Savanna - Why is it such a popular base site?

Savannahs are overrated. I love building my base in the swamp. Helps deter a lot of potential griefers, as they have to get through a bunch of stuff that want to kill them. And, as a bonus, it even comes with mosquitoes to make newbies avoid camping at base all day/night :D

Normally I set up base near a pig village(the opposite village of pig king's) because of easy access to swamp and walrus camps. Also, other resources not found in savannas are prevalent in the village. I have solved manure deficiency using pigs and koalefants. In dst, if you are able to pin down 1-3koalefants, manure should be abundant. Spider dens are also top priority for any silk,egg or meat farms, making the pig village a sustainable place to set up base.

Reasons why people opt to go for beefaloes instead of pig village:Wool and manure makes surviving winter much easier(winter hat and fuel). The easy access to grass and manure makes farming faster to kick online. Area is wide and open, so pasture clearing is out of the question. In the other hand pig village often has clumped up resources of grass, berries, and twigs, however, has spiders dens guarding them nearby. Another factor is that,new players dont know how to kite spiders and often draw too much aggro to the party. All these point to why less and less people use pig village, in multiplayer(only in multiplayer).

One thing to note, hiring pigs for chopping wood is highly efficient, thus people should do it often.

correction, if you are not webber, you should do it always , if there is a forst that need chopping then you better bring a logging crew , not just for the wood , but for the tree guards as well.

as for beefalo's perks .  manure isnt nearly as nessisary as people think.  if you are even half good at over picking berries  mushooms and other things like that , you will be swimming in rot . there fore the 9 - 15 bushes  /  9 - 15 grass in pig villages technically has more versatility than just the manure of beefalo.

the wool is nice for initial crafts and for stoking fire though if you dont have logs or  turf handy.

but i think the big issue with beefalo is how they are not as expendable . if you lose a herd  that herd will never come back . and deer clopses will kill the whole herd. you lose all your pigmen.. wait a few days   and all is well.

I've lived in the desert once. It wasn't as tactically suicidal as I was lead to believe. (Remember... deserts are usually at the far end of a land branch. Everything else would have been far away. In this particular world adjacent to the desert, there were spidery rocklands, then a large swamp.)

Buzzards actually provide decent amounts of food (as do the hound mounds, if you can clear most of them to manageable levels), but if your lucky enough to get some heavy frog rains recently, then your set on food... no matter where you are.

because making a telelocator is waht most people do right away on dst... i have people starving on day 3 saying they cant find food in the summer

Well who said I built it before winter? Of course the resources for it are kind of hard to come by but yeah... (DS veteran up in here!! Kinda... maximum bragging!!) XD

O___O

I only stated that because I wanted to point out that you don't have to settle in the savanna because that's the only place (by default) where beefalo herds are settled... that post of mine was just me saying that beefalo herds can be relocated so you don't have to settle in the savanna just for that...

:) huehuehuehue

Archived