How can I test Host and Client side of a mod by myself?

Working on adapting a pre-existing crock-pot/food mod of mine to work on DST.

Together Version here: ( mod http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/1068-waiter-101-together/ )

But I have trouble playtesting it since it seems to work for me fine by myself (as host).

Other players report that when they host a game with the mod, it crashes if a client player attempts to make a food item.

Is there a way to playtest a mod as both the host and a client?

@MidrealmDM, Two accounts and two computers is probably the easiest setup. Now that we have dedicated servers, though, you could probably set up a dedicated server for yourself to join while you work on the client-side stuff.

Someone before had a method where they'd launch one on another computer in offline mode, and make a LAN server. That way you can use one account, at least. I think that's how it worked...

@Weirdobob, c'mon man. That comes off as rude, and it's also not very applicable. Testing and writing mods is a lot of hard work, and your friend would probably get bored unless you're actually just writing the mod together. Even then it's hard, most mods are small projects and too many people on a small project gets everyone all messed up because you're changing each others' stuff.

Yes, you can sometimes get friends to test mods in progress with you, but it's wayy inferior to a setup where you can test it yourself, because you have to be constantly going "okay, I uploaded the new version, try that... what was the error message?", etc.

Edited by rezecib

@MidrealmDM, Two accounts and two computers is probably the easiest setup. Now that we have dedicated servers, though, you could probably set up a dedicated server for yourself to join while you work on the client-side stuff.

Someone before had a method where they'd launch one on another computer in offline mode, and make a LAN server. That way you can use one account, at least. I think that's how it worked...

Ok - got that worked out,

but now when I spwan in an item c_spawn("prefab",1)

I am unable to interact with it.

Edited by MidrealmDM

@MidrealmDM, if you spawned that item while being client, that's normal. Clients can't use server commands.

However, I heard that on dedicated servers, clients with sufficient admin powers can press left Ctrl while on the console to send remote commands to be executed by the server. A "Remote:" must appear near the console input.

@MidrealmDM, if you spawned that item while being client, that's normal. Clients can't use server commands.

However, I heard that on dedicated servers, clients with sufficient admin powers can press left Ctrl while on the console to send remote commands to be executed by the server. A "Remote:" must appear near the console input.

Ahh - thanks -

Yes I had given myself admin rights as a client, but I didn't realize I had to press Left-Ctrl

Testing is MUCH easier when you can spawn in items. ^_^

I took the lazy way on this personally, I have a secondary steam account that I have set to be shared via Steams wonderful Family Share feature that allows a particular computer that I have logged into previously to play games in my steam library. Me and another friend that I am working on a mod pack with have done this with eachothers accounts, ie my spare laptop is synched to his steam library, and visa-versa. This allows me to test things with 2 pcs rather than playing with the dedicated server.