Friend code

I understand the whole thing about giving out the registrant's keys as fast as possible. But I wonder if it's fair to give 2 keys for the people on the Stream, while only 1 for registrants.

Edit: answered

This past week was the last time that will happen: going forward, no one will get more than 1 key until we've gotten everyone from the beta sign-up in (or we revise our plan again).

Sorry for the continued confusion in the email text--we've got it fixed locally, but we're waiting on a couple things to be able to test it properly before we can make the change go live.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think the best solution would be to make it possible to sign up for the beta as a pair together with your friend so that you get your keys at the same time. In my opinion that would be the best solution to this problem.

This actually would've been a really great thing. If only the idea had been around back when registration was possible :(

How the hell do I even remove a topic? Haha can't seem to figure it out...

Oh regarding the code, If you put your orginal code in. the code you just got is a brand new one?

Right? :3

so you give that code to a friend and they can play don't starve. (puppy dog eyes) pweease? D:

Even still, Klei's probably doing it in some sort of order (aphabetical most likely).

P.s. FEAR ME lol.

Damn. Why didn't received any mail for the beta ? :'(

I'm playing the vanilla game to prepare myself while I wait for this email.... blblblblblbblbl :wilson_confused:

Damn. Why didn't received any mail for the beta ? :'(

I'm playing the vanilla game to prepare myself while I wait for this email.... blblblblblbblbl :wilson_confused:

Did you sign up for the beta? if so. you'll get it eventually.

If you didn't, you have to either trade/beg for one.

Or wait 'til they open up phase 3.

Oh regarding the code, If you put your orginal code in. the code you just got is a brand new one?

Right? :3

so you give that code to a friend and they can play don't starve. (puppy dog eyes) pweease? D:

No I only got one code sorry, that was the core of my frustration that I have to wait for my friend to get one because I only got one ;)

If they're doing alphabetical its no wonder I didn't get a key yet even though I signed up very quickly after they posted that thread.

Pretty sure it's completely at random. ;)

I don't mean to pester, but could you please fix the email.  My best friend and I have been looking forward to playing and when I saw my email we were both excited we could actually play DST beta together.  Unfortunately the wording is misleading/confusing and got our hopes up.  I received my email after SethR said "which we're fixing as I write this."  My friend and I registered at the same time.  He actually got his registration in a few minutes before I did, if I recall correctly.  I understand why it was changed and I know he will eventually receive his key too.  Still, I have to agree with Nezeril, the way the wording in the email is just feels mean.  I shall await my friends key so that we can play/test it together.  Please fix the wording of the email though.  

I don't mean to pester, but could you please fix the email.  My best friend and I have been looking forward to playing and when I saw my email we were both excited we could actually play DST beta together.  Unfortunately the wording is misleading/confusing and got our hopes up.  I received my email after SethR said "which we're fixing as I write this."  My friend and I registered at the same time.  He actually got his registration in a few minutes before I did, if I recall correctly.  I understand why it was changed and I know he will eventually receive his key too.  Still, I have to agree with Nezeril, the way the wording in the email is just feels mean.  I shall await my friends key so that we can play/test it together.  Please fix the wording of the email though.  

They are working on making the fix live.

This past week was the last time that will happen: going forward, no one will get more than 1 key until we've gotten everyone from the beta sign-up in (or we revise our plan again).

Sorry for the continued confusion in the email text--we've got it fixed locally, but we're waiting on a couple things to be able to test it properly before we can make the change go live.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/41347-dont-starve-together-closed-beta-faq/page-3#entry566663

My brother and I were super excited when I got the email telling me we'd got a key so we could both play together.

Imagine our dismay when we found out the key only works once and we couldn't play together.

I've already purchased 'Don't Starve On Your Own'.

I'm not interested in playing with random people.  The 'community' will be the same as every other online community i.e. full of dicks who destroy your stuff for lolz...

I'm highly likely to still buy though.  ...so why don't you be a good company who cares about the people who appreciate what you're doing and send me a code for my dumbass brother so we can play TOGETHER.

Cheers.

My brother and I were super excited when I got the email telling me we'd got a key so we could both play together.

Imagine our dismay when we found out the key only works once and we couldn't play together.

