Obelisks - sane or insane state?

As we know Obelisks either become taller or smaller depending on your sanity. How would that work in multi? Taking the closest player wouldn't work as two players, sane and insane, would just get through each obelisks walls (in adventure mode). 

I would say that Obelisks would take an average of players sanity OR would let through the player with desired sanity but would block the way for the player with wrong sanity level.

What do you think?

PS: So many troubles with insanity...

As we know Obelisks either become taller or smaller depending on your sanity. How would that work in multi? Taking the closest player wouldn't work as two players, sane and insane, would just get through each obelisks walls (in adventure mode). 

I would say that Obelisks would take an average of players sanity OR would let through the player with desired sanity but would block the way for the player with wrong sanity level.

What do you think?

PS: So many troubles with insanity...

There is a similar forumn about events involving player sanity/insanity called Sanity paradox: rabbit trap  :grin:

Edit: but i guess i'm not helping just pointing out another post when yours is just as nice, sorry :razz:

I think both your ideas are good for Adventure Mode. Either the entire group would have to be sane enough to pass, or they would be forced to either help their insane friend(s) or ditch them in orer to continue. Though I don't think they are implementing adventure mode (or ROG) right away, they're focusing on making the main survival mode of the game playable, which of course has the pig king and his obelisks... far as I know its up to Klei for now. Worst case, if they can magicly remove adventure mode, ROG and caves then they could probably remove obelisks if needed until there is a solid solution.

Well, not an issue until they implement Adventure Mode into DST. They will have time to think about this though!

You can find some obelisks around the pig king.

Indeed. Unless they remove the obelisks from there, they will have to work on that one.

Though, since they are useless there, they could be changed into Pig Lights or Marble Pillars, maybe.

I feel that if two players, one insane and one sane, come to an obelisk, whichever one has the required mental condition will pass through, and appear to walk through the obelisk to the other guy.

Insanity will do some mind twisting for the insane people with the sanity obelisk. But vice versa with the insanity obelisk; the sane person would probably be like o_O

Well, not an issue until they implement Adventure Mode into DST. They will have time to think about this though!

Actually the pig king sits by two sanity and two insanity obelisks, so yeah, either they remove them for the time being or game crashes.

Actually the pig king sits by two sanity and two insanity obelisks, so yeah, either they remove them for the time being or game crashes.

Unless the two users somehow manage to harvest it at the same time it won't crash, since crashing only happens with pickables, and that also should be addressed by now. Again, even if it happened in a mod, it should not happen here. This has been rewritten to interact with multiple players and not modded to allow on single player. 

Unless the two users somehow manage to harvest it at the same time it won't crash, since crashing only happens with pickables, and that also should be addressed by now. Again, even if it happened in a mod, it should not happen here. This has been rewritten to interact with multiple players and not modded to allow on single player. 

how do you harvest a obelisk?

You don't, so it shouldn't be an issue.

It certainly isn't a pickable, but it still interracts with player and mobs as well, which is that the obelisks have animations and for different players in one map, they'll play different animations, but that's not the case. The case is that an extended obelisk is different from a shrunk one, as the entended one is not possible to pass through, which means that while one might be insane and step through an insanity obelisk, the sane person won't which will result either for a crash or The mask man's teleportation jutsu ;)

This might as well be a bigger paradox as the mods (such as pigs) also interact with the obelisks and whether the obelisk for the mob is or is not passable will have to be determined by either the sane person's perspective or the isnae person's. This also might cause crash. This can be fixed only by having a sanity metre for mobs (unlikely thing to happen) or have the mobs being either permanently sane or insane, to determine which path of obelisks they would follow. If I confused you, sorry, I can't explain differently.

._. wow. Looks like we've found another sanity paradox. Or we'll see people walking through through Obelisks like the masked man from Naturo and people being stuck behind "invisible walls".

This seems completely okay to me. The players should interact with the obelisks based on their own sanity, and others should see what they're doing regardless of whether it looks possible to them or not.

You could change it up to make it look fancier, I guess, but I don't see why that behavior is problematic.

This seems completely okay to me. The players should interact with the obelisks based on their own sanity, and others should see what they're doing regardless of whether it looks possible to them or not.

You could change it up to make it look fancier, I guess, but I don't see why that behavior is problematic.

Reason why it is problematic: Obelisk interactions with obelisks. Said it before, now saying it the second time, not gonna repeat anymore.

Reason why it is problematic: Obelisk interactions with obelisks. Said it before, now saying it the second time, not gonna repeat anymore.

Obelisks don't interact with obelisks. Obelisks exist in one location that cannot be occupied by another obelisk. They don't move.

There's no paradox solving needed here, just potential crash fixes.

Obelisks don't interact with obelisks. Obelisks exist in one location that cannot be occupied by another obelisk. They don't move.

There's no paradox solving needed here, just potential crash fixes.

*second hand facepalm* sorry, I meant to say mob interactions with obelisks. But obelisks interacting with obelisks; dat sentence thou :D

*second hand facepalm* sorry, I meant to say mob interactions with obelisks. But obelisks interacting with obelisks; dat sentence thou :grin:

That makes more sense. I'd just assume the mobs are sane, I guess, and decide the interactions that way. It makes sense from a sole observer's perspective: if they're sane, they should see pigs moving around the obselisks in the way that makes sense; if they're not sane, they'll see pigs walking through them.

That makes more sense. I'd just assume the mobs are sane, I guess, and decide the interactions that way. It makes sense from a sole observer's perspective: if they're sane, they should see pigs moving around the obselisks in the way that makes sense; if they're not sane, they'll see pigs walking through them.

Actually there are two types of obelisks, so there will be pigs walking through obelisks while you're insane.

Archived