(WIP) Human Charlie Mod

Nova Arson

It's... sort of a pun.

Oh wow this became very long, sorry.

I like the idea, and it would make sense.

As for the headcannon, I like it. I could have it when she goes into Adventure Mode, she could be rather confused for why she sees him. I don't plan to have him show in sandbox mode, so she wouldn't know he's on the throne until she arrives at the final part of Adventure mode. It'd make for a pretty sad ending.

They don't wake up until after he's done talking, right? There's no real need to remove him, and in fact you might get a better gut punch to the player by just changing his lines to some kind of struggling apology. Some sort of, "This was never supposed to happen," or a "Save yourself, find the-" something that implies he isn't in control.

As for friendly hallucinations, what exactly does that mean? They already don't touch you until you're pretty crazy, does this mean they always ignore you? Or can you actually make the shadows attack for you? If that's the case, do they make you crazy? That would be a neat balancing act, trying to stay insane enough to use the shadows but not so insane they attack you.

If you don't mind suggestions from someone who has no idea how mods work, I've got quite a few. I read through the whole thread and the idea seems really cool to me, gave me a bunch of thoughts to add:

First off, I like the idea of shadow creatures being helpful to her but her being terrified of their help. I'd say that after a certain sanity point she should be able to hire them somehow. Perhaps using nightmare fuel and evil flowers, but those are a bit rare so you may want to expand that to monster food as well. That makes them pretty easy to hire on, which shouldn't be a problem as having all those shadows around will start to drop sanity quickly, meaning it's your sanity more than your items paying for your help. But when sanity hits 0, they all turn on her. If possible, there should be some kind of warning.

If you want to make it REALLY creepy, have the shadows say things. Speech could serve as a warning that Charlie is approaching dangerous sanity levels. And imagine how disturbing it would be when they turned against her, quietly murmuring, "It's too bright out, Charlie," "Why did you bring us here," "Come back to the dark, Charlie," "We have a present for you..."

IF you want to include an item with her, it should probably be connected to her abilities and purpose. (from both a mechanical perspective and, if possible, narratively as well.) Also it's nice to have it in the character portrait. I recommend she gets her own book, one that has some kind of control of the shadows. The absolute best thing would be for it to have some kind of sanity restoring effect, or something to dismiss shadow hallucinations. Here are some thoughts: You can capture one shadow in the book, after which you can summon it to serve you (for a limited time) even if you have high sanity (would need a cooldown to prevent abuse). Using the book from your inventory will dismiss all shadow creatures you have hired, causing them to vanish (no effect on 'neutral' shadows). The book should have its own name, something decidedly not ominous like "Maxy's Weird Book." (Inspect: "They... they say they can help me.")

Oh, and she'll need a way of restoring sanity quickly with such a sanity draining special ability. But Maxwell's passive super-sanity won't work, because then it's hard to use her power. How about a perk that gives a boost to the sanity increase she gets from dapper clothes? Or she gains sanity in daylight? Maybe using the book on her while there is a shadow inside can have a potent sanity restoring effect. 

An idea for a drawback: When you are at a very low point of sanity, many creatures become scared of you. This means that bunnymen and pigmen attack you on sight, and peaceful creatures run away from you at double the normal range. The implication being that Charlie's gruesomeness is showing, but she is not aware of it.

Finally, it would be neat if this added more shadow creatures to play around with. Shadow men based off the merm model, shadow tentacles that slide around... don't gotta explain the physics, they're hallucinations.

Okay, if you couldn't tell by the small essay I've written for it, I really like the idea of this mod. It's really neat, expands on the cool ideas behind the scenes of Don't Starve in a teasing, ambiguous way and is just generally more of the things I already love about the game. Good luck on getting this finished, I'm looking forward to it.

If she has a book like that call it  "Book of Dreams".  Reasoning:  a  'book of shadows' is a name for a dream diary.  So i think book of dreams is a good pun for a book for shadow capturing.

I'm all for a good pun, but I think which one to go with depends on how Charlie is going to be presented. She's the assistant, after all, and we don't know how much she actually knows about these things. If it was all a magic act to her, and Maxwell handled the dark magic junk, she shouldn't have a proper name for the book (hence "Maxy's Scary Book," because that's all it is to her). If she's in on everything, then it should have its own suitably pseudoscholarly name (such as "Book of Dreams"). Oh! When it has a shadow in it, the item's name changes to Book of Nightmares.

