Serious: Anti-Troll Mechanics.

Disclaimer: This is for those of us who choose to open our games to the public, but would like to not be trolled into the ground. Keep your "Play with friends lol n00b" comments to yourself.

This game needs anti-troll mechanics. 

Simply put, objects need an OWNER tag.  Objects in the world start with no owner tag. When an Object or structure is gathered or created, that player is set as the Owner.  If a non-owner player quits with the object in inventory, it drops(or drops at Portal?).  A non-Owner player cannot burn a structure they didn't build - Nor can any fire they set. A non-Owner can't Hammer a structure.  

Basically, if you didn't build it or make it, you can't walk off with it or destroy it.  

No, that won't solve every problem ever.  But it will help a lot with the problem of "******* Willow joins the game and burns the base to the ground in 2 minutes flat and there's nothing anyone can do about it."

I think it's a fine line between protecting things from a griefer and going overboard.

Will only the owner be able to use his tent or other items?  Don't forget to look at the opposite side of the coin...what if a griefer builds lots of lightning rods (or something easy to build) and puts them all over the base making it difficult to have anything else built.  Now because the griefer "owns" these rods, they can't be removed and now essentially destroyed that part of the base by prohibiting any future expansion there.

What about grass/twigs/berry bushes/flowers that get replanted? Would they have an owner?  One of the big things griefers seem to like to do is to burn those down since they aren't renewable and are an important resource.  But if only the owner can burn them down, what about natural causes? Can a lightning strike burn them down still? What if they are played too close to trees and the tree catches fire, would that cause them to burn?  If so, a griefer could plant an accorn and then burn that newly planted tree and the fire would spread and damage the replanted grass/twigs/bushes. If fires can still spread then wouldn't that negate idea that only the owner can damage something?

Are you saying every bit of item obtainable in game to have a Owner Tag once claimed/gathered/built by a player? I can see this as a way for griefers to own every other thing in the world if they enter almost as early as you in that server. Then you wouldn't know why you wouldn't be able to pick up certain things that they supposedly own. Or like what @DevilsSlide said, griefers can use that system to grief even further.

I do agree we need to reduce or have ways to combat these types of assults but, somewhere down the line I'm sure we'll have better tools against griefers. 

Aside from the common suggestion that you play with your friends to counter griefers, one of the tools already in place is the Roll Back System. It's currently located under Manage Server for a specific server you want to rollback when you click Host Server. And depending on how often you want to save snapshots of the server, you can choose how far back you want to roll back to. On default it's three(3) days apart. This saving snapshot mechanism will cause a bit of game lag while it happens depending on how beefy your PC is, but its worth it rather than having griefers ruin all your work.

Disclaimer: This is for those of us who choose to open our games to the public, but would like to not be trolled into the ground. Keep your "Play with friends lol n00b" comments to yourself.

This game needs anti-troll mechanics. 

Simply put, objects need an OWNER tag.  Objects in the world start with no owner tag. When an Object or structure is gathered or created, that player is set as the Owner.  If a non-owner player quits with the object in inventory, it drops(or drops at Portal?).  A non-Owner player cannot burn a structure they didn't build - Nor can any fire they set. A non-Owner can't Hammer a structure.  

Basically, if you didn't build it or make it, you can't walk off with it or destroy it.  

No, that won't solve every problem ever.  But it will help a lot with the problem of "******* Willow joins the game and burns the base to the ground in 2 minutes flat and there's nothing anyone can do about it."

Your missing the simple fact that a lot of DST players are new to Don't Starve altogether, I've seen some people who are like "yeah got to get used to game" or "yeah I'm new don't know what to do" a lot, and if they don't say that in chat they surely prove it while playing... kicking or banning people when they join (this thing called password.) wasting resources, burning stuff, and on a non-griefing note, just don't know how to play.

The only problem is since DST is open beta and they announced it and all this stuff we're getting a lot of newbie players to join.

I think the main problem with DST is just the noobs, adding these limits IMO would just limit the game, what if you need to burn a tree for charcoal that someone else happened to plant somewhere random? What if you wanted to keep the resources you harvested but most of them would just go back to the portal? i only think whatever you placed (structure or plant) would be owned by you, no one can use it without permission from the original builder, this would be good for teamwork so if someone is helping someone he/she doesn't have to be like "COME BACK AND USE THE CROCK POT."

Even then the main problem is just the amount of noobs that make the game unplayable.

