Is there a proper coding environment for Don't Starve mods?

Hi,

So, I know that don't starve mods use LUA mostly to work. However, even though LUA knowledge is recommended, there are still things like SimPreInit and what not that I don't believe can be just looked up on the LUA manual. 

Now, a quick anecdote, to make myself clear.

In my engineering class, we had a unit where we built and programmed robots using an environment known as RobotC, which is based on the C++ language. A particularly useful thing was the menu on the side that sorted into categories various functions and stuff that was used in the hardware brain of the robot, like "StartMotor(port, strength)"

Little snippets could be dragged and dropped  and modified as the required arguments were filled in

end anecdote

So, is there a similar thing where one can do this for Don't Starve mods, like an external library of DS functions like SimPreInit  that can be imported to an environment like Eclipse? Or something similar?

I call things like SimPreInit "functions" because that's what I view them as.

If you did not understand this post, I will be glad to elaborate, but I cannot elaborate infinitely.

Why are you want to import them? All DS modding libraries (known as API) are imported automatically to mod environment...

We have API, and we know how to use it (search for API_examples), who needs more?

Why are you want to import them? All DS modding libraries (known as API) are imported automatically to mod environment...

We have API, and we know how to use it (search for API_examples), who needs more?

I think he's asking for a way to import function as a drag-and-drop list.

So, is there a similar thing where one can do this for Don't Starve mods, like an external library of DS functions like SimPreInit  that can be imported to an environment like Eclipse? Or something similar?

There isn't a lot of documentation outside of opening up mods (sample or otherwise).

As for a coding environment, I don't see the point of using a dedicated IDE for it. I personally use Sublime Text, since it does all sorts of lovely things, but it's down to user preference.

I don't see the point of using a dedicated IDE for it. I personally use Sublime Text, since it does all sorts of lovely things, but it's down to user preference.

same here, i am using internal editor in Far Commander, its have syntax/brackets highlighting for many languages including LUA.

post-379935-0-11551300-1400185021_thumb.

Archived