Don't Starve Across Platforms

Hey guys,

New to the forum, super excited for the multiplayer of Don't Starve. :D

I have a few questions I'm hoping to get answered:

1) Will we be able to play across platforms with friends? ie. Steam/GOG

2) You say "release in Summer 2014". Which Summer is that? Mind giving a rough estimate of 2-3 months or so?

Thanks for the help!

1. If the servers are joinable via IP then I'm pretty sure you'll be able to play cross-platform.

This type of game is a good candidate for cross-platform. I've still never heard of it being that simple.

Thanks for the quick and friendly response guys!

WRT: 1) Do you know if its going to be joinable via IP or are you taking a guess?

2) Awesome! Thanks ^_^

We only know what is on the sticky at the top of the subforum. Everything else is guessing.

Hey guys,

New to the forum, super excited for the multiplayer of Don't Starve. :grin:

I have a few questions I'm hoping to get answered:

1) Will we be able to play across platforms with friends? ie. Steam/GOG

2) You say "release in Summer 2014". Which Summer is that? Mind giving a rough estimate of 2-3 months or so?

Thanks for the help!

1.) No, since there are differences in the Steam Version to the standalone or retired Google version (the same goes for PS4 version/Steam Version) but who knows!

2.) It's Western Hemisphere Summer so it'd be Eastern Hemisphere Winter and from my reading, it was "Late Summer 2014"

Cool, thanks for the help guys!

I'm hoping maybe the devs post here sometimes? Would really be keen to know if it was through IP. I bought a GOG version and my friends have Steam, so I'm hoping we will be able to play.

Late Summer, so expected around September I guess? :D

Cool, thanks for the help guys!

I'm hoping maybe the devs post here sometimes? Would really be keen to know if it was through IP. I bought a GOG version and my friends have Steam, so I'm hoping we will be able to play.

Late Summer, so expected around September I guess? :grin:

They post a lot once they figure out their plan (just take a look at the RoG subforum as proof). But now, it's just a waiting game.

Cool! 

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. Really friendly community. :D

Hopefully the devs will come and drop a reply at some point. Although to be fair, buying the game again on Steam wouldn't be the end of the world. With the amount of time I've played, it's probably worth a few copies. :p

Thanks for the quick and friendly response guys!

WRT: 1) Do you know if its going to be joinable via IP or are you taking a guess?

2) Awesome! Thanks ^_^

Well the thing is, they said they wanted to make private and public games, and there are 2 ways that come to mind when talking about private games.

1. Host are the players themselves and people join via IP

2. Klei are the hosts players join via password

The first option is less taxing on Klei and cheaper so my guess is that is the probable option.

Who knows though, I could be wrong, I'm just building on the little than we know.

1.) No, since there are differences in the Steam Version to the standalone or retired Google version (the same goes for PS4 version/Steam Version) but who knows!

2.) It's Western Hemisphere Summer so it'd be Eastern Hemisphere Winter and from my reading, it was "Late Summer 2014"

...The earth rotates west-east.  Eastern and Western hemispheres are in the same season, timezone differences aside.

Damn, get off the forums and read a book.

...The earth rotates west-east.  Eastern and Western hemispheres are in the same season, timezone differences aside.

Damn, get off the forums and read a book.

Thanks. Appreciate your condescension.

It's not common knowledge which country Klei comes from unless you spend some time Googling it. Forgive me for asking community members to share their knowledge. It seemed easier to ask for an approximate month rather than ask where the development team is from and then figure out a potential release date based on their hemispheric location.

I know. No need to be rude anyway.

^ This.

It's not common knowledge which country Klei comes from unless you spend some time Googling it. Forgive me for asking community members to share their knowledge. It seemed easier to ask for an approximate month rather than ask where the development team is from and then figure out a potential release date based on their hemispheric location.

The Dev team is from Canada and I knew that before since they once did a restart on Vancouver time.

I know. No need to be rude anyway.

Clearly you don't, because you never edited your post.  It's NORTHERN and SOUTHERN hemispheres that are opposite seasons.  This is covered in 3rd grade geography.

^ This.

Life is really not that hard.  It took me 3 seconds to google to find they were based in Vancouver.  It's kind of hilarious that you'd think you'd need to know their hemispheric location, as the vast, vast majority of game development is in the northern hemisphere.

The fact that you'd need to ask where the dev team is from is ridiculous.

It's like, you were way over-thinking the problem, but that's not really an option for you.

Clearly you don't, because you never edited your post.  It's NORTHERN and SOUTHERN hemispheres that are opposite seasons.  This is covered in 3rd grade geography.

Even still no need to be rude about it.

And you don't dictate my posts so, give me a good reason to listen to you.

Agreed, don´t let him get to you. He also commented on some of my posts and basically went "This is the worst thing ever and you are an idiot"...He´s a delightful person...

You're right, I shouldn't have been rude.  I was just shocked that someone could have major misconceptions about geography and not know they don't have a firm grasp on it.

Agreed, don´t let him get to you. He also commented on some of my posts and basically went "This is the worst thing ever and you are an idiot"...He´s a delightful person...

I'm not sure which suggestion you're referring to, but they have a common flaw.

Your suggestions all have a high level of flavor, but low levels of practical value.  While you clearly love the game and it's corresponding lore, you have a poor grasp of game theory that leads to to make suggestions that are either counterproductive or unproductive uses of developer time.

When I said your suggestions are bad, it's not a personal attack, I don't think you're a bad person, or that the goals of your suggestion aren't admirable.  Your suggestions are bad because you haven't correctly modeled how your ideas will not work if implemented.

This is a difficult thing to get right, many actual game developers implement poor mechanics because they haven't thought it through or don't understand how players will react to them.  You have to understand game systems, you have to understand people, and understand how games and people interact.

I don't think you're an idiot.  I think you're young and don't know enough yet.

You're right, I shouldn't have been rude.  I was just shocked that someone could have major misconceptions about geography and not know they don't have a firm grasp on it.

Well no one can know everything all at once. During school you can't forget simple infrastructure of learning like math and how to read and write.

Archived