I'm not interested in playing with random people.  The 'community' will be the same as every other online community i.e. full of dicks who destroy your stuff for lolz...

I'm highly likely to still buy though.  ...so why don't you be a good company who cares about the people who appreciate what you're doing and send me a code for my dumbass brother so we can play TOGETHER.

Cheers.

y'know, the link for the original message is right there, just click the arrow on the upper-right side, and it'll take you there.

ouch.... oh, wait, I am like that...

But seriously, the DS comunity is(or was, before DST, at least) a much nicer group of weird people than you think. With the exception of some random trolls and griefers that the community is slowly fighting agaist(with lazers and stuff), You'll probably change your mind after playing with them for a while(not me, though. I will still be a brass mole).

Cheers.

Cheers.

You sound like a valuable asset to this "community" which apparently consists solely out of male genitals hell bent on destroying virtual camp sites. :) Your self entitlement is required!

Cheers.

Cheers.

I understand you're upset about the wording of the e-mail. It is very misleading. The beta will be open soon enough though, and they're sending out 400-500 keys a day. The community in this game is not like any other game. I have yet to meet a jerk, I'm dead serious. Everyone I have played with thus far have been very friendly. Some are protective, but you just have to prove your worth (usually by surviving by yourself for a while). You can weed out the greifers very easy, as when they join they usually just spam "were is ur base???" over and over, and they usually play willow. At least give it a try :p

If your wife would have signed up. She would've got in too.

Don't blame the Devs for wanting to get people in quicker.

False.

She's in, I'm not. The wording of the email indicated the code was for two people. I used it. Now I have her code, and she will have to use mine when I eventually get it. You see the wording regarding (you and your friend can join!!!!!) is the issue?

Second Statement: Irrelevant and odd.

If you want people into your beta faster, you issue more keys, not less. The whole idea that issuing less keys will result in more people joining is absurd. The problem is that the keys were being traded, not used whatever. That has no effect on getting people in quicker other than... oh hey, it will actually get people in quicker cause friends can invite friends.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think the best solution would be to make it possible to sign up for the beta as a pair together with your friend so that you get your keys at the same time. In my opinion that would be the best solution to this problem.

This is a great idea. Would read again. Would click ridiculous social media like buttons for it.

@Dujour ... really? If you took the time to understand their decision (which they've provided ample explanation for), you'd realize that no matter what they do, there will be people complaining. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. If you bring back 2 keys per invite, then all the people who signed up and haven't gotten an invite are complaining about feeling "neglected" or whatever, and if they don't then some of the people who do get in complain about not being able to invite friends.

Hmmm. So you don't offer a solution. People are upset because they can't play with their friends. How do we solve that? By removing the friend keys?  @rezecib ... really?

And what happens if they let people have two codes? If they feel that they have to restrict the number of codes they send out, I would question the reality of that decision.

1. They messed up the wording on the invite and caused people undue un happiness when they tried to use the code twice for them and their friend. They are fixing that by correcting the language, fine, props to them, mistakes happen. 

2. the underlying decision is flawed. The restriction of codes will result in less people joining the beta. "We want more people to get in, so we are reducing the number of codes available." Laugh. It's hilarious. 

Someone made a decision cause they saw a bunch of keys being sold / traded / whatever. They felt they were being taken advantage of. They are wrong. You created demand for the game. People want to play it. Let them.

@Dujour, They're not reducing the number of codes being sent out. Where before they'd send 400 codes to 200 people per day, now they're sending 400 codes to 400 people (or more).

I don't offer a solution because there is no solution. Most real-world problems do not have solutions, every decision has a tradeoff. Your "solution" is probably something along the lines of "give ALL the keys!", which probably looks great to you, but, for reasons I've talked about elsewhere, would be a terrible outcome in general, even for you in the long run, because it would not only delay the release of the game, but probably damage the community around it and could even result in a worse game when it does release.

@Dujour, They're not reducing the number of codes being sent out. Where before they'd send 400 codes to 200 people per day, now they're sending 400 codes to 400 people (or more).

I don't offer a solution because there is no solution. Most real-world problems do not have solutions, every decision has a tradeoff. Your "solution" is probably something along the lines of "give ALL the keys!", which probably looks great to you, but, for reasons I've talked about elsewhere, would be a terrible outcome in general, even for you in the long run, because it would not only delay the release of the game, but probably damage the community around it and could even result in a worse game when it does release.

