Bearger impossible to fight?

Hooray, another "I couldn't do it so it's impossible" Xirmix thread.

1) I put a question mark in the title

2) I was wondering whether it's possible to beat him while he's hibernating in any way (other than using gunpowder or something) without tanking him endlessly and not implying that he is impossible to fight, merely that it seems that way while he's hibernating.

3) You're ignorant as... You can only get so far in argumentative discussions because of your ignorance. And the fact that you're a psycho >_>

1) I put a question mark in the title

2) I was wondering whether it's possible to beat him while he's hibernating in any way (other than using gunpowder or something) without tanking him endlessly and not implying that he is impossible to fight, merely that it seems that way while he's hibernating.

3) You're ignorant as... You can only get so far in argumentative discussions because of your ignorance. And the fact that you're a psycho >_>

Kill him or get rid of him before he hibearnates and you're golden. It's a nice kick in tha butt to players who just put him to sleep and run away (nasty surprises are one of the things DS does best). Now that tactic is slightly less effective.

Kill him or get rid of him before he hibearnates and you're golden. It's a nice kick in tha butt to players who just put him to sleep and run away (nasty surprises are one of the things DS does best). Now that tactic is slightly less effective.

In other words: Gunpowder

@XirmiX, I haven't tested this but I was under the impression that he only does his Hibernation yawn while he is hibernating AKA only in Winter. So just wait 16 days and then kill him. 

EDIT: Just tested it and yes he does only do the yawn during Hibernation. I spawned a Bearger in autumn, killed it fine. Switched to Winter and did the same thing and he spammed his yawn, eventually killed him but it was a little harder due to the slower movement speed. Then I spawned him in Winter and after he had done 3 yawns I switched it to Autumn and he stopped Yawning. It is definitely only in Winter so I don't see this as a problem, even I could still solo him with the yawns it just took much longer.

The lesson we learned today, let sleeping Beargers lie.

He does his yawn anytime he wakes up. He killed me because of this because i used the pan flute then started to melee him (i play as wigfrid) and when he woke up he did that yawn move i never knew existed and he killed me before i could wake up. do you mean he does his yawn in winter randomly or he can ONLY do it in winter? because i was in fall when he did it after waking up

erm... language?

Yes. The Dragonfly's health is too big. It's item things are very unpolished and non-sensical and it really should really have some greater interactions with the seasons(like maybe it could have some extralarge lava pool that it sinks in when it's too cold and if it's forced out it turns blue-ish and flees back to the pool. Maybe the other pools freeze in winter and it has to flee or set fire to a bunch of stuff around the place, making it too hot for people.)

It's funny that my response to your complaining about this is thinking of more ways that the giants could behave differently. But yes, your main complaints, the loot and the health do feel weird to me too. I'm not really sure the animation is that simple, but I also agree that it should have some aggro face.

It's not that I hate variety much, but variety in variety (I think I said something like that before), so for example, in mathematics there are sequences like:

2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc.

And the difference is 2, however, If I was to have a sequence that is like this:

8, 12, 18, 27, 40, 58

the sequence would be much more complicated. Now, I do like variety in things, but the idea of having seasonal giants and them all having a lot in common seems much better, and I am not the only one who thinks that they should be seasonal (Btw, nice idea of having Bearger hibernate in caves during all the other seasons. I was thinking something similar that may be during all the seasons except Spring, Gmoose would be in the sky somewhere, and so would be the Dragonfly, but not during Summer. And Deerclops... Under the sea somewhere while it's not Winter?). It was awesome the way it was, of course it is awesome to have bases for giants and have more expanded on them, but the in terms of expanding on giants' behaviours and features, I think that devs went the wrong way. And if giants are gonna have high amounts of health it's better if every giant has round about the same amount. I'd recommend having all health x3 instead of x10 that of single player, though.

I don't see why anything would follow the pattern really. Just becuase something belongs to the same category or uses the same mechanic, doesn't mean it has to follow the same pattern. In real life we have large birds that hunt, or birds that aren't much bigger than a bee and prefer to drink nectar, despite of them both being "a bird". Some other animals have even less in common and you would have never guess they origin from the same ancestor or even belong to the same family in the animal kingdom. That's why we have classification that includes many different shared characteristsics on many different levels.

There is just no logic explanation of why them being "giant" should make them follow the same pattern. You ARE trying to make it unnecessarily simplistic.

Perhaps the only thing that is not perfect is that players may be confused becuase they expect Dragonfly to be more or less as strong as other giants, but than again, you cannot guess much at the first contact with many of Don't Starve enemies, items or mechanics.

• Developer

He does his yawn anytime he wakes up. He killed me because of this because i used the pan flute then started to melee him (i play as wigfrid) and when he woke up he did that yawn move i never knew existed and he killed me before i could wake up. do you mean he does his yawn in winter randomly or he can ONLY do it in winter? because i was in fall when he did it after waking up

DoctorKremer, are you sure it was fall? Bearger is supposed to hibernate in winter and spring, but not summer or fall. 

DoctorKremer, are you sure it was fall? Bearger is supposed to hibernate in winter and spring, but not summer or fall.

Bearger yawns once when he wakes up. Just once, then he starts fighting you.

This always happens, regardless the season.

Spawn bearger in fall, use pan flute, then hit him.

He keeps yawning inbetween attacks in his groggy build during winter and spring.

• Developer

Bearger yawns once when he wakes up. Just once, then he starts fighting you.

This always happens, regardless the season.

Spawn bearger in fall, use pan flute, then hit him.

He keeps yawning inbetween attacks in his groggy build during winter and spring.

Oh, right, I keep forgetting about the pan flute.

Oh, right, I keep forgetting about the pan flute.

So...

Summer, Autumn =  Yawns only when woken up after being put to sleep by pan flute/sleep dart

Winter, Spring = Hibernating; Always(?) yawns when awake...

Is... is that right? O__O

So...

Summer, Autumn =  Yawns only when woken up after being put to sleep by pan flute/sleep dart

Winter, Spring = Hibernating; Always(?) yawns when awake...

Is... is that right? O__O

Summer, Autumn = Yawns only when woken up in generally.

Winter, Spring = Hibernating, regularly yawns without any external source that could cause it.

Summer, Autumn = Yawns only when woken up in generally. Winter, Spring = Hibernating, regularly yawns without any external source that could cause it.

*spins 5 times in chair*

P.S. It isn't a chair that spins...

O__O

The only things giants need in common to be called giants is their size. Are they exceptionally large? If the answer is yes then they, sir, are a giant. Boom. Lawyer-ed. I wanted to say it was silly that the dragonfly drops gems, but then I realized that dragons hoard shiny things, like gold and gems. So really it aught to drop some gold as well with the other loot. It would be cooler if there was a loot pile that you could mine and it would drop gold and gems each time you hit it that the dragonfly guarded. Then there would be no reason for it to inexplicably drop them.

Edit: you know, like a sweet pile of gold bullion and gems and a random crown. That would be great.

This, I like this idea. It would give just a little more atmosphere. I mean yeah the Magma Pools are hot (and look pretty darn neato in the winter dusks) and all, but it would make sense why it doesn't want you near them. (Other than its booger babies I guess, but I don't want them anyway)

It could be an alternate way to get gems instead of fighting hounds and chasing tumbleweeds. Or even the cave gems. If you die there your skeleton should totally become a piece of the display, being made out of gold instead of regular bones, because the Dragonfly earned that trophy.

Sorry Wilson, Maxwell is in another biome!

Archived