Revelations of the Madman

Percival

Shana looked of to the side. She wasn't sure she should be telling a stranger about herself so soon, but everyone else seemed so open about their past. Besides, there was nothing to gain about hiding her own. She sighed.

"I... I'm supposed to be blind. My eyes were burned beyond repair, no matter what operations the doctors did. I was lying in a hospital bed after another failed surgery when I heard it. A voice. It seemed to come from all around me... from the darkness my eyes could not pierce. He said he could give me my sight back, so that I could see the beauty of the world again. I accepted, and woke up here, like this."

She lifted her hands up, palms turned upwards.

​"... but my appearance wasn't the only thing that changed."

In her hand appeared a sphere of shadow that warped and twisted before elongating and forming a chain about a foot in length.

Edited by MenaAthena

"13...12...11..."

Words dissipated from his concsiousness and were replaced with blurry images of scenarios. Faces of forgotten individuals flashed, each appearing as silhouettes in frames, some with broken frames, some with shatter lines emenating from their eyes.

A person of importance that was plagued by greed. A brilliant soul that wanted inspiration. A child dying from her own imagination and nightmares made real. An individual that wanted another chance to live after the rope was tied. A tarot reader that wanted to know her fate. A person that wanted to awake from his coma. One was not a person but a shadow that wanted to live a real life. All died a special death.

"10...9...8..."

(Edit: I didn't follow the order, did I. I can't follow my own rules.)

Edited by Percival

"ZZZ-"

Adam suddenly jumped up, stood on his feet and swung his arm as if he was trying to grab something. He woke up.

"What the... God dammit! I hate those dreams... nevermind. i'll go back to sleep now."

He leant back, sighed again, and fell asleep.

"zzz..."

(I dunno what im doing really. just... i dunno, get on with your stuff.)

(We're all failures.

To make up for it, I will tell you that you guys have fulfilled the requirements for at least twenty or so endings. Some of which are the most bizarre ones I've ever made in a narrative trope-run roleplay.)

(Oop.)

"7...6...5-"

Silas paused in the middle of his counting, his head still ringing from the words spinning in his mind. He looked up at the sky, continuing his countdown inside his head. The sky was  a shade of crimson, the sun a half-circle in the distance. The sun was setting, and the day was slipping away into the fingers of darkness. He stood up. He had forgotten to gather any sort of wood. Panicking slightly, he walked towards the slowly increasing gloom that was the darkness, foraging grass and twigs he could find on the way for a make-shift torch.

[4. 3. 2.]

(Yes, it's turning night.)

Edited by Percival

Noticing the decreasing amont of light, Shana calmly placed a couple logs in the fire pit and lit it aflame before answering Dorian's question. She had also dismissed Adam's outburst as merely a nightmare.

"I'm not sure. I don't like using it."

She sat by the blaze and looked into the flames a moment before continuing.

"... What's different about my soul, exactly?"

"It's bright blue, which is odd. Normally souls are a deeper color, like brown or dark blue. And your eyes are black, when they're normally white. And you've got these... long scars." Dorian shuddered, watching the soul as he described it. "Was... Was it worth it? For you eyesight back?"

[1......0......]

Silas stopped in his tracks as he began to walk into the forest. He slowly turned his head to stare into the distance off to his right. He could have sworn... No. It can't be.

A small flicker of light escaped the branches and trunks of the forest and caught his eye, magnified as a glare on his olive-colored glasses. It could've been the sun, admittedly, but he was under the shade of the trees, and the sun was already beginning to set. Odd. Silas gave a start when he realized he saw the light at the time when his internal countdown has reached it's end.

He quickly rushed back to his base to gather the few supplies he had, rushing as the sun crawled slowly towards the horizon and merged with the land. He grabbed a couple of menial materials, such as twigs and flint, while also carrying the odd spear. He also grabbed a papyrus, handmade pigskin-bound book from the farthest chest in his base.

With everything he needs, he ran towards where he remembers the light coming from, dropping a few shavings of grass and snapped twigs in his hurry.

(Mind if I describe my soul to Dorian when we meet?)

Shana thinks for a moment, looking down at the chain still cluched in her hand.

"No... it wasn't. I'm trapped here, away from anyone who's ever cared about me, and I don't know if there is a way back. Even if there is, I can't go back, not like this." Her hand tightened around the chain until the knuckles turned white, and her voice was full of self loathing. "I'm a freak, Dorian. A monster."

She was to preoccupied with her thoughts to see faint glimpses of a figure in the trees coming closer towards them.

"To be fair, I am one, too." Dorian retrieved a bloody knife from his back pocket, showing it to Shana. "See this? I used this to kill someone." the soul-seer spoke quickly in order to interrupt any interjections that Shana could have. "His soul was depressed. I had to set it free. I did him a favor. But that doesn't make me any less of a murderer to the rest of the world. Heading back would be bad new for me, too."

The sun merged with the ground, the sky turning black in an instant. The lack of a twilight is strange, but nevertheless, the overworld was covered in a blanket of gloom. Looking up at what he could see of the sky through the leaves, Silas hurried his pace and wrapped bundles of grass around tied twigs, creating a crude torch for when the creatures of the dark decided to attack him. Nevermind the fact that he didn't have anything to light it; assuming the light flickering between the trees wasn't a figment of the mind, he would set the torch aflame there.

She sat by the fire, staring at Dorian with a blank expression. This man, the one she just revealed her secret to, who seemed so kind and innocent, had comited murder, and confessed it openly with no hint of remorse. Shana remained speechless as she processed this information, not sure how to feel about her companion.