Look How Far We've Come

Sometimes I miss the days of old when I could exploit the game and live forever.

Back in the days when gravedigger items meant you could make an alchemy engine.

Back then when you started with a backpack and could kill all the rabbits by running at them from the hole.

Back when there was no adventure mode, no winter, koalefants, spider queens, giants never existed

Flowers were finite and impossible to grow

Fire was a death sentence to your world

And the days when you could play Wolfgang for a week without feeding him...

Ahhhh...just look how far it has come since then. :)

Fire still can be a death sentence to your world...

Not like it used to be at least!

The reach it had before was insane!

Not to mention things like the treeguard had issues with burning you even though the fire animation stopped on them. XD

I honestly had no idea the game would turn out to be this rich or tasty when I picked it up on early access on Steam. I mostly wanted a Burton-esque survival game to pass some time that'd let me express myself somewhat and I got what I paid for and then some (this is an understatement). I had no idea at the time that Klei was this disciplined, this classy and just this damn good at what they do. If only most indie devs had even half their skill and integrity, if only.

It's memorable for me because I don't think I've been so rewarded by a pure blind impulse buy since some of the classic games I got to play in the 80's and 90's before even magazines were common enough to inform me about what was good or not (let alone the internet). I bought it because it looked interesting, sight unseen, something I never do anymore.

And now with the upcoming DST, I can share that experience with friends and teach them how to play in the most fun way possible -- by being there with them.

jbeetle I can respect what you say and can respect your opinion but using the word "sucked" for the skeleton of a game you look at now is a bit, counterintuitive to it's progress.

If you were there and playing it and just went, this sucks, then there's a high chance you wouldn't be here to this day.

Nostalgia doesn't warp perception, it's simply memories to a time of old. Times when things were different to what they are now.

The game was great then and it's great now, for a simple reason.

It exists.

It was a turn around for a game in the survival genre, unique in it's own style and gameplay and ideas. There's no zombies or anything like that, you die by the mistakes you make and that's really it.(luck plays small parts in survival but it's minimal) It's style is completely different from anything we've seen for a long time and it's captured a lot of attention. The humor and everything around the game reminds me of the old TF2 and Valve humor in a way, only slightly darker.

But opinions are opinions, I just don't like hearing the word of it sucking since it was still in it's pre-alpha stages and was being built up from nothing. If that was a finished game, then sure, go for it. But it was still in progress and actually made it out of the early access cycle unlike so many other games today.

It was a good game for it's stage and time, it's only progressed into a better one.

jbeetle I can respect what you say and can respect your opinion but using the word "sucked" for the skeleton of a game you look at now is a bit, counterintuitive to it's progress.

If you were there and playing it and just went, this sucks, then there's a high chance you wouldn't be here to this day.

Nostalgia doesn't warp perception, it's simply memories to a time of old. Times when things were different to what they are now.

The game was great then and it's great now, for a simple reason.

It exists.

Perhaps it's not the case with you specifically, but too many times I've seen nostalgia used as a reason for someone saying something was better in the past than it is today, and they don't even realize that's the only reason.

For the record, it didn't suck back then - It sucked compared to its current state. Also, I wasn't talking about pre-alpha because I didn't have it then. I'm referring to the time where it just hit Early Access/Steam Beta.

This is oldest picture I have. Started playing right after spider queen became a thing. 

attachicon.gifOld.png

Gosh yes!

When Wolfgang was an OP piece of crud and Sanity didn't exist yet hahahaha

Wolfgang and Willow were so over powered back then it was sad but hilarious and just funny doing things.

Sadly I lost all screenshots I had which was before butterflies were flowers and spider queens and all lived.

Anyone else remember when Rabbit AI was so basic you could just run from the hole in an attack and instantly them?

Perhaps it's not the case with you specifically, but too many times I've seen nostalgia used as a reason for someone saying something was better in the past than it is today, and they don't even realize that's the only reason.

For the record, it didn't suck back then - It sucked compared to its current state. Also, I wasn't talking about pre-alpha because I didn't have it then. I'm referring to the time where it just hit Early Access/Steam Beta.

I have no reason to say the game was better than than it is now. This whole thread was made to show just how far we've come. From all of the bare bones code and exploits to the Multiplayer we were told we'd never have. I just don't like hearing the word "sucks" on something I see as still a great game with even more potential every day.

Change happens and as much as I miss the old glitch ridden, explot filled days or laughter, those are gone and I can live with what's given to me now.

Compared to the current state I still wouldn't say suck, it was just needing so much more imporovement. Even on release it had so much missing. Things will always be too easy for some people and for others it's too hard. I read a thread where they've mentioned hardcore and softcore modes for different people of different tastes.

One day maybe something like that can actually exist and for all of the people who still find hardcore easy can have a nightmare mode where things are difficult from the get go and building up large bases only calls for extra danger.

I'm always happy to see what else can come out from the team and that's why I'm even more ecstatic when I've made this thread. You were around for a while, you can understand(I hope) the excitement looking back and just looking forward again at how much this small team has done and is still doing. It's amazing.

Like right now, there's only maybe 13 people on DST, and look how much work is being output from that small team. It's amazing to me because to put the cherry on top, they're keeping up with the people in the forums like they used to, to the best of their ability. It just brings a smile to my face.

I remember those days to back before willow players could accidently burn down there base, back when insanity was first implemented, back when a bug caused me to have infinite meat and waaaaaaaaay back when you needed science points to craft stuff

the game is much better now.

Back then we hit the content roof around day 40 or 50. Everyting built, everything explored, everything killed. With the experience people have today. Playing the early game would cap at around day ten I would guess :)

But. We kept playing, the game was just to good to not play :p

Gosh yes!

When Wolfgang was an OP piece of crud and Sanity didn't exist yet hahahaha

Wolfgang and Willow were so over powered back then it was sad but hilarious and just funny doing things.

Sadly I lost all screenshots I had which was before butterflies were flowers and spider queens and all lived.

Anyone else remember when Rabbit AI was so basic you could just run from the hole in an attack and instantly them?

When winter wasn't even a thought, and building things required the player to toss junk into the science machine. Speaking of basic AI, can anyone remember why those feathers are in a group on the ground?

Archived