Will Maxwell Be Playable?

Honestly, title says all.  Is Maxwell going to be playable or not?  He was my main in my journey though DS, even if he might not be the best, he was clearly the most dapper, thus I played as him.  Always.

So, what do you folks think?  Do you want to see Maxwell step through the portal or not?

I just had my first run with him on the solo and I'm afraid we'll have to suffer severe changes, only because of pvp again...The shadow puppets are awesome but imagine starting on a pvp server with night armour, dark sword and an army of three powerful puppets...Seriously I wish there were a different balance for a character whether we choose to play pvp or pve. I'm pretty sure Willow lost her fire immunity because of pvp, since it doesn't change anything regarding griefing.

Not to mention the fact that I have little consideration for pvp in such a game, I remember I was shocked to learn there would be a pvp mode when dst was announced, the idea didn't even come to my mind. Last time I checked there were 1/13 of pvp servers, so I'm sad we have to suffer changes for such a vocal minority.

I don't think the whole idea of starting with the best sword and armor in the game is going to play out very well, so he's probably going to be changed accordingly. It works fine in regular Don't Starve because he's the reward for beating the game, but I assume he'll be unlocked from the get-go like the other characters.

I don't know much about coding but he seems "easier" than Woodie. I think Klei wants to implement a different way to unlock him instead of just adding him to the game (maybe adventure mode dst? Who knows...).

The shadow armor + sword combo definitely will be powerful for griefing/pvp but he has some severe downsides too: half the HP of most characters, his shadows have the same amount of hp but unarmored, it cost 2 nightmare fuels + health loss + sanity cap to summon one (i don't remember exactly how much though), the shadow lasts for 2-3 days.

What i would suggest for changing him is to give him the shadow armor and dark sword blueprint instead of the items and more nightmare fuel to balance that (10 would be a good number, enough to make the armor and sword if you decide to not make shadows).

A buff to the shadow health would be very nice too, even if they make a nerf in attack to balance. It dies too easily for my taste.

The shadow armor + sword combo definitely will be powerful for griefing/pvp but he has some severe downsides too

Numbers, with conclusion at the end:

Maxwell health75Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.95 (nightarmor)Wilson health150Wilson damage34 (spear) * 0.5 (pvp) = 17Wilson absorption0.8 (armorwood)Nightsword uses100Nightarmor health150 * 5 * 0.7 = 525525 / 16.15 = 32.507733 spear hits breakDamage to Wilson34 * 0.2 = 6.8Hits needed to kill Wilson150 / 6.8 = 22.058823 hitsDamage to Maxwell17 * 0.05 = 0.85Hits needed to kill Maxwell75 / 0.85 = 88.235289 hits > 23 hitsAssuming 1-on-1 hit trade, Maxwell will kill one WilsonI)Assume healingRemaining Maxwell statsMaxwell health75Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.95 (nightarmor)Nightsword uses77Nightarmor health525 - (16.15 * 23) = 153.5510 spear hits breakAssume 10 hit trade between Maxwell and another WilsonAssume Maxwell has spare armorwoodRemaining Maxwell statsMaxwell health75 - 0.85 * 10 = 66.5Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.8 (armorwood)Nightsword uses67Wilson health150 - 6.8 * 10 = 82Wilson damage34 (spear) * 0.5 (pvp) = 17Wilson absorption0.8 (armorwood)Damage to Wilson34 * 0.2 = 6.8Hits needed to kill Wilson82 / 6.8 = 12.058813 hitsDamage to Maxwell17 * 0.2 = 3.4Hits needed to kill Maxwell75 / 3.4 = 22.058823 hits > 13 hitsII)Assume not healingRemaining Maxwell statsMaxwell health75 - 0.85 * 23 = 55.45Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.95 (nightarmor)Nightsword uses77Nightarmor health525 - (16.15 * 23) = 153.5510 spear hits breakAssume 10 hit trade between Maxwell and another WilsonAssume Maxwell has spare armorwoodRemaining Maxwell statsMaxwell health55.45 - 0.85 * 10 = 46.95Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.8 (armorwood)Nightsword uses67Wilson health150 - 6.8 * 10 = 82Wilson damage34 (spear) * 0.5 (pvp) = 17Wilson absorption0.8 (armorwood)Damage to Wilson34 * 0.2 = 6.8Hits needed to kill Wilson82 / 6.8 = 12.058813 hitsDamage to Maxwell17 * 0.2 = 3.4Hits needed to kill Maxwell46.95 / 3.4 = 13.8008814 hits > 13 hitsConclusion:Assuming- 1-on-1 hit trade off- Maxwell starts with his gear, and has extra armorwood- Wilsons have extra armorwood and spearsThenMaxwell can handle up to 2 Wilsonsa) if they are ganging up on him, barelyb) if separately, with time to heal, within a 10 hit windowMaxwell may handle up to 1 Wolfgang or Wigfrid- Wolfgang deals 2x damage when mighty- Wigfrid deals 25% extra damage, absorbs 25% health damage

