Meteor suggestion.

So I was playing the game and realized: There is a limited number of rocks to mine.

My suggestion is that every couple days (maybe 20) there is a meteor shower, it causes the ground to shake when it hits earth and drops 7-10 rocks from it. It also scorches the ground and leaves hostile aliens in the area.

Just something I thought about. :p

Guest Dandytard

To be frank I can't imagine INTELLIGENT life on a meteor. One does not simply 'RIDE' a meteor. Although I do believe some black-goe like creture could appear, If that counts as alien.

*Cough* Terraria *Cough*

But seriously... A creature along the lines of a rock golem would make more sense, I mean there are tree creature things after all. Maybe a molten meteor rock golem creature from space would work. Or something.

I like that alot more than my Alien idea. It makes sense :D

Not sure about there being a mob associated with it, but I do like the idea of having rocks added to the game over time. While it has not even begun to happen to me yet, and I am on day 115, I can't help but wonder. What happens when my world runs out of rocks? Sure I can get gold from the Pig King, but what about flint? What about stone? I've pretty much already built everything that requires stone that I want to build, but if I run out of flint it's game over. Introducing new rocks to the world occasionally seems like a splendid idea. The meteor method does leave some room for concern though. What if a meteor hits your base camp and obliterates it? There are also all kinds of other inconvenient places it could land. As an example, my current world only has one tallbird. If a meteor were to take it or its nest out, what then? In the real world, the earth is constantly changing. New rocks come to the surface and old ones are swallowed by the landscape through plate tectonics. An idea that just occurred to me while writing this post is that they could implement periodic earthquakes. The screen would shake for a bit, accompanied by a rumbling sound, and new rocks would spawn in places that are not already occupied by an item or structure as a result. Seems like something a little better than a meteor strike to me.

What happens when my world runs out of rocks? Sure I can get gold from the Pig King, but what about flint? What about stone?

That "rocks" I assume you are referring to boulders? Yes, boulders are finite, and therefore so are stones and flint. Gold ore is infinite, as you pointed out.

I've pretty much already built everything that requires stone that I want to build, but if I run out of flint it's game over.

Hmmm? In what way? Sure certain inventions would be impossible to craft, like bee mines, but you can still craft tools and create fires in fire pits without flint. Spears would eventually become victims too, but if the Devs eventually proceed with their plans to allow tentacles to respawn then you could always replace spears with spikey sticks.

Introducing new rocks to the world occasionally seems like a splendid idea.

Agreed.

The meteor method does leave some room for concern though. What if a meteor hits your base camp and obliterates it? There are also all kinds of other inconvenient places it could land. As an example, my current world only has one tallbird. If a meteor were to take it or its nest out, what then?

True. When I played Terraria and the meteor struck I always wondered, with some apprehension, where it landed...

In the real world, the earth is constantly changing. New rocks come to the surface and old ones are swallowed by the landscape through plate tectonics. An idea that just occurred to me while writing this post is that they could implement periodic earthquakes. The screen would shake for a bit, accompanied by a rumbling sound, and new rocks would spawn in places that are not already occupied by an item or structure as a result. Seems like something a little better than a meteor strike to me.

Well earthquakes have been suggested before as a means for adding new boulders, but some players felt this would just be akin to boulders popping up out of nowhere... and what if they appeared in your base camp... say, right where your chests are stored? Two suggestions I supported for adding new boulders were:

1) Underground Caverns - Players access the underground via a small crevasse in the ground using a rope or grappler rope (gold ore + ropes) and are transitioned (i.e. teleported via loading screen) to an underground area illuminated from above. From there they explore the caverns using their own light sources and, as one might guess, there are lots of boulders to be found underground. However, as with the surface world these boulders are finite, there are just lots more of them.

2) Volcanic/Lava Biome - An area that's comprised of lava pools, steam vents, and small earth tremors. From time to time there would be an eruption and boulders would be hurled from the lava pools into the air and they would land randomly around the immediate area. Lava pools were also suggested as the birthplace of flame hounds, like ponds are the spawn point for frogs each day. The boulders spawned during the eruption allow for an infinite resource supply, not to mention a place to find new resources (i.e. obsidian), however players will find the biome very dangerous... not to mention a boulder landing on you would be fatal.

Just some suggestions I've collected.

Hmmm? In what way? Sure certain inventions would be impossible to craft, like bee mines, but you can still craft tools and create fires in fire pits without flint. Spears would eventually become victims too, but if the Devs eventually proceed with their plans to allow tentacles to respawn then you could always replace spears with spikey sticks.

Ooh, I hadn't thought about bee mines and such. I never used them, so I kinda forgot about them.

and what if they appeared in your base camp... say, right where your chests are stored?

This is why I said they would spawn in an area not currently occupied by a structure or item, so no spawning on top of chests or other things you have built, and no spawning on top of useful resources like berry bushes. Sure one might spawn in or near your base camp, but it would not replace anything leaving you with the task of breaking it down with a pickaxe to remove it. That being said, I like your volcano biome much better.

That being said, I like your volcano biome much better.

The irony is that while I always refer to this suggestion as the "volcanic biome", the 2.5D system used by the game forbids elevated terrain and thus volcanoes... so it's really more of a "lava biome". But that just never sounded as cool as "volcanic". ;)

The irony is that while I always refer to this suggestion as the "volcanic biome", the 2.5D system used by the game forbids elevated terrain and thus volcanoes... so it's really more of a "lava biome". But that just never sounded as cool as "volcanic". ;)

Technically anywhere that lava or even water geysers spring up is considered volcanic activity, if I'm not mistaken. Volcanoes aren't always mountains.

Realistically when a meteor actually hits earth it is very devastating and can cause mass extinction plus this feels like rocks randomly popping up and could destroy important things. I like the idea of a hostile lava/volcano biome much better that could spew up lava, rocks, and such occasionally. A volcano biome would be more dangerous than even a swamp.

Why not be more realistic and add mountains to the game. Have areas near this mountains where there are rocks and as rocks are removed from the world, every once in a while they tumble down from the mountains.

Yes, they can kill you if they hit you on the noggin'.

Btw, this links up nicely with someone's suggestion to add caves.

Alternate idea - you know how the rocks have three different stages of crumbling? Like partially destroyed, mostly destroyed, and entirely gone? What if each stage dropped rocks and flint, and as long as you did not completely destroy the rock, it would regenerate(SLOWLY)? The con would be that you can only mine gold by completely destroying the rock.