I don't have have access to Don't Starve Together Early Access, so i don't know for sure if the Ban command works only for 1 game, but a Black List button along with the other options would help i guess, checking Black List then banning would result in that player being added to a list of players that will never be able to join any of your public games again (I guess something along the lines of black listing his Steam ID). He might screw up your game once but that will be the last time. I know it sounds excessive but some people are just assholes. I was really glad to see that you have an option to make a game non PVP (i've been watching streams on twitch.tv).

I don't have have access to Don't Starve Together Early Access, so i don't know for sure if the Ban command works only for 1 game, but a Black List button along with the other options would help i guess, checking Black List then banning would result in that player being added to a list of players that will never be able to join any of your public games again (I guess something along the lines of black listing his Steam ID). He might screw up your game once but that will be the last time. I know it sounds excessive but some people are just assholes. I was really glad to see that you have an option to make a game non PVP (i've been watching streams on twitch.tv).

The ban-list is server(Game) specific, so if you launch another game they can join.  It would be nice if we could differentiate between a Ban list and an account-wide Blacklist.  I'm generally not picky if my teammates are newbies, but sometimes I have to ban a person because they're ruining the fun with their incompetence. In that case I wouldn't mind them coming back when they've learned the basics.

Other times it's trolls trying to burn down the base that I'd rather never see again. For them I'd like an account-wide Blacklist.

@Delannion, , you can edit the ban file (called "blocklist") here: Document\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\save

Edit out all information except for the player's Steam ID (begins with 7656) or alternately, the Klei ID (begins with KU_). Doing so will ban those players from all your games, not just the specific world.

@Delannion, , you can edit the ban file (called "blocklist") here: Document\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\save

Edit out all information except for the player's Steam ID (begins with 7656) or alternately, the Klei ID (begins with KU_). Doing so will ban those players from all your games, not just the specific world.

Thanks!

Thanks!

You have the ability to add passwords to the server, kick or ban people at your leisure and even add a description to the server stating how you want to play and what the server's rules are. Changing anything in-game will not only destroy the sandbox of Don't Starve but it's also not going to prevent me from burning your stuff any more than a password will.

You have the ability to add passwords to the server, kick or ban people at your leisure and even add a description to the server stating how you want to play and what the server's rules are. Changing anything in-game will not only destroy the sandbox of Don't Starve but it's also not going to prevent me from burning your stuff any more than a password will.

I remember you joined one of my servers once and didn't burn everything because I'd set out a welcome package at the spawn and you happened to join in winter. :lemo:

I remember you joined one of my servers once and didn't burn everything because I'd set out a welcome package at the spawn and you happened to join in winter. :lemo:

Yup yup! That being said you should've expected me to burn everything down because it is always within's someone's power to do that, but you're a cool dude (dudette if you insist) so I felt I shouldn't.

The ban-list is server(Game) specific, so if you launch another game they can join.  It would be nice if we could differentiate between a Ban list and an account-wide Blacklist.  I'm generally not picky if my teammates are newbies, but sometimes I have to ban a person because they're ruining the fun with their incompetence. In that case I wouldn't mind them coming back when they've learned the basics.

Other times it's trolls trying to burn down the base that I'd rather never see again. For them I'd like an account-wide Blacklist.

I have to agree sometimes the amount of noobs is unbearable, it's like buy the actual game first then play DST. Sometimes it's just plain idiot griefers who join, unfortunately there's a lot of this because people take the chance to play any earl-beta access game they see, and I think the majority of DST players don't even know what regular Don't Starve is. There are few who know how to play luckily, but I'm tired of idiot base-burners, people who ban you right when you join their server, and just plain incompetence.

Back on-topic, account wide blacklist sounds good, the problem with me is I would never just ban someone from one of my servers... but at that the server-specific bans should be removed IMO.

• Developer

Delannion and Jman - it's actually not accurate that bans are specific to servers. If you ban a player, they're banned from any server you create (unless you remove them from that list in the admin/manage server screen). If you're finding that not to be true, please let us know!

I'm fairly disappointed that even pro DST players like Flare2V think that base-burning just must be done. Because I wasn't really playing much DST (yet a lot of DS with DLC) I have only met 2 griefers, both seemed to be pro and are possibly active on forums, yet they still burned my farms. Flare's logic is completly wrong. Just because I didn't left you some welcome package you would burn all I have created for months? Instead I should get an advice to do these packages and some other helpful tips.

When it goes to newbies and noobs... Well as long as there are still some resources I can handle on my own and possibly help them but they die way too often and by the same cause (clockwork bishop). I think these players just need some kind of tutorial. There are many guides on Steam but let's face it. Almost none of newbies is even aware of their existance or is too lazy to read them.

