Steam sale complaint

So my boyfriend bought me and him the 2-pack of Don't Starve in steam, thinking it was a nice deal for two people to play together. But what do we find out? That you need a beta key to even play together. Not sure if it is steam or the creators of this game I should complain to, but why would there even be a 2-pack when you aren't able to play together?

So neither of us are really impressed at this at the moment, and why would you even need a locked beta for a multiplayer mod? A really really dumb idea.

To gift to a friend and get a deal as well? I'm sure there are other single-player games with 2-pack deals on Steam.

The game was single-player long before the multiplayer expansion was announced. The expansion is not ready to be released openly, hence why it's in beta and you need a key to play. Steam doesn't advertise Don't Starve Together because it hasn't been released yet. Hell my DST screenshots don't even show up on my activity feed, probably because steam doesn't completely recognize it as a game yet.

Okay, wait up! 

When DST "Don't Starve Together" is released it will be free to all owners of Don't Starve, (so now you). -

A lot of games on steam are bundled, I noticed.

Anyway.

It is still in beta, and is not released yet. There are still bugs to work out. But here is the information, where upon being released you both will have it for free.
http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/articles/1543441-dont-starve-together---multiplayer-officially-coming-summer-2014

Right now they are giving away keys to all those who signed up for the BETA version. After that they are working on making it available to those that didn't sign up and would like a key. (I have more information in my signature link, regarding this).

Hope that helped clear a few things up.

Edit: Also, I just want to point out that on steam, "Don't Starve" game is actually listed as Single-player only., right now (looking at the store page). So, I don't see any wrong advertising (I only see mention of multi-player in the recommendations). - However, that will change I'm sure for when they are ready for the multi-player version to be released. Which there is no official date yet. There are several bugs and they are working hard on the game for bugs/content and also, making it ready for open beta/release.

:-)

1.) You can gift your friend one DS Copy and then when DST is out, it'll install in his' Steam Library.

2.) DST is standalone, no confirmed release date is out with it either.

The beta is locked to reveal the more severe bugs and exploits. There's a bit of new stuff that still needs reworking along with it.  For example, Metteor Showers now exist along with moon rocks to make moon rock walls. The icons for those don't show up at the molment, it's not severe but it's there. Along with Caves. They're not in because it can crash due to it registering multiple worlds, which can lag the entire game. Klei has found a reroute but you can't go into caves.

Thanks for quick answers! And yes, I do understand why someone would give out their game as closed beta, but just a multiplayer mod for two or four people seems kinda senseless to me. Though I guess we can't do much other than wait for the release....

@Mjau, I think you misunderstood. Don't Starve has been released for quite a while now. The 2-pack existed way back when multiplayer wasn't even supposed to be a thing for the game. There are plenty of games and reasons why you'd want to have a multi-copy pack available for a game even if it doesn't have multiplayer.

The multiplayer version of it, however, is in closed beta. The mod is something that's older and much clunkier, the current beta is something different that works for more people, over a network, with multiplayer-specific features, etc.

I'm looking at the store page for Don't Starve and I don't see any mention of it there (other than the "sneak preview" of Together on the developer stream), so I don't think the situation is currently very misleading...

Not sure if it is steam or the creators of this game I should complain to, but why would there even be a 2-pack when you aren't able to play together?

yes, buy a game without doing proper research and then complain when what you thought was in the game isn't. that's how you do it...

(P.S. I'm quite Super Hexagon doesn't have a 4-player multiplayer, but it sells 4-packs.)

So neither of us are really impressed at this at the moment, and why would you even need a locked beta for a multiplayer mod? A really really dumb idea.

It's actually a update-like expansion to the game, not a mod. It's way bigger than any other update it has ever had, which by extension means that it needs a lot of time and work to develop, while also needing a Beta. Don't call things "dumb" before doing proper research.

If this weren't the Klei forums I would have quite the verbal assault for you for insulting Klei like this.

Anyways. Don't Starve Together is in a beta state, put simply, the game is not finished, and still has lots of bugs. I would know, considering I have a key myself. It is also missing many key features of the original game. It does not support RoG, it does not have Caves implemented yet (Last I checked, anyways) Heck, there are barely even any ways to get gears without the Caves and Things implemented.

If DST were released to everyone right off the bat, it'd do a fair lot of bad, including, but not limited to. A) When the game first "launched" it was so buggy that the small number of people allowed in couldn't play for the first few days. B) It would foster a lot of needless complaining (Like this post...) about the game not working correctly and half the features being unbalanced and/or unimplemented. Furthermore, as has been mentioned several times, many single-player games have bundles, and Don't Starve has been Single-Player for much, much longer than Multi player has even been a thing. In fact, there used to be an emote,

:nomulti: 

because Multi Player was something that had been asked about, and denied several times (Even to the point where Klei had to make a sticky in the suggestions sub-forum about Multi Player) Because of the large amount of difficulty involved in making this game Multi Player, and they're even giving it to players who already have the game for free!

@Mjau 

Go to the links below for information on Don't Starve Together

\/\/\/

That doesn't provide as much information as you think, Munix.

The person who asked this bought the 2 game bundle. This is a thing that comes in many games, Terraria, Payday 2, BattleBlock Theater. But those are examples. This is a concern about DST but it was also a complaint. The error we were flawing over was when she (or he) said " Multiplayer Mod". Those links aren't needed.

That doesn't provide as much information as you think, Munix.

The person who asked this bought the 2 game bundle. This is a thing that comes in many games, Terraria, Payday 2, BattleBlock Theater. But those are examples. This is a concern about DST but it was also a complaint. The error we were flawing over was when she (or he) said " Multiplayer Mod". Those links aren't needed.

I stand by my policy of giving the links to anyone with a low post count. 

Archived