I don't like having a smallbird.

Tetris

I spent a few days hatching the thing, it finally hatches, I'm immediately attached. It's so cute. So I gather honey since I don't like having under 20 of it, and it tries to protect me. D: I freak out, not wanting my baby to die, and I have to kill two bees because he won't stop chasing them.

Then I gather up four pigs to attack some spider nests since I didn't think about queens spawning half an island away from my main camp (DO NOT WANT), and the little guy goes to attack with them. :l Dunno how he lived through that, it was a tier 3 and 2 nest, and even while I kite a group of jumpers so the pigs can kill them, my little bird just keeps pecking away at the nest like a trooper.

The thought of his death terrifies me.

And I just discovered he's a good bird killer. Birds just stand there while he attacks them. xD

You could always eat him. Then he will be with you forever, the stuff of his existence woven into your various organs until the day you too expire.

Never! When he dies, I will put his morsel in its own chest so I can forever remember. ;__________;

I wish you could put the smallbird in the birdcage, just to protect it. Of course it would be a sad smallbird then, but better sad than dead? I don't know, Don't Starve ethics are complicated.

There should be basic pet controls, like commanding it to Stay or Go To Camp or Don't Attack and stuff. :p I read on the Don't Starve wiki that they plan on doing more with the birds, like they have a script for them to grow up after 10 days, it's just not implemented. I'd love it if you could use a Tallbird as a mount.