeful homeless merm survivor towards my swamp camp that's too close to a tallbird and I'm not really worried about the merm so much but add a tallbird in the dark and Charlie and... oh, so they didn't hit me before I could make a new torch?  That's a relief.

So I got to spend half a night relaxing at my swamp camp* listening to a merm and a tallbird fight each other off in the distance.  That made it all worthwhile.
*disclaimer: swamp camp is just a fire pit and a lightning rod placed much too close to a tallbird nest.

At least the other time a fight with bearger went this bad was with Willow so I could eat some seeds...

And if I ate a raw morsel from a bird he killed with a ground slam, I'd stop taking damage from starvation again.  Might as well, there was already a crawling horror around

I guess you could say you...Didn't Starve? :cool2:

That was hilariously beautiful. 

OH. MY. JESUSBHUDDAVISHNUANDOTHERRELIGIONSTOO.

I just went downstairs because the phone went off. I talked on the phone for fifteen, maybe twenty minutes.

I get back to me, having not paused the game, with a bee stinging me, 50 health, 80 wetness, and standing in the full moon. Had anything in that situation not gone exactly how it did, I would be dead right now.

Day 56 as Wilson. Was about to die after a hound attack, during the middle of the night. I ran around the stone paths to a pig village, and my torch went out just as the night turned to day. I managed to get to the pig village, and I used said pigs as warriors to defend me against the hound attack.

Then I smashed their houses with hammers and built them near my base.

I was bumbling around a Spring afternoon fairly late game, I don't even remember what I was doing. Get the notice for Hound attacks, so I make a bee line for the nearest Pig Village as I'm not huge on actually fighting things. As I walk into it, it turns to dusk. Since it's getting close to Summer the actual dusk/nights aren't terrible long and I can survive them just with a campfire. So I plop the campfire down and hide in the bush hat.

But then it starts raining. The Hounds have spawned by now, I'm smack in the middle of them pretending to be a bush and the only thing saving me from the Darkness is this campfire that's rather quickly dying. Putting more fuel on it requires me to not be a bush, and all the hounds would instantly aggro on me (they were practically on top of me as it was). I opt to sit tight and hope for the best.

Right as the fire is on its last flicker it changes over to day and the Pigs wake up and annihilate the Hounds. Crisis averted and Wilson lives to see another miserable day. 

Archived