Character Sounds.

Okay, so, straight to business; I've been really interested in the dark depths of the Don't Starve files recently. Well, after seeing the thread about the weird sounds, like "maniac laughter" at night, I decided to go looking at sound files.

Well, after a bit of looking around, I found something interesting. Not the sounds of the night (Which I am still looking for) but THIS: post-6161-13764589862991_thumb.jpg

The point of interest here is the bottom 11 sounds, from Wallace to wx78. If you don't already know what that is, and can't figure it out. Those are some of the already added characters, as well as a few of the un-added characters found in the files a while back.

The full list:

Wallace

Waverly

Webber

Wendy

Wes

Wickerbottom

Wilbur

Willow

Wilson

Wilton

Winnie

Wolfgang

Woodie

Wortox

Wx78

The thing is though, as pointed out by someone in that thread, not all of those characters are actually confirmed, except for the ones already implemented, and Wickerbottom. (I think we have enough evidence to say she's confirmed.)

All that aside though, this shows that at least some of those characters have actually been worked on, aside from the idea texturing. So that means that

Wallace

Waverly

Webber

Wendy

Wes

Wickerbottom

Wilbur

Willow

Wilson

Wilton

Winnie

Wolfgang

Woodie

Wortox

Wx78

As well as an unmentioned in the second linked thread, Woodrow.

So, I think that this means a lot more of these characters either are or closer to being confirmed. At the same time though, some of these characters don't have sound files, while some (Woodrow) doesn't have a texture. So maybe these sound files are also just simply "Idea Files", like the textures.

Anyways, i'm working on figuring out how to open these files. (.fsb files are a pain.) So when I do, i'll compile them up and upload the video on Youtube, and of course share it here. If anyone else wants to do it, go ahead.

EDIT 12/23/12: Since opening these files isn't going well, something occurred to me. Maybe I can swap the sound files with Wilson's sound files, like "___" did for the portaits. However, I don't know HOW to swap files. I tried renaming the file I wanted to hear to "wilson", just like the Wilson file, hoping that maybe the coding would read the sound file for a file named "wilson", and select that one. (I saved the original "wilson" file somewhere else, so i didn't lose it.) However, this didn't work. In fact, no sound played when I examined something, because the actual "wilson" file wasn't present. There may be another way to do it though.

Edited by TheHomeChicken

Just because they've been worked on for a bit doesn't necessarily mean they won't be cut from the final game. Only time will tell.

That is most certainly true. But i still feel like that if they're worked on, then it seems more likely, y'know? A scene in a movie with concept art is much more likely to be cut from the final draft, then a scene with all the proper angles worked out, actors, etc.

I'm curious to see how much of this makes it into the game. As for opening those files, good luck!

Same here. Like I said, it's obvious a good bit of it won't be implemented, but I feel like there is a higher chance of at least some of it being. :)

As for the files, thanks! I sure need it. The software that is designed to open .fsb files won't open the FSB files xD Maybe i'm doing something wrong, or maybe Don't Starve just likes to make things complicated.

Since opening these files isn't going well, something occurred to me. Maybe I can swap the sound files with Wilson's sound files, like "___" did for the portaits. However, I don't know HOW to swap files. I tried renaming the file I wanted to hear to "wilson", just like the Wilson file, hoping that maybe the coding would read the sound file for a file named "wilson", and select that one. (I saved the original "wilson" file somewhere else, so i didn't lose it.) However, this didn't work. In fact, no sound played when I examined something, because the actual "wilson" file wasn't present. There may be another way to do it though.

I did add this to the OP as well

Since opening these files isn't going well, something occurred to me. Maybe I can swap the sound files with Wilson's sound files, like "___" did for the portaits. However, I don't know HOW to swap files. I tried renaming the file I wanted to hear to "wilson", just like the Wilson file, hoping that maybe the coding would read the sound file for a file named "wilson", and select that one. (I saved the original "wilson" file somewhere else, so i didn't lose it.) However, this didn't work. In fact, no sound played when I examined something, because the actual "wilson" file wasn't present. There may be another way to do it though.

i remember fiddling with sound files before. i switched around some in a game called starcraft 2 and made some things sound ridiculously funny. i used a few programs to swap it though

Yeah there's a thread somewhere where someone got pictures of all the characters portrait art by renamed the other art 1 by 1 to 'wilson'.filename so they showed up on the mainscreen and took pictures.

It's a shame this didn't seem to work for you with the sound files! :(

Yeah there's a thread somewhere where someone got pictures of all the characters portrait art by renamed the other art 1 by 1 to 'wilson'.filename so they showed up on the mainscreen and took pictures.

It's a shame this didn't seem to work for you with the sound files! :(

Yeah, i think i referenced that in the op.

But yeah, thats what my logic was too.

Not gonna **** around here.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/dontstarvecurrentchars.png/

^^^These are some of the characters when the game files are modified to have them replace Wilson. It's just textures, but they do move around as intended.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?3043-SPOILER-So-about-that-portraits-folder-in-the-data&highlight=webber

^^^Thread where I got that image from.

(For those who don't want to follow links, this is the picture:

dontstarvecurrentchars.png
Edited by kilozombie2

Not gonna **** around here.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/dontstarvecurrentchars.png/

^^^These are some of the characters when the game files are modified to have them replace Wilson. It's just textures, but they do move around as intended.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?3043-SPOILER-So-about-that-portraits-folder-in-the-data&highlight=webber

^^^Thread where I got that image from.

(For those who don't want to follow links, this is the picture:

dontstarvecurrentchars.png

Yeah, ive seen all those :p

@TheHomeChicken:

What programm are u using to listen to them?

He's not be around since august. Next time take a look at the last reply's date, and if it's too old then don't bother posting.

There was even a warning at the top of the thread i assume...