Griefing is not a problem for Klei to worry about.

1. Admin-only servers: Servers that cannot be joined unless an admin is present. This allows you to host a dedicated server and without having to babysit taking it down and putting it back up on the schedules of admins, while also protecting it from the one griefer who sneaks in during admin downtime. This would combo well with pause-when-empty.
  2. Functional votekick. I'm not saying this should exist on the official PvP dedicated servers-- in fact, I would say that griefers by definition cannot exist in truly PvP environment. That being said, some people put PvP on because they just want to whack one another occasionally, so someone coming in and burning all their stuff still violates their interpretation of the rules they've set. More on that in the next suggestion.
  3. Better lobby screen (this is supposed to be Seth's next project, I think). This would allow you to provide more information to incoming players, like whether you really mean this to be a free-for-all, or mostly a cooperative experience where you have the option of whacking someone to let them know you're annoyed, or whatever.
  4. Administrative log. This would be a log of player actions that would be visible to admins, documenting potential griefing events. This would help prevent situations where all the players are away from base, a griefer comes along and burns down the base, takes all the valuable items, and leaves.
  5. Reputation system. This would not be enabled in PvP for obvious rage-related reasons, and it would probably be good to have the option to turn it off anyway. Klei has stated they won't police in-game behavior, so something like this is probably off the table, but I hope they do reconsider. When someone griefs in clearly cooperative games-- and it definitely does happen (hosting a game called "Cooperative Paradise"-- someone joins as Webber and plots to use spider minions to attack people)-- they get away with it because we have no tools to make reputation stick. In a large, semi-anonymous community (given that people can change names easily), word of mouth is hardly adequate for spreading reputation. I would say that reputation should not be tied directly to kicking, banning, or any filtering system, but have a separate vote up-or-down. You might argue that this is better suited for a mod, but implementing a decentralized reputation system is way more technically difficult and prone to error than a centralized one, which is what Klei would be able to do.

As always, you're a godsend rezecib. I really like all these suggestions; I think the fourth one has the most potential to completely address the issues in question. What comes to mind for me is LogBlock and Prism; I was a moderator and eventually an admin on a Minecraft server for years, and that's all we really used to prevent and revert grief. Any log could also have mods that tie in to it to undo any damage, effectively solving the grief problem.

I do want to reiterate my feelings that if Klei spends its resources on ways to police the community, that's less resources that it would have to use on making the game truly develop. For the most part, every suggestion made by everyone in this thread is something that we have the tools to create for ourselves. :-)

The administrative log is the only thing I need. As soon as a quick succession of "X structure is hammered by Y" or "X bush is burned by fire caused by Y", you ban Y and then rollback one or two days. And you don't even need to keep track of the Y, you can include a position to teleport to in order to check.

I'm in agreement with @Clwnbaby, the public online experience is definitely warding players away from DST. It's pushing away the veterans who absolutely love singleplayer along with the single newbies under the impression the game is about not starving together in collaboration. It is more like Don't Get Griefed more so than Don't Starve. It no longer captures the essence of what the single player game currently is since you have someone trying to breathe down your neck all the time. To an extent it is Klei's responsibility to develop a product that appeals to the wider audience. It's still in beta so I'm still optimistic in the direction Klei can go with it. The three core modes shouldn't have to depend on Mods written by a 3rd party.

@rezecib, mentioned the lobby already. I feel PvP/ Modded Mini-games should be its own thing separate to the collaborative survival aspect.

The following suggestions not including PvP enabled:

Permissions. If I placed it, no one should be able to open or hammer it while I'm currently on the server. But if I log off it's fair game.  Perhaps on the tab menu you could enable permissions to another player. That way there's some level of consent. As for walls there could even be similar mechanic to the game Rust where overtime structures decay, creating weak spots in walls. Permissions on walls would just end up being a grief tool to box people in rather than out.

Fix the ghost! (at the very least) I'm getting ghost harassed all the time. The dead players as a ghost should move as the speed of Abigail or better yet ghost you dig up from graves. Even with a Walking Cane I get ghost right on my tail trying to get me killed any way possible (aggro'ing bees, werepigs, snuffing camp fires). Perhaps an option for timer until you're indefinitely dead & temporarily booted. This would encourage making allies to revive you instead of enemies all the time.

The thing is, it's almost literally impossible to stop griefing happening. Seth said it on stream as well, they aren't gonna take griefing out of the game, they want to make griefing a bit harder to do.