Numbers, with conclusion at the end:

Maxwell health75Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.95 (nightarmor)Wilson health150Wilson damage34 (spear) * 0.5 (pvp) = 17Wilson absorption0.8 (armorwood)Nightsword uses100Nightarmor health150 * 5 * 0.7 = 525525 / 16.15 = 32.507733 spear hits breakDamage to Wilson34 * 0.2 = 6.8Hits needed to kill Wilson150 / 6.8 = 22.058823 hitsDamage to Maxwell17 * 0.05 = 0.85Hits needed to kill Maxwell75 / 0.85 = 88.235289 hits > 23 hitsAssuming 1-on-1 hit trade, Maxwell will kill one WilsonI)Assume healingRemaining Maxwell statsMaxwell health75Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.95 (nightarmor)Nightsword uses77Nightarmor health525 - (16.15 * 23) = 153.5510 spear hits breakAssume 10 hit trade between Maxwell and another WilsonAssume Maxwell has spare armorwoodRemaining Maxwell statsMaxwell health75 - 0.85 * 10 = 66.5Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.8 (armorwood)Nightsword uses67Wilson health150 - 6.8 * 10 = 82Wilson damage34 (spear) * 0.5 (pvp) = 17Wilson absorption0.8 (armorwood)Damage to Wilson34 * 0.2 = 6.8Hits needed to kill Wilson82 / 6.8 = 12.058813 hitsDamage to Maxwell17 * 0.2 = 3.4Hits needed to kill Maxwell75 / 3.4 = 22.058823 hits > 13 hitsII)Assume not healingRemaining Maxwell statsMaxwell health75 - 0.85 * 23 = 55.45Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.95 (nightarmor)Nightsword uses77Nightarmor health525 - (16.15 * 23) = 153.5510 spear hits breakAssume 10 hit trade between Maxwell and another WilsonAssume Maxwell has spare armorwoodRemaining Maxwell statsMaxwell health55.45 - 0.85 * 10 = 46.95Maxwell damage68 (nightsword) * 0.5 (pvp) = 34Maxwell absorption0.8 (armorwood)Nightsword uses67Wilson health150 - 6.8 * 10 = 82Wilson damage34 (spear) * 0.5 (pvp) = 17Wilson absorption0.8 (armorwood)Damage to Wilson34 * 0.2 = 6.8Hits needed to kill Wilson82 / 6.8 = 12.058813 hitsDamage to Maxwell17 * 0.2 = 3.4Hits needed to kill Maxwell46.95 / 3.4 = 13.8008814 hits > 13 hitsConclusion:Assuming- 1-on-1 hit trade off- Maxwell starts with his gear, and has extra armorwood- Wilsons have extra armorwood and spearsThenMaxwell can handle up to 2 Wilsonsa) if they are ganging up on him, barelyb) if separately, with time to heal, within a 10 hit windowMaxwell may handle up to 1 Wolfgang or Wigfrid- Wolfgang deals 2x damage when mighty- Wigfrid deals 25% extra damage, absorbs 25% health damage

I doubt that Maxwell alone would kill Wolfgang or Wigfrid. You have to consider that if Wolfgang has anything stronger than a spear he deals more damage (in his mighty form) when compared to Maxwell, and besides that he has 300 HP. On Wigfrid, I don't know exactly... maybe if she's using just her helmet and spear she could be killed, but if she has another piece of armor, the extra resistance should guarantee her the kill.

