Scripting&Coding

Coski

Hey ! I'm a newbie , I am very sorry if I post this in the wrong place but I like very much how others make mods and I want to understand how they do it and I want to understand scripting and coding.

Can you please give me some tutorials and explain me how can I start doing this and what tutorials should I follow , and how can I start doing codes and maybe.. one day start making mods ? I really want to do that kind of things but I don't know how to start and what should I learn... :joyous:

The "Getting Startled" page at the top of the mod forums is pretty good.

Yes , but I personally think that the "Getting Started" page doesn't teach you the basics of programming.

I mean...I have no ideea what that codes are ! No ideea ! I just know that if you combine them good ,  the result it's a cool mod  :highly_amused:

Yes , but I personally think that the "Getting Started" page doesn't teach you the basics of programmingarrow-10x10.png.

I mean...I have no ideea what that codes are ! No ideea ! I just know that if you combine them good ,  the result it's a cool mod  :highly_amused:

Coski,

I didn't know much about code either, But I'm learning (really really slow i might add) 

There are some great tutorials here to learn how to do some really cool stuff in game. But I have to warn you,

Alot of learning, comes from the experiance with mistakes.

You have to make them, and be determined that THIS is important enough for you to forgo failure, to achieve victory. And you will fail, ALOT.

But, as you do some of the tutorials, I assure you. If this is important to you, then you will overcome your mishaps, and begin your path to the darkside, AHEM.....to modding. 

So pay the price, pic a mod tutorial, and jump in. Try the "extended character template". After that, try the "building a custom item from scratch. And finally the creature mod tutorials

When you have a question, check out the unofficial API documentation, a page developed from some of the vets of the community. And if that doesnt help, search search search.

Believe me when I say this, the first two months of modding, your going to make many mistakes, that have already been made, from items not showing up, to mod crashes. It's all in here, Sometimes you cant find what your looking for, run a search on your computer for donotstarve, look for the log, and make sure you post it if you need to ask a question, it will help resolve some of your issues. 

and good luck! 

Thank you so much ! I don't understand one thing , what exactly is LUA and API ? I mean what's the difference ? :D

Thank you so much ! I don't understand one thing , what exactly is LUA and API ? I mean what's the difference ? :grin:

Lua is a programming language, usually used for scripts (scripts are basically lists that tell the program to do this and that). An API is a way for third party programmers to implement their crazy codes. In the case of Don't Starve, the API allows you to set up a bunch of Lua scripts and have it be treated as if it was part of the game files (as well as some methods to edit existing scripts, the so-called "PostInit" functions).

Also, don't hesitate to ask questions you can't find answers for on these forums, nor to make a messy mod and get your hands dirty. One can only learn how to do something from doing it, after all.

@Coski Adding onto what Mobbstar said, Lua is the language used in DS which is accessible to modders. API stands for Application Programming Interface. Generally, an API provides some functions and tools for a third party to "talk to" an application in a simple and reliable way. For DS, since most of the game is written in end-user accessible Lua code, we can pretend that most of it is an API, even if it wasn't intended for that purpose.

The API examples demonstrates which functions were actually made with the intention to be used by a third party (modders).

Archived