Tooth Trap Trouble

So, I made it to around day 30 in my latest attempt a RoG.  I had a nice little base.  I had explored a fair amount of  the map.  And I had a survived a couple of waves of hounds!  I built and dropped three tooth traps near my base.  Things looked great!

But then the hounds came again... and the traps they did nothing.  Just sat there looking all sharp and vicious and then not doing a thing to help me.   I survived the attack and double checked with the wiki page, and they indeed looked like the set traps and not ones that had just been dropped.   I quit out and re-entered, thinking they might be bugged. 

Long story short, I got killed by hounds again.  And the traps, well, let's just say they were very consistent in their lack of action.

So, what did I do wrong this time?

Tooth traps have a pretty small hitbox, so it can be hard to direct enemies into them. You should make a whole bunch of them and place them as close together as possible, to form a trap carpet. Also keep in mind that they need a few hits to kill a single hound and traps break after being triggered 10 times.

Sorry to hear about that Abenlen. Like the other posters have said each individual trap can be unreliable, both because of range and timing.

You can try to find the mod people have suggested, but another option is to take a few traps and set them next to some monsters to practice kiting things over them. Spiders would probably be fine, but if you can find some hound dens that would of course be ideal.

I personally don't bother with traps until I can make at least 10-20 of them. Until then any dogs I can't kill myself I run through pigs or beefalo.

So, I made it to around day 30 in my latest attempt a RoG.  I had a nice little base.  I had explored a fair amount of  the map.  And I had a survived a couple of waves of hounds!  I built and dropped three tooth traps near my base.  Things looked great!

But then the hounds came again... and the traps they did nothing.  Just sat there looking all sharp and vicious and then not doing a thing to help me.   I survived the attack and double checked with the wiki page, and they indeed looked like the set traps and not ones that had just been dropped.   I quit out and re-entered, thinking they might be bugged. 

Long story short, I got killed by hounds again.  And the traps, well, let's just say they were very consistent in their lack of action.

So, what did I do wrong this time?

They do have a pretty awful delay. It is better to place them on a free space outside your base and lead the hounds onto them. Thanks to their fighting (or biting) animation they stop and stand still for a while. Mostly this delay in the hounds movement is enough to trigger the trap reliably.

So you have to kite the hounds into the traps.

Oh, and 3 traps are too less. I wouldn't bother to make a field beneath 10 traps. Beefalo are just so much more efficient!

Thanks for clueing me in on how they work.  I had the idea that they would trip as soon as something ran over them, the way the rabbit catching traps work. 

Thanks also to those that suggest the mod.  I play on Steam so I have no idea how to install a mod that doesn't come from the workshop, sorry.  But even if I did, I doubt that I would use this particular one.  My goal is to be able to play and survive in the world with the balance that the devs intended.  Right now I'm clearly not doing so well at this, obviously.  But I am afraid that if I come to rely on mods that significantly change how the survival mechanics work, I'll never really learn how to deal with the "real" Don't Starve world.

This is just my personal preference.  I mean no disrespect to those that choose to play in a different way.  Your world, your choice!

Archived