How do I disable overheating?

Hi,

I'd like to disable overheating on a world that already exists. RoG was deployed and updated my previous worlds, and it has overheating on it.

How do I disable overheating on an existing world?

Also to be answered :

On a new world, without removing summer, how do I disable overheating? Similar to the way I can disable smouldering without removing summer.

Thanks.

So....

A world I had, which was the way I wanted it and had played for 200+ days, is ruined, because Klei "updated" the game, has added a feature I do not want, have never wanted, and cannot disable?

A world I had, which was the way I wanted it and had played for 200+ days, is ruined, because Klei "updated" the game, has added a feature I do not want, have never wanted, and cannot disable?

You know if you don't like a game you can stop playing it and play another game, also there is a suggestion forum here http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/76-dont-starve-together-beta-suggestions-and-feedback/?sort_key=start_date&sort_by=Z-A where you could suggest that they add a turn off overheating mechanic option and not be rood to the devs that worked hard to make a great game.

Edit : Or you can also ask someone or make yourself a mod that stops overheating in the game.

You know if you don't like a game you can stop playing it and play another game, also there is a suggestion forum here http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/76-dont-starve-together-beta-suggestions-and-feedback/?sort_key=start_date&sort_by=Z-A where you could suggest that they add a turn off overheating mechanic option and not be rood to the devs that worked hard to make a great game.

Edit : Or you can also ask someone or make yourself a mod that stops overheating in the game.

I will suggest it.

And who is being rude?

And I've already contacted a mod author. I'm not learning to code to fix someone else's mistake.

Over heating was always planned to be part of the game, It just wasn't implemented before they added RoG content.

When you play an early access game you have to be prepared for things like this. Usually not a good idea to expect to keep worlds like they are for ever.

I'm still sorry it happened though. Sucks to loose a world or hava a feature implemented thats not fun for you.

Just keep in mind that is is very much possible to deal with using fairly easy methods. Just a new part of the game you have to learn, and new is fun!

Over heating was always planned to be part of the game, It just wasn't implemented before they added RoG content.

When you play an early access game you have to be prepared for things like this. Usually not a good idea to expect to keep worlds like they are for ever.

I'm still sorry it happened though. Sucks to loose a world or hava a feature implemented thats not fun for you.

Just keep in mind that is is very much possible to deal with using fairly easy methods. Just a new part of the game you have to learn, and new is fun!

I had similar experiences with minecraft, I just was a bit blind-sided by this, I guess my own lack of foresight.

And I don't agree with you at all about overheating.

I've got an eyebrella, a summer frest (I don't like the ones you can't repair), ice and a thermal stone (I don't like using it because it decays though). Also a regular umbrella.

That gives me a few minutes of running around doing things, without armor. If I take off the frest then I'm really quite time limited. If I want to fight then I need to give up the umbrella and the vest for a spear and logsuit.

Unlike freezing, I have no method of cooling myself down enough to continue adventuring. With freezing I can start a fire by lighting any number of objects, for example a dropped log, warming up and then continuing onwards with my beefalo hat and breezy vest. When overheating, I simply have to stand under a tree and even then that doesn't always work, and doesn't decrease it enough to "continue on", just enough to not take damage.

I disagree with it because it isn't realistic. In the height of summer in real life your options are myriad; remain indoors, carry water with you for rehydration (water carrying things like playtpi and camelbacks are great), live near a river for fresh water and to cool yourself down etc. In Don't Starve Freezing is logical but overheating is not because there are too few logical counters to it. Plenty of wilderness survival territory in real life exists as a forest canopy; shade is everywhere. In DST the trees don't function like this, there is no "canopy" for shade everywhere, in a real life situation you could make a camp under the forest canopy, offering protetion from sun and rain alike. Here, not so much.

I have learnt the methods and what not, I do understand it as a mechanic. It might also just be because I am from England, a place where while we do very much get hot summers, the idea of a "wildfire" is absolutely alien to us on the most part. Our summers are rainy enough for plants to continue growing, things to not just spontaneously combust but for us to still get long hot days too.

The "Summer" setting in DST seems to be more aimed at some of the unfortunate places globally where human habitation isn't really supposed to exist; anywhere where water is imported or drawn from acquifiers (sp?) or where air conditioning is ubiqutous.

Sorry for the long reply, I just didn't want you to think that I had not approached this mechanic due to unfamiliarity or simple ignorance.

I don't diasgre with you on that one. Winter is for sure more logical than summer. And in my opinion it gets kinda boring just becose you don't wanna run around and risk your world burning down.

Over heating im fine with though.

As for cooling down. luxury fan, chilled amulet and the occasional endo fire will take care of that. I use eyebrella, summer frest and just those things to cool down during summer. i also focus on caves and ruins where over heating takes a LOT longer.

Edit: Oh wait, caves and ruins are single player, my bad, ignore that last sentence :p

I don't diasgre with you on that one. Winter is for sure more logical than summer. And in my opinion it gets kinda boring just becose you don't wanna run around and risk your world burning down.

Over heating im fine with though.

As for cooling down. luxury fan, chilled amulet and the occasional endo fire will take care of that. I use eyebrella, summer frest and just those things to cool down during summer. i also focus on caves and ruins where over heating takes a LOT longer.

Edit: Oh wait, caves and ruins are single player, my bad, ignore that last sentence :razz:

No, I'm on board again. I lived in the caves during summer on singleplayer, which was a fun challenge and what not.

I'm really not keen on items which degrate hence my avoiding some of the things you listed.

