Shadow Hands Stealing Fire

According to Seth:

''if you're insane, you experience the effects; if you're not, you don't. The difference here is that when you go insane, there could already be shadow creatures nearby if a friend went insane before you.

... ...

If you have two insane players in one place, you'll get more shadow creatures, but both players will be able to attack all of them''

So, the night hand can be there but you won't see it if you're the one who's NOT INSANE.

So you mean, since he said "effects", that the fire goes down for all players who can see the hands?

Mind = Blown :wilson_horror:

So you mean, since he said "effects", that the fire goes down for all players who can see the hands?

Mind = Blown :wilson_horror:

The night hand rips space and time, and creates a parallel universe for those who are insane. All this takes is a little bit of your fuel.  :willowilson:

I think the sanity system would need to be reworked entirely for it to work for multiplayer. I always imagine something along the lines of Eternal Darkness in the sense that insane players would see something that not actually happening, items that aren't there, ect.

I've been troubled by this for several months but I think I found a solution to this problem. It's like they said, only the person halucinating will halucinate. So I think the fire should still be there... but to the player who is halucinating and seeing hands, the hands will come out and attempt to steal the fire light and if it is successful then only the person halucinating who didn't take out the hands will have a fire out while the person who is sane will still have a fire there. Although this would set things up for more problems. For example, say there are 3 people in a world. Person A made a fire and is not insane, person B is near person A but is insane and sees the hands trying to take fire. The hands take the fire out for person B while person A sits comfortably near the fire. Person C walking with a torch is not insane but walks up to the fire next to person A. Person C starts halucinating......at this point, is the fire already out because of person B or is the fire the way it is before person C started halucinating and person C must stop the hands from taking out the fire. Also, if any of them halucinating were to heal their sanity by eating something that restores sanity or whatever the process and they become sane again, would the fire that the sane person had reappear or would the fire still be out because of the hands?

Answer me this, if they weren't both insane, how would something sanity-related physically affect the world for both? Plus, didn't Klei say they were interdimensional beings attracted by insane people rather than hallucinations?

because if the shadow hands DID snuff at the fire, it WOULD go down for everybody...or would it......

In-universe rationales aside, it seems petty to kill an unsuspecting player without warning because, unbeknownst to them, a nearby player has moderately low sanity and the fire is two hand-grabs away from zero. Perhaps everyone should hear the music box playing (or some other signal), even if they can't see the hands, to give them a chance to stoke the fire up.

Well, lore-wise, the real world should be affected by hallucinations, since they're not actually hallucinations, and the hands should take out the fire. I'm unsure wheter or not all the players should see the hands lore-wise, but gameplay-wise, I believe that they should have at least some indication that their fire is going to be taken out, so that if they die, at least their deaths don't feel like it wasn't their fault.

Maybe the hallucinations can first spawn as traps that only insane people (We should remove the insanity bar) can see like a chest the would cause your food to rot, t insane people can show signs effects they don't actually have like freezing and overheating or a campfire appearing differant to insane players.

and when everyone is insane, everyone will see the beardling and hallucinations and the hands.

Archived