Ham Bat Nerfed - What is Your Weapon of Choice Now?

Basically the title question.  My number one weapon used to be the ham bat, with its great and infinite damage output and extreme easiness to find the resources necessary and craft it.  But now as it rots its damage goes down, it seems more of a hassle or danger to carry, especially during the last days of its rot-cycle. My issue now is finding a new weapon to fill the whole that has been left by my once-favourite ham bat.  So how about anyone else, what is the go-to weapon of choice now? Or how do you feel about the nerf?

I also still use the ham bat for most things, but I keep a tentacle spike handy for when the bat gets fairly low and I want to kill something faster. The boomerang is also pretty handy as a cheap-to-make ranged weapon if you know how to use it right. 

I use dark sword when killing ancient guardian, tentacle for butchering giants and ham bats for fighting tree guard or other really tanky mobs(mainly rock lobster). I guess ham bat is still a number one choice of weapon, just not for everything. 

I prefer the dark sword, so effective...I love it!

I am loving the Dark Sword recently as well.

It is cheap to make, and does massive damage.

Sure it drains sanity, but you won't be equipping it for long periods of time. And your fights will be over so fast that you might actually be saving sanity, especially against boss monsters which drain huge amounts of sanity the longer you fight them.

I am loving the Dark Sword recently as well.

It is cheap to make, and does massive damage.

Sure it drains sanity, but you won't be equipping it for long periods of time. And your fights will be over so fast that you might actually be saving sanity, especially against boss monsters which drain huge amounts of sanity the longer you fight them.

Yes and the fact I play as Maxwell so it does nothing bad to me in the regards to sanity. I can equip that with the armor and it barely puts a dent into my sanity. It is just great how quick you can take down enemies with it.

I honestly do not get all the complaints about the ham bat nerf, the ham bat is still arguably the best general melee weapon you could be using.

Let's do some math:

Ham Bat does 59 damage per swing the second you craft it and loses about a little less than 3 damage per day but let's just say it's a flat 3 damage decrease for the sake of simplicity.

So after 3 days the ham bat is roughly at 50 damage per swing. A tentacle spike does 51 damage per swing. The difference between the 2 is negligible to the point of irrelevance.

After 6 days the ham bat is roughly at 41 damage per swing. A bat bat does 42 damage per swing. A bat bat isn't that bad of a melee weapon even without the life steal and it's a certainty that damage is way better than a spear's 34 damage per swing.

So, really, you could easily look at this nerf as a timeframe nerf. You just should be crafting a fresh ham bat after 4 to 5 days instead of at the bitter end of 10 days once it's rot in your inventory, which is more than reasonable considering how easy it is to get the materials for a ham bat.

Me, personally? I still use the ham bat a lot, it's my primary go-to weapon, I just replace it after it goes stale or spoiled. Why do I wait so late instead of crafting it sooner? Because it's not like you need an amazing uber weapon to kill spiders, pigs, or most general mobs anyway. A spear was always more than good enough for the task, hell an axe has always been good enough for these tasks. So what I have to swing the ham bat a third time on a spider? Killing it in 2 hits as opposed to 3 just isn't that big of a deal.

Archived