The Ancient Guardian

Am I the only one that doesn't want the Ancient Guardian to be a one-off wasted giant in the depths of the ruins? I mean that's awesome for single player, but I think the Ancient Guardian should be renamed something and be a naturally spawning entity on the overworld like the rest of the giants. I wanna be walking through some forest somewhere and all of a sudden I'm getting barreled down on by the wooly rhino.

If he gets moved from the ruins to the surface, ruins will be even less atractive. Right now, the guardian is the main reason to go to the ruins. Without him, what do you got? Items with VERY low durability (Yellow and orange amulet, for example) and armor that have way cheaper alternatives. If you need more protection, just craft a spare log suit and football helmet. Even the shadow armor is more practical then thulecite armor.

Please, leave the guardian there. A buff in the attack speed of the houndius shootius would also be great, he's too slow for my taste.

He should stay in the ruins but instead of a "ONE-TIME" boss, turn him into a RAID-BOSS!!

Makes more sense that way... O__O

caves/ruins + very powerful Minotaur + loot + reneweable boss = RAID BOSS!! *Mr. Tourge does a guitar solo*

O__O

Honestly I would like to see a complete overhaul to the ancient guardian. It just does not feel unique enough as a boss. Especially considering it's mechanics are heavily based on the clockwork rooks mechanics.  

Lore-wise, yes.

Clockwork rooks were added into the game before AG tough, making up most of its AI.

That is pretty much what I mean. I feel that way about both the Ancient Guardian and the Dangling Depth Dweller spiders. It's like those two never got a whole lot of love to make them more feel more unique like most of the other cave content.

Rooks came first, and the Ancient Guardian is just a Rook all hopped up on nightmare fuel.

So, yeah, its based on a Clockwork Rook.

lorewise however, the people of the ancient ruin died out before maxwell came along and the AG was one of the few remnant's, thereofre LOREWISE Rook's are designed off AG. 

lorewise however, the people of the ancient ruin died out before maxwell came along and the AG was one of the few remnant's, thereofre LOREWISE Rook's are designed off AG. 

No, I mean the Ancient Guardian is LITERALLY a Rook hopped up on Nightmare Fuel.

Also there are other run down clockworks all over the Ruins, which means that they existed there long ago.

That is pretty much what I mean. I feel that way about both the Ancient Guardian and the Dangling Depth Dweller spiders. It's like those two never got a whole lot of love to make them more feel more unique like most of the other cave content.
Well now that we have multiplayer they could make it so Dangling Depth Dweller spiders now shoot web at players and make them ether slower or unable to move.

No, I mean the Ancient Guardian is LITERALLY a Rook hopped up on Nightmare Fuel.   Also there are other run down clockworks all over the Ruins, which means that they existed there long ago.

Well, no. It's made up of Meat, and no other mechanical parts (oh, and the horn too) so lore-wise, it would be more believable that the Rook was based on the AG, besides, Maxwell makes a remark saying it was an "old friend" (speculate more here).

Wait, I admit I forgot which one was implemented first, is it the Rook or the AG? (but lore wise it would make more sense that the AG came before or at the same time as the Rook... or before it)

Well, no. It's made up of Meat, and no other mechanical parts (oh, and the horn too) so lore-wise, it would be more believable that the Rook was based on the AG, besides, Maxwell makes a remark saying it was an "old friend" (speculate more here).

Wait, I admit I forgot which one was implemented first, is it the Rook or the AG? (but lore wise it would make more sense that the AG came before or at the same time as the Rook... or before it)

It's possible that Nightmare Fuel could have changed it into a meaty creature (I'm not about to argue the logistics of nightmare fuel though).

As well, like I said, broken clockworks (Rooks too) existed in the the ruins as well, which Maxwell created. Maxwell also saw the fall of the civilization that lived there before.

So, to put multiple things together, Maxwell was present when the Ruins civilization was active. Maxwell created Clockworks and put them there. Nightmare creatures then invaded and destroyed the civilization. The area, as it is now, is polluted with nightmare creatures and nightmare fuel. Maxwell implies that he knew the Guardian before, and that it was changed by the fuel. Therefor, it's incredibly likely that the Rook came first.

Also I believe the order of implementation was Caves > Rook > Ruins+Guardian.

It's totally possible that the Ancient Guardian could have existed first, but with the information we have it's not likely. But its not exactly like we have enough info to confirm it either way. Maybe someone @Klei could give us a small little tidbit of info?

Maxwell created Clockworks and put them there.

Actually no, the people of the Ancient Civilization created them... and Maxwell adapted and adopted them for his purpose.

It states here in the trivias that the rook was designed after to look like the guardian

And here, also in it's trivias that the AG was a friend of his (implying that it could have been human once but it's inconclusive... wait)

Maxwell states that

Maxwell found them and adapted them for his own use. It seems that they were also religious as the Ancient Pseudoscience Station is referred to by Maxwell as a place they may have worshipped at.

Past tense... so the Ancient Civilization came before him. He also sounds like he was also speculating about the APS's purpose... so... they came first?  he adapted their technology as it is further stated when inspecting the axe/pickaxe:

"I don't know why I didn't think of this."

But then when inspecting a Houndius Shootius

"Some of my better work."

Did he adapt this too or was it a craft that the Ancients also used? But seeing as how the Deerclops eye would not be accessible to them then it wouldn't have been and would support Maxwell's claim.

But what I don't get is the Ancient Guardian,

The ancients were also protected by a powerful guardian, but even its great strength helped little against the shadow creatures, and it was transformed into the beast that can be found in the deep labyrinths of the ruins.

But then

The Ancient Guardian was an old friend of Maxwell.

Its current form is the product of Nightmare Fuel, as suggested by Maxwell's examination.

So the ancient guardian was a friend of Maxwell's but the way he talks suggests that these things came before him... sure he plugged up the hole to keep the nightmare cycle, nightmare creatures and (most) of their influences at bay...

So did he or did he not create the Ancient Civilization?

(Oh but yeah I checked the Wiki and the Rook was implemented before the AG)

So did he or did he not create the Ancient Civilization?

(Oh but yeah I checked the Wiki and the Rook was implemented before the AG)

Maxwell says that there was almost nothing when He arrived except for Them. I'm pretty sure Maxwell created the Ancient Civilization and befriended the Ancient Guardian. Then Them mutated the Ancient Guardian, but for all I know, Maxwell did create the Ancient Civilization

Archived