Charlie's fate - A more "positive" outlook, perhaps?

I just immersed myself in this incredible game and have been reading though the lore. It's a brilliant story world but seems too dark and depressing (though I'm sure this is the point). However, I think there needs to be a beacon of good and light (Ha!). You can't have darkness without some light, even as faint as it is. So here is what I would like to think is true:

Charlie is trying to save you (the player) by killing you!      

My reasoning:

That hypothesis, I think, fits in with the world story and tone of the game. Since she seems to have been pulled in by accident and couldn't be put in "the chair" since that is Maxwell's seat. The shadows didn't have a place for her as she was not one of the "chosen" (obviously too sane); so, she was absorbed or integrated into the shadow people and became one with them or like them.  

Since you can see the other shadow people really close to you but not attacking when you begin to go mad, then you might assume they are just observing you as they do really want you to "succeed" so they can have a new host. Charlie, however, knows the truth.

Charlie knows that your fate is not a good one. She may also know that death might not be the same here as it is in the "real" world. Since you can be resurrected in this world then death might actually be your escape back to reality! Since she is now one with the shadows she cannot be perceived by the player, while sane or lighted. As she is not also pure shadow she cannot appear and warn you when you are mad, not that you would trust her as you are quite mad at the time. That means she might be locked into some type of in between state of physical and shadow. Therefore, her only recourse is to try and "save" you in darkness where you cannot even perceive her but she can still interact with you.

I think this twisted bit of optimism is a perfect match for this game. Death is your actual salvation and the only one that is trying their hardest to save you is Charlie, the only real innocent in all of this. This seems to fit with her back story. She was brought in to this world and knows what the shadow realm is doing to Maxwell. She knows that if she can stop you from succeeding that you might be saved and then, perhaps, Maxwell and her will be freed from their torment as the world dissolves.

Of course, that later point, might be her ultimate goal. Kill you and then the shadow realm dissolves when Maxwell dies and they can't find a replacement in time. Not as optimistic as the other but it still fits. I, however, choose the former as it makes me feel better.  :listening_headphone

Contradicting or corroborating evidence?  Let me know, please!   I couldn't find any others that might have suggested this, but then, it's a big scary Internet.  :eek2:

Interesting theory. However, it just doesn't feel right.

We know that Charlie is the Night Monster from Maxwell's exclamation in the dark. It seems that Charlie cannot possibly possess a fully corporeal form, as the moment morning dawns, she fades away. However, I find it unlikely that she is an in-between creature or a shadow creature because of the observed limits to the powers of Them. Every time a character is pulled into a new world, as when activating the Wooden Thing, they reemerge in an identical physical state. This is similar to the scene where Maxwell and Charlie are pulled into the Codex Umbra. Their physical existence in the new world is shown by the physical presence of the Codex Umbra and Charlie's flower. In other words, Them (They?) are unable to alter the physical attributes of creatures in the Don't Starve universe, only able to affect their minds instead (according to Maxwell, anyway).

I submit that Charlie is indeed still in fully corporeal form, but through some influence (possibly Nightmare Fuel, as it has been shown to cause changes in some creatures such as the Ancient Guardian), she has gained the ability to either teleport or become invisible. This provides an explanation as to why she disappears the moment the new day begins while still proving she has a corporeal form. As to her motive for hunting the protagonists, I think she has been reduced to a mere beast by the Nightmare Fuel. The reason behind this is the fact that she exerts a massive sanity drain on the protagonists. Both physical and shadow creatures exert an insanity aura, so this does not disqualify her from being a physical being. However, apart from use of the One-Man Band, all benevolent creatures increase the character's sanity. Therefore, Charlie must be a negative force, actively trying to kill the characters in the night.

Nonetheless, this is an interesting (and much brighter) theory you have come up with. Nice job.

Fascinating theory! I'm not sure what to think. Which is more heart-wrenching? An innocent woman was turned into a horrendous monster with no shred of humanity left . . .

. . . or said woman was turned into said horrendous monster with all her humanity intact and knowledge of what's really going on?

Theorizing is why I love this game.

In addition, I'm wondering what Klei is going to do about the backstory continuing from the Resumptus. There have to be some further events that happen to Maxwell and Charlie before he ascends the Nightmare Throne. Another interesting point is that Maxwell, as far as we have seen, is unable to alter Charlie back to her former state. Is it because he can't, or because, for some reason, he doesn't want to? There has to be some reason behind this vacuity of action.

