Fireside Chats (with a video game designer) - June 27, 2014

OK... Here's a little backstory!

I started playing this game, Spelunky on my computer. My son couldn't get used to the controls so we got it on XBOX. Once we got it, he very quickly became better than me, so we would deathmatch. That kid does nothing but spam me with bombs so I can't even get up. So, naturally, I started doing it to him so he would know just how annoying it is. Didn't work. He calls me Spammy McSpamerson!! LOL.

So, while it might sound cruel to grief this kid every chance I get, I will still do it and with a smile on my face everytime!! Mostly because I know he'll be looking out to do the same thing!

I think after Multiplayer when things settle down you guys should 100% make another DLC with the intention of the Mad Science Tech Tier. It sounded awesome and I think I'm not the only one who would get it.

Edit: Also with Reign of Giants, You guys were spot on; its amazing.

Yeah I would totally buy Mad Science DLC. Sounded great.

• Developer

could you explain the buzzard too?

I'm really having trouble to understand what they were suposed to act like

I mentioned them there because, though you can kill buzzards in other ways, the easiest way is to place a morsel on the ground, wait for a buzzard to fly down for a snack and then attack it. This process requires active participation (as opposed to setting a trap for a bird or a rabbit and leaving and coming back to a full trap), which was the common thread with moleworm hunting. Does that clear it up?

I mentioned them there because, though you can kill buzzards in other ways, the easiest way is to place a morsel on the ground, wait for a buzzard to fly down for a snack and then attack it. This process requires active participation (as opposed to setting a trap for a bird or a rabbit and leaving and coming back to a full trap), which was the common thread with moleworm hunting. Does that clear it up?

yes(although I still think they give way too much meat for too little work)

A random thought hit me, I know people have been debating how sleep will work in DS:T. How about set it, so that way activating a sleeping item will do an animation like the bush hat or the snurtle shell, and instead of forcing the time forward, you sit there in real time "sleeping" which causes healing and sanity gain, and I guess slightly sped up hunger loss (not sure how that makes realistic sense but it's a balancing thing)

It seems like that ,I don't see any idea might be "fit" like this one

OK... Here's a little backstory!

I started playing this game, Spelunky on my computer. My son couldn't get used to the controls so we got it on XBOX. Once we got it, he very quickly became better than me, so we would deathmatch. That kid does nothing but spam me with bombs so I can't even get up. So, naturally, I started doing it to him so he would know just how annoying it is. Didn't work. He calls me Spammy McSpamerson!! LOL.

So, while it might sound cruel to grief this kid every chance I get, I will still do it and with a smile on my face everytime!! Mostly because I know he'll be looking out to do the same thing!

xbox controller is far superior to keyboard with Spelunky. but I just bought the controller, not the whole system ;)

The playtest will be tomorrow, but the video won't be posted until next week. Tomorrow, they will be solely focused on the playtest.

Ah, well yay anyways :grin:!

Reign of Giants was perfect, can't wait for Together!

Me neither! #PUMPED!

yes(although I still think they give way too much meat for too little work)

Gobblers taught me this method (with produce of course) very well. As for the Buzzard vs Gobbler reward drop, that's a whole other kettle of fish....which I could get from Tumbleweeds...whoops losing focus on the greatness that is RoG :) 

The playtest will be tomorrow, but the video won't be posted until next week. Tomorrow, they will be solely focused on the playtest. 

You actually had a Playtest on the Fourth of July? God bless Developers! :) 

Archived