I doubt that Maxwell alone would kill Wolfgang or Wigfrid. You have to consider that if Wolfgang has anything stronger than a spear he deals more damage (in his mighty form) when compared to Maxwell, and besides that he has 300 HP. On Wigfrid, I don't know exactly... maybe if she's using just her helmet and spear she could be killed, but if she has another piece of armor, the extra resistance should guarantee her the kill.

Mighty Wolfgang has the health of 2 Wilsons (150 x 2 = 300), and the damage of 2 Wilsons (1 x 2 = 2 multiplier).

And I showed how Maxwell could handle 2 Wilsons.

I did the math with Wigfrid helmets (0.8 absorption then 0.25 health damage absorption) and Maxwell still won over 1 Wigfrid.

Not by that much when compared to Wilson.

You shouldn't underestimate the very powerful 0.95 of the night armor.

Still, Maxwell should be added with the night armor and the dark sword, and see what happens in PvP.

Or rework Maxwell to give him a different role in DST, we don't know what is in store for him.

Things look one way in theory and another way in practice.

Maxwell is my favorite character. However just like what everyone has stated is that they just need to get rid of the dark sword and night armor combo he starts out with. Otherwise I think he is fine as is. If they gave him a secondary positive ability, it would be along the lines of a discounted crafted items that contain nightmare fuel as a resource. So he could be a team player by helping people craft some of that high tier magic stuff for everyone. Or for a more selfish thing to do, is make all magic tier items on him become more powerful. Which would make him less fun to play against in PvP.

Things look one way in theory and another way in practice.

Very well said. We can't accurately say what will and will not work until we test it. That's why we have these betas after all. Players often find ways to work around or trivialize even the greatest challenges, and I suspect Maxwell will be no different.

Sanity drain is a moot point since it is insanely easy to kill nightmares, so that ability is pointless.

Dark sword and armor is nice but you can get those easily by day 2 or 3 without much effort on any other character.

I would be most interested in his ability to make shadow clones.

Sanity drain is a moot point since it is insanely easy to kill nightmares, so that ability is pointless.

Dark sword and armor is nice but you can get those easily by day 2 or 3 without much effort on any other character.

I don't think I am playing the same game you are playing...

Collecting Rabbits, going insane, getting lucky on beardling loot rng, collecting reeds, find a totally normal tree, collect gold, collect stone, collect wood, collect silk, etc.

Those are time consuming things, and the "nightmares" range in difficulty depending if there is lag or not. Getting chased by three terrorbeaks is a common thing for me to experience when playing with insanity, them jerks will stun lock you and teleport right on top of you after you hit them.

I don't think I ever see anyone use the dark sword or armor on most servers. Most server I see can't even get a Shadow Manipulator running until after winter/summer. And if you're not playing Maxwell the sanity drain on those things are harsh, and most people don't want to deal with insanity because of the laggy shadow creatures, sounds, and screen effects. So on most servers, Maxwell starting with that gear is going to be an edge it seems. It's end-game equipment.

And Maxwell can make the sword and armor even faster after they break because he starts the game with about half the materials needed to make the shadow manipulator (4 nightmare fuel and purple gem)

I would expect Maxwell to be an in-game event. Like going to ruins, then further to releasing him.. Whomever releases him becomes Maxwell (just like adventure mode). In other words, not a character to start your adventure with, but instead a character you can switch to, after a season or two into the server.

Archived