I'm assuming that that Maxwell is ultimately acting as something of a host for the "Shadow Realm" but we are not sure how much control he actually has. Did he intentionally pull in the player to replace him or just to "play" as he states. He is quite mad; so, it's hard to tell. They seem to pull in people who are obsessed in some manner and driven; however, if they are too susceptible to madness, then they don't want them. That is why they tend to attack when you go completely mad, although that is still quite a bit of conjecture and assumption. Then why keep Charlie? Why not just "kill" her and be done with it. Is it to keep Maxwell in check? Perhaps he is stronger (or weaker) than they planned and need some other manner to keep him from either going completely insane or to keep him from taking over.

In any case, I feel it is keeping with the tone and theme of the game and story. This fits better as it is actually more tragic and twisted in my opinion. I would love the event that if you actually do die (and run out of "traps" that are the touchstones) you just go back to your life and keep going. Then it would be icing on the cake that the "evil" shadow people would essentially be defeated by the player losing.

What a Twist!

image.png?w=480&c=1

They seem to pull in people who are obsessed in some manner and driven; however, if they are too susceptible to madness, then they don't want them.

Wilson thirsts for knowledge, so Maxwell offers Wilson a world of knowledge never seen before.

Willow is obsessed over fire, so Maxwell tempts her with a whole world to burn.

Wolfgang focuses his entire life on his muscles, so Maxwell gives him a world where he can hone his muscles unendingly.

Wendy is obsessed with her sister's death, so Maxwell offers her a world where she can meet her sister again (by killing her).

WX-78's primary function is to exterminate organic life, so Maxwell gives it an entire world to decimate.

Wickerbottom wants a quiet place to read and write, so Maxwell offers her a world cut off from the prying nuisances of civilization. (Twilight Zone episode "All the Time in the World," anyone?)

Woodie loves the outdoors, so Maxwell tempts him with his own personal piece of land, filled with plentiful trees to cut down.

Wes is the anomaly. According to Maxwell, Wes did something to displease him. He's just unlucky enough to have annoyed Maxwell in the past, so being brought into this world is his punishment.

Maxwell wanted fame and fortune and everything that goes with it (I thank you all, but it's been no bed of roses, no pleasure cruise, I consider it a challenge before the whole human race...okay, you get the reference). He dabbles in the occult, and They bring him into Their world.

Wigfrid is an actress so obsessed with being in character that Maxwell offers her a land where she can gain some firsthand experience in her rugged role.

Webber seems to love cooperation and making friends above all else, yet doesn't fit in because of his hideous appearance. Maxwell tempts Webber with a land full of creatures that look like him so he can make friends. Although I must add, if Webber was eaten by a Spider before he came to the Don't Starve world, that means the same species of spider can be found in the natural world (in the Don't Starve universe, anyway). Otherwise, Webber was captured for some unknown reason by Maxwell as just a child.

In conclusion, it is the strength of these desires that attracts Maxwell's (and Their) attention and allows Maxwell to bring the poor seekers into his world. That said, while They apparently need a host or proxy of some sort, Maxwell's reason for torturing his prisoners is unknown.

you are right iggyboo because charlie don't attacks things that are already in this world like beefalo's and when you are asleep charlie also don't attack you because she thinks you are dead. genious  :wilson_goodjob:

That doesn't prove or even imply anything. Charlie has been in the world since the beginning. She knows everything about the weak animals of the world. However, you are completely out of place in the usual world of docile pigs and beefalo. This interests her. Given that Charlie actively stalks you wherever there is darkness, she implies she seems to prefer hunting creatures that possess sentience. Perhaps she is aware of the sanity drain she causes, and maybe she somehow derives nourishment from it.

Hello. This a very reasonable theory, I love it! Would you mind if I mention it in a video I'm going to be making? I'll make sure to mention you. If you'd prefer to remain anonymous, that too is possible.

May want to shoot the author a PM instead of reviving a really old thread.

Hello. This a very reasonable theory, I love it! Would you mind if I mention it in a video I'm going to be making? I'll make sure to mention you. If you'd prefer to remain anonymous, that too is possible.

Archived