Good points.

Most real world problems do not have absolute solutions, but they do have good enough solutions. My solution is not to give ALL the keys as you so put. 

My solutions/problems are:

Problem: The email wording is broken.

Solution: Fix the wording so people's expectations are based in reality. ( They are already doing this, super. )

Problem: The decision to release X per day is silly and arbitrary

Problem: A set of people would like to play with friends, let's solve that problem VVV

Solution: Reconsider the 1 code per email policy. Base the beta key code distribution on real world data and not an arbitrary "X number of keys per day" limit. You want 400 people per day to be added to the beta? How many people are adding them selves to playing per day? Not living up to your numbers? Release more double key emails. 

Alternate Solution: Allow people to sign up as teams or duos or whatever like the gentleman i upvoted above. haha upvote.

@Dujour, It may be true that they're getting less key usage out of the single-code emails, but it also may not. They can't know until they've tried each. Double-codes were sent out for over a month, now single codes have been sent out for less than a week. Only they have the data on usage, so I don't think we're in a position to argue with them from that perspective.

But another factor you're ignoring is that they promised that everyone who signed up would get in during Phase 2 (Phase 3 being public open beta). So switching to the single code emails lets them fulfill that sooner, and thus get to Phase 3 sooner.

I'm not saying I disagree with you about double-key emails being better than single-key emails. Both approaches have merits and disadvantages. Personally I would (selfishly) rather receive a double-key email, but there are many other factors at play.

But yes, the signing up in pairs would've been a great thing. It's too late to do it now, though, since signups are over and developing a method of pairing post-signup would probably take significant time away from developing the game.

@Dujour, It may be true that they're getting less key usage out of the single-code emails, but it also may not. They can't know until they've tried each. Double-codes were sent out for over a month, now single codes have been sent out for less than a week. Only they have the data on usage, so I don't think we're in a position to argue with them from that perspective.

But another factor you're ignoring is that they promised that everyone who signed up would get in during Phase 2 (Phase 3 being public open beta). So switching to the single code emails lets them fulfill that sooner, and thus get to Phase 3 sooner.

I'm not saying I disagree with you about double-key emails being better than single-key emails. Both approaches have merits and disadvantages. Personally I would (selfishly) rather receive a double-key email, but there are many other factors at play.

But yes, the signing up in pairs would've been a great thing. It's too late to do it now, though, since signups are over and developing a method of pairing post-signup would probably take significant time away from developing the game.

They also promised me in an email that me and my friend could play. But we can't. Since we already broke promises, I don't think we need to worry about those anymore as long as we are doing TheBestThingPossibleThatWeKnowOfRightNow.

I know about a fictitious doctor with a time machine, can we leverage that?

• Developer

Solution: Reconsider the 1 code per email policy. Base the beta key code distribution on real world data and not an arbitrary "X number of keys per day" limit. You want 400 people per day to be added to the beta? How many people are adding them selves to playing per day? Not living up to your numbers? Release more double key emails. 

Wanted to jump in quickly here: this is exactly what we do. It's not arbitrary: we track how many of the keys we send out actually get redeemed and we track how many people are playing per day and how many people continue to play. It's certainly a moving target (which is why the policy has changed a couple times already), but the rate of key distribution and batch size sent to receivers is very much based on hard data, not values picked out of a hat. When we were sending multiple keys to individual registrants, we saw a ton of keys go unused. Increasing the number of double-key emails doesn't work here because in order to make intelligent decisions going forward, we need to be able to draw sound conclusions from looking at our data and seeing how our actions affect that data. Blasting out more keys just to inflate the number of daily active users flies in the face of that, since we have no control over whether we're actually going to get 400 or 800 new users in a given day of key-sending. While it's okay to have less control over this sort of thing at a later stage, for now our priorities are as follows:

1) Scale up slowly over time and test how our game performs under load.

2) Get beta registrants in as fast as possible.

Sending out the same number of keys per day but batching them as individual keys sent to more people achieves both of those goals. We've had conversations about the side effects here (i.e. people not necessarily knowing anyone else personally with a key), but for now, we need to keep a fairly tight grip on the rate at which we grow.

Archived