There is always a way around anti-griefing mechanics. Make locked chests and I'm gonna show you the hammer. Make berry bushes, grass, and twigs not possible to burn with fire or icestaff, I'm gonna show you a fueled campfire. Make the fire not spreadable between those, and I'm gonna show you the shovel. Make a server rollback-able, and I'm gonna... wait what?

Griefing is not a problem for Klei.  There are many ways to play without encountering it (play just with friends).  For me, it is a challenge to play on a server with griefers and to try staying one step ahead of them.  In Survival or Endless once they've burned everything near the portal and if camps are difficult to find, they usually go away.

@buttonstack, I like your ghost timer idea :D

It adds enough pressure for your allies to revive you (if they want to). And if they don't want to return you to the land of the living, then maybe it's time to move on to the after life. Or maybe just remove the Haunt action after a set amount of time.

I honestly don't feel like junior forum members and people who only have one post and whose only experience with the game is Don't Starve Together have any real say in this.

I mean, of course you do. But I don't feel that way.

It's annoying to me that people are so desperate to make the game easier and easier for them to get by, and every possible suggestion for forward progress is now shot down instantaneously by "it could be abused on large servers!"

Well no **** it could be abused on large servers, anything could. This game started out as a single player experience and that's still really what it is. With just one more player, it's not altogether very different. And that's how I strongly feel Don't Starve Together is best played, with just a tiny handful of friends struggling to survive against the crushing odds in a world with ever-shrinking non-renewable resources.

The game needs to be pushed forward in a way that makes this experience more enjoyable, not neutered and watered down so people can join big cluster **** servers and chop down a few trees and build a science machine and say "I sure am proud of this little nook I've carved out of this server!"

It's just not in the spirit of the game. It's a survival game, not a ***** until you get what you want game.

Don't be an elitist snob, dude. I have 200-ish hours on Don't Starve and about 50-ish hours on DST. And really, posting a lot on a forum does not make you a "better" or more experienced player. It just means that you visit the forums. I only visit the forum to check update logs so that me and my buddies can see if there's some new content added for us to try out.

Also, you are really making a poor case for yourself by crying about watering down the game/making it easier. Hello? Nerfing Willow makes the game easier? Maybe the game and community has changed drastically since I last bothered looking, but I remember when Willow was the laughing stock of the DS community because of how noobish and easy she was. Now nerfing her is seen as making the game easier?

How much of your gameplay experience has hinged on infinite light and being able to burn everything from the first second of creating a world, exactly? 

Your other complaints have more to do with the design of the game itself: hence why Klei is working on adjusting it for multiplayer. Do you really think that the game is made "challenging" by making it slightly easier to burn things quicker?

Really, all that Willow's un-nerfed self adds to the game is a crutch if you're particularly bad at dealing with out of control fires, and an ease-of-access way to get charcoal without having to spend two seconds getting supplies to make a torch. Willow being un-nerfed for multiplayer just means that Willow users would be able to run around burning down people's bases. Where's the challenge in that, exactly? "Oh no, I need to do day one over again." All that does is encourage people to go back to single player or switch servers to find people who aren't as big of jerks.

Don't Starve's just not the sort of game to be running around with that attitude. Maybe save the snobbish elitism for a game like Dark Souls.

Seems to be a consensus about adjusting how ghosts work. From my experiences with Clwnbaby and others (when I'm not playing wilderness, which isn't often), griefer gets killed, griefer turns to ghost and immediately starts haunting the base, causing it to collapse. How do we stop that? What's the solution, since the onus is apparently on the player?

@Fyrjefe, Well, I think this is a case where the devs know what needs to be done, but have been putting it off to focus on porting existing DS content. Seth has said he intends to go through and retune all the ghost haunt effects-- currently there are negative haunt effects because they were originally made with a ghost having to haunt to stay alive in mind. Now that ghosts don't have to haunt to stay alive, there's no reason for haunting to have detrimental effects. So once that retuning occurs, ghosts should no longer be effective griefers.

@Fyrjefe, Well, I think this is a case where the devs know what needs to be done, but have been putting it off to focus on porting existing DS content. Seth has said he intends to go through and retune all the ghost haunt effects-- currently there are negative haunt effects because they were originally made with a ghost having to haunt to stay alive in mind. Now that ghosts don't have to haunt to stay alive, there's no reason for haunting to have detrimental effects. So once that retuning occurs, ghosts should no longer be effective griefers.

I do remember that from way back when. The ghost's ability to grief is clearly from vestigial mechanics..

@Fyrjefe, Bill Murray skin for Wilson and a vacuum for ghosts.

This. "Don't Starve Cross the Streams" for the win!

Archived