Who Was Behind the Train Crash?

This isn't so much lore as it is a theory, a game theory of mine, but I think it still fits here.

Feedback is appreciated. Whether it's a simple, "This is good." or, "I disagree with this because (list of legitimate reasons)."  But please no, "dis is stupud an ur stupud" ok? No one likes that.

From what I can tell of the William Carter puzzles, William accumulated debt and was being threatened by who ever he owed the debt too, perhaps loan sharks. He took a train to California to visit his brother and/or escape the lone sharks. However, before he got there, the train crashed and William went missing. Now let's look at the train wreck a bit closer, shall we?

The cause of the wreck was a circus cart that had gotten stuck on the track. It crashed in the middle of the dessert, miles away from any civilization. In the chaos, potentially dangerous monkeys escaped. Because of all this, the only person to go missing (aka, William) was presumed dead. So a train crashes in the middle of the desert and the only person to go missing is the one who's being hunted by loan sharks? Seems a bit too convenient, doesn't it?

Now one could look at the Strongman title in the circus poster and think, "It was Wolfgang. He did it, and Maxwell found out so he trapped him in the Don't Starve world." Perhaps, but don't you think if Maxwell found the guy who tried to kill him he would punish him a bit more harshly than the random strangers he's pulled in?Now, who can we think of that was punished harshly? Wes. And in the circus poster, who does the man who's balancing on the elephant look like? Wes. 

My theory is, the loan sharks caught wind of William trying to ride to California. So they contacted Wes, who ether worked for them or owned a debt, and told him to take care of it. Now Wes at this time was a bit more fit than he is now. You kind of have to be in order to balance on an elephant like that. Thus, he was able to find a way to sabotage the train and make sure William ended up in the desert somewhere. Maxwell found out somehow that Wes was behind it and punished him by trapping him in an invisible box. The box wasn't big enough for him to do anything, but it still kept him alive. Thus, Wes' mental and physical deteriorated to the point where it is now.

*bows*

• Like 6

I like this point of view. But maybe Maxwell trapped Wes because the latter is a french mime and that Maxy either is racist or don't like mimes ? ( :razz:)

Or maybe William DECIDED to crash the train so that the sharks would leave him in peace ? *DUN DUN DUUUUUUN*

Edited by Malan-Tai
  • Like 1

I like this point of view. But maybe Maxwell trapped Wes because the latter is a french mime and that Maxy either is racist or don't like mimes ? ( :razz:)

Or maybe William DECIDED to crash the train so that the sharks would leave him in peace ? *DUN DUN DUUUUUUN*

Hmmmm maybe, maybe. *strokes chin thoughtfully* 

Beautiful. Now I know mimes ARE evil.

Was there ever any doubt?

Hm. An interesting idea. Always was wondering why the train crashed. What I really want to know is, why did William find the Codex Umbra where he found it?

I really don't have a complete theory about that, but my head cannon is Them gave it to him Themselves soon after the train crash so he could survive the desert. You know, through magic!

But hey, it's just a theory.

A GAME theory.

I already made that joke.

I always figured he ran away when the crash happened as it was the perfect cover up. 

I never thought of Wes being a Loan Shark before though. A mime shows up at your door and literally shoots you with an invisible gun. That's terrifying. 

I lol'd so hard at the invisible gun. XD

How would Maxwell know that Wes had done it, though? And if he had known before the train crashed, wouldn't he have written something about it in the letter?

I think he found out about it once he wad one the thrown. Just one day Them were like,

"Hey, you see that Mime over there? Yeah, was the one who chrashed the train so he's pretty much the reason you're here."

And Maxwell be like,

"That little ****!"

I think he found out about it once he wad one the thrown. Just one day Them were like,

"Hey, you see that Mime over there? Yeah, was the one who chrashed the train so he's pretty much the reason you're here."

And Maxwell be like,

"That little ****!"

Doubtful that he'd believe them so easily... But okay!

I always assumed the shadow watchers were behind the crash. It would be too much of a coincidence if Mr. Carter just happened to find the Codex Umbra after a train crash that had no apparent cause. According to the papers, this wasn't the first time a train crash happened at that site.

That's a good theory, I do think the guy in the poster is Wes. What if everyone wasn't a complete stranger, though? What if Wilson smacked William (while he was preforming before being Maxwell) with a tomato? (Because isn't that what crowds do?)

OR

Maybe Wilson tried to debunk William's magic acts? Magic is optical illusions, and optical illusions are science...

Edited by DragonUnderTheStairs

That's a good theory, I do think the guy in the poster is Wes. What if everyone wasn't a complete stranger, though? What if Wilson smacked William (while he was preforming before being Maxwell) with a tomato? (Because isn't that what crowds do?)

OR

Maybe Wilson tried to debunk William's magic acts? Magic is optical illusions, and optical illusions are science...

Maybe, but my point still stands. Most people would want to punish the guy who almost got them killed a bit more than the guy who threw a tomato at him.

The problem with the whole "Maxwell wants revenge on Wilson" theory is that we haven't really seen any interaction between Maxwell and Wilson besides the origin trailer. Plus, I thought that Klei has mentioned that Wilson is 25-35 years old. That means the oldest he could've been around that time was fifteen. 

The problem with the whole "Maxwell wants revenge on Wilson" theory is that we haven't really seen any interaction between Maxwell and Wilson besides the origin trailer. Plus, I thought that Klei has mentioned that Wilson is 25-35 years old. That means the oldest he could've been around that time was fifteen. 

William was probably practicing out on the street for tips and plucky teen Wilson threw a tomato at him, I bet. One does not simply forget having a tomato thrown at them, no sir. 

• Like 1

William was probably practicing out on the street for tips and plucky teen Wilson threw a tomato at him, I bet. One does not simply forget having a tomato thrown at them, no sir.

Probably saying how stupid and unbelievable magic is.