@Kukela, In England during the peak of summer it is likely to see temperatures of 30 degrees celsius. This is what the usual temperature is during Autumn of Don't Starve. During Summer however the temperature usually peaks at 100 degrees celsius. (212 degrees fahrenheit, if you prefer) That without any form of protection is much much more than enough to kill a human and the fact that only a few things burst into flame is a blessing. 

We can save ourselves by wearing a giant ice cube on our head. At 100 degrees there should be nothing in Don't Starve bar magical items that should be able to prevent overheating or instant death for that matter.

EDIT: I should point out that the hottest temperature ever recorded was 56 degrees celsius. And that was hot enough to cause people serious damage. What isn't realistic about summer is the fact that at 100 degrees we still have eyes in our skulls. 

@Kukela, In England during the peak of summer it is likely to see temperatures of 30 degrees celsius. This is what the usual temperature is during Autumn of Don't Starve. During Summer however the temperature usually peaks at 100 degrees celsius. (212 degrees fahrenheit, if you prefer) That without any form of protection is much much more than enough to kill a human and the fact that only a few things burst into flame is a blessing. 

We can save ourselves by wearing a giant ice cube on our head. At 100 degrees there should be nothing in Don't Starve bar magical items that should be able to prevent overheating or instant death for that matter.

EDIT: I should point out that the hottest temperature ever recorded was 56 degrees celsius. And that was hot enough to cause people serious damage. What isn't realistic about summer is the fact that at 100 degrees we still have eyes in our skulls. 

DST has misrepresented temperature numerically (which normally isn't seen by the player, so eh). In single player Don't Starve Overheating starts at 35 Celsius and world temp peaks at like... 45 I think.

Why would they design a game where the ambient summer temperature is enough to boil water? This isn't wilderness survival, it's closer to surviving on the surface of Venus.

@Kukela, I've never really seen the DS world as if it was trying to portray real life survival tactics. You're in a strange, cursed, semi-magical world and you need to use this strange worlds resources to your advantage to escape. 

The seasons last from 16-21 days. (Yes this could be seen as game-logic but I like to think the seasons in this world are actually that short.) Nothing works quite like it does in real life.  

This isn't wilderness survival, it's closer to surviving on the surface of Venus.

Shadow creatures confirmed for setting up theater stage on surface of Venus.

Maxwell confirmed for first human in Venus.

More news at 11.

Shadow creatures confirmed for setting up theater stage on surface of Venus.

Maxwell confirmed for first human in Venus.

More news at 11.

Shadow creatures are a metaphor for insanity, hence using a brain icon, "sanity" meter and civilized actions replenishing it. They are perfectly appropriate even in a completely true-to-life survival simulation.

If you wanted to poke holes in my attitude of "Don't Starve is a semi-realistic wilderness survival game" then you should have aimed at : Magic, Pigmen, Spider Queens etc.

However, if you were trying to imply my reference to Venus was inappropriate, be aware that at 100 celcius as referenced by some guy earlier in the thread, no plants would survive, no water would exist (for long) without boiling and evaporating and so forth. It is an absolutely un-earth like biosphere at those temperatures.

The Icecube Hat is the easiest way to cool yourself down when you're exploring (although without other equipment like frests or umbrellas to supplement it, it won't be foolproof) and even though it degrades, you can use Ice on it to repair it, and both of those will not degrade at all whilst in an icebox. You won't want to wear the icecube the entire time you're out since it makes you wet, but just putting it on now and again gets the job done.

Chilled amulets are also good (and don't require ice that is no longer obtainable during summer itself), although you might not want to use gems for them until after you've actually fought enough blue hounds to have somewhat of a surplus.

Similar to the way I can disable smouldering without removing summer.
you can? So, I guess they finally fixed it.

You know if you don't like a game you can stop playing it and play another game, also there is a suggestion forum here http://forums.kleien...ate&sort_by=Z-A where you could suggest that they add a turn off overheating mechanic option and not be rood to the devs that worked hard to make a great game.
I'm quite sure he was just asking semi-politely. Never assume the worst.

well, I'm not really sure what an old 200+ days world would still be capable of giving you in regards to fun, but yes. It's ruined for vanilla. If you're creating a new world, though, you can simply set no summer.

I had similar experiences with minecraft, I just was a bit blind-sided by this, I guess my own lack of foresight.
here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1272992-better-than-wolves-now-with-blunt-force-trauma You're welcome.

The "Summer" setting in DST seems to be more aimed at some of the unfortunate places globally where human habitation isn't really supposed to exist
ouch.

During Summer however the temperature usually peaks at 100 degrees celsius.
Yeah, everybody is dead. The world has burnt to the ground. Nothing can survive. But at least I can make coffee at room temperature.

However, if you were trying to imply my reference to Venus was inappropriate, be aware that at 100 celcius as referenced by some guy earlier in the thread, no plants would survive, no water would exist (for long) without boiling and evaporating and so forth. It is an absolutely un-earth like biosphere at those temperatures.
it was a joke.

Yeah, I never really liked summer too. It always felt way too copy-pasted or based too much on thematic in a way that kinda forgot gameplay and consistency. I know that everybody at klei is for some reason completely against water as a resource and all that, but I always thought that summer and spring would be much more interesting if they had things like hydration and water gathering instead of just plain backwards freezing with backwards fire.

You are objectively wrong on this one. Shadow creatures are NOT a metaphor.
Have you been to the Ruins? 

Do you know anything about this games lore? Seriously.
guys, chill. I don't think it's in anyway obligatory for someone to know about the backstory of a non-story driven game. From any player who hasn't participated in the community puzzles and hasn't paid much attention to adventure mode(which doesn't exist in DST)'s  perspective, they might as well be. No need to freak out and gang on him because he isn't a lvl 19 jedi warlock master.

Archived