Personally, I'm in favor of doesn't-know-what's-going-on Charlie, myself.

Update: The Big Portrait is done for the Charlie Mod! Thank you theletterwsartflap for doing this! The picture looks amazing. 

As for what I need to do, I’m still only working on the dialog until after the new year, but once that comes around I’ll be working on the other stuff for the mod, that includes the select slot that’s just a black box atm. Updates will resume once again in 2015. I'll still be here to answer questions, as well as on my Charlie Blog. Link to said blog is in my signature

tumblr_nfuj6fOais1u4qv44o1_1280.jpg

Not sure if it is spelled this way for story reasons, but I wanted to point out that 'Marvellous' should be 'Marvelous.' And that there should be an ' after Maxwell. Of course this is probably just a WIP pic and I'm probably missing the story significance of the spelling. 

On another note, I'd love to help out with any dialogue if you still need assistance with that. I'm a writer in need of a new project. I'm not sure how formatting would work for that though. Thanks!

Not sure if it is spelled this way for story reasons, but I wanted to point out that 'Marvellous' should be 'Marvelous.' And that there should be an ' after Maxwell. Of course this is probably just a WIP pic and I'm probably missing the story significance of the spelling.

No... just no...

Take a nap. You need it. And if that doesn't help, take an english class.

She said: "Now introducing Maxwell the marvellous Magician!" (Maxwell is not her)

EDIT:Duh, nevermind. I'm gonna take a nap myself.

No... just no...

Take a nap. You need it. And if that doesn't help, take an english class.

She said: "Now introducing Maxwell the marvellous Magician!" (Maxwell is not her)

Uh, I was referring to Maxwell needing an 's in 'Maxwells Assistant', when it should be 'Maxwell's Assistant.' Unless the apostrophe can't be there for story reasons or formatting. I should have been more clear about which Maxwell i was referring to though.

Edit* Just found out that marvellous can sometimes be an alternate spelling I guess? Sorry about that. I learned something though, so that's pretty cool! I'm still pretty sure this is a WIP mock-up anyway though, so all of my comments are probably moot.

Actually, on the topic of that quote, it really doesn't have anything to do with Charlie. I mean, it could have to do with some kind of idol worship or obsession over Maxwell, but if that's the case it should be a bit more clear about how it relates to her personality.

Even then, the other characters have quotes that tie in directly to the character's archetype or their special power. Heck, you could get both if you included Maxwell's name and a mention of the shadows. "Maxy controlled them. Maybe I can, too?" or "What would Maxy do?"

Or, if you want to make her sound badass, "The Lovely Assistant has a few tricks up her own sleeves, too..."

The Mod has returned!

Hey everyone, I’ve finally returned from visiting family. Well, I returned a few days ago, but had a few things to do. Now that the New Year is here and the holidays are over I’ll be returning to working on the charlie mod very soon. I need to remember where I was/what I needed to fix up and so on. As for any questions people had while I was gone I’ll answer them soon!

Happy New Year, enjoy your 2015!

To recap what's happening in this mod: 

There'll be three main things in this mod: A custom item, custom meter, and a custom ending.

The item will be a red rain coat, the meter will be something called a "Grue Meter" and the custom ending will be revealed at a later date.

Maxwell will still appear in game, but with different speech.

Something I want to point out: Charlie is simply a human. She has no special powers. The events that take place with Charlie in this mod are before she becomes the Grue. 

What I'll be working on: Only the art. Once all the bugs are fixed with the art I'll move onto her item, the grue meter, then then the dialogue and custom ending. Since I'll begin school soon the process will be slow.

What's the plan for the grue meter?

The Grue Meter will be something in the corner of the screen. If you're left in darkness too long then you'll turn into the Grue, resulting in a game over. More or less a way of telling how long you have until you die/change.

Does this mean Charlie will actually be able to stay in darkness more than other characters? If the meter takes longer to fill for Charlie then it takes for other characters to get attacked in darkness, anyways. Also, does the meter only fill when you're in complete darkness? What I mean to say, it doesn't fill slowly when you are next to a light source like some reverse sanity meter?

I assume daylight causes it to go down?

Because of personal reasons I will not be updating here/anywhere for the time being. I simply have lost my motivation to work on the mod. I'll be saving the files and if I happen to get my motivation back then I'll continue working on it once more.

Archived