I would complain even more but because I'm tired and it's Christmass I'll pass. Merry Christmass everyone and sorry SethR for missing your latest livestream :'( I promise I'll watch it.

I'm fairly disappointed that even pro DST players like Flare2V think that base-burning just must be done. Because I wasn't really playing much DST (yet a lot of DS with DLC) I have only met 2 griefers, both seemed to be pro and are possibly active on forums, yet they still burned my farms. Flare's logic is completly wrong. Just because I didn't left you some welcome package you would burn all I have created for months? Instead I should get an advice to do these packages and some other helpful tips.

I can't speak for him, but I wouldn't draw the conclusion that Flare burns bases because he doesn't get free items. I think he just does because he wants to, though I'd hope he doesn't in non-PvP without some motivation.

For PvP though, I believe anything goes - so long as you are able to survive. I can burn down 90% of the world and survive indefinitely. I don't play that way, but I understand that any tactic is legitimate as long as a player follows that rule. The people who just want to cause misery with complete disregard for their own character is griefing. 

When it goes to newbies and noobs... Well as long as there are still some resources I can handle on my own and possibly help them but they die way too often and by the same cause (clockwork bishop). I think these players just need some kind of tutorial. There are many guides on Steam but let's face it. Almost none of newbies is even aware of their existance or is too lazy to read them.

I would complain even more but because I'm tired and it's Christmass I'll pass. Merry Christmass everyone and sorry SethR for missing your latest livestream :'( I promise I'll watch it.

I can't speak for him, but I wouldn't draw the conclusion that Flare burns bases because he doesn't get free items. I think he just does because he wants to, though I'd hope he doesn't in non-PvP without some motivation.

For PvP though, I believe anything goes - so long as you are able to survive. I can burn down 90% of the world and survive indefinitely. I don't play that way, but I understand that any tactic is legitimate as long as a player follows that rule. The people who just want to cause misery with complete disregard for their own character is griefing. 

Woah, allow me to speak for myself. I don't intend to burn and destroy everything everybody owns, I'm just saying that you should always expect and prepare for the worst because there are people out there who will be willing to bring it to you. While it would be wonderful if every single person who has Don't Starve Together access wished only the best upon every other player, the sad truth is that is not the case.

Woah, allow me to speak for myself. I don't intend to burn and destroy everything everybody owns, I'm just saying that you should always expect and prepare for the worst because there are people out there who will be willing to bring it to you. While it would be wonderful if every single person who has Don't Starve Together access wished only the best upon every other player, the sad truth is that is not the case.

See? Not all horrible people here. And agreed.

Can you answer me one question. What the point in making the game opened if you don't attempt to... don't starve together? You sit with your base one one side of the map claiming all items around as your property, the other player that you don't know sits on the other side on map minding its own business... what the point in such coop? Just 2 players play single player game on one server? I guess COOP games are made not for random people playing together, but for people who can talk to each other, people who you can trust. I dont see the point in making "open" games in coop at all, and 80% games now are protected with password. Tried to connect some random servers, OMG what happens there, everybody just run around do random sh*t, yell at each other and DIE DIE DIE... useless...

Can you answer me one question. What the point in making the game opened if you don't attempt to... don't starve together? You sit with your base one one side of the map claiming all items around as your property, the other player that you don't know sits on the other side on map minding its own business... what the point in such coop? Just 2 players play single player game on one server? I guess COOP games are made not for random people playing together, but for people who can talk to each other, people who you can trust. I dont see the point in making "open" games in coop at all, and 80% games now are protected with password. Tried to connect some random servers, OMG what happens there, everybody just run around do random sh*t, yell at each other and DIE DIE DIE... useless...

PvP.

I think the ability to turn off new players ablility to start fires and use hammers untill you trust them would be very usefull for this

Then what is the point of playing with randoms in the first place?

Take away their ability to use tools and you kill them, pretty much it.

No fire? No Charcoal until you want them to have charcoal.

No hammers, cant move their junk until you want to...

Its unfair to the randoms that actually join a server to...play the game.

Also, you use way too many L's...

It definitely wouldn't work for every type of play, but if you are planning on cooperating with people, once you have a crockpot at base, not much more immediate need for more charcoal, and I rarely use a hammer except maybe for pig heads and skeletons.  Fire and hammers are definitly not integral to playing the game. 

For the few times the hammer or fire would be needed, can easily ask the host to do it, or the host might be able to trust you if you have been around long enough to need to do those jobs. 

Archived