Your Greatest RoG mistakes

Letting the Bearger get way too close to my base. Poor Chester was there and then Beager thought that it would be a lovely time to do his structure obliterating AOE attack right net to my camp and Chester. To make the senario even worse, I proceeded to fight Beager in pouring rain, which gave me hypothermia, which killed me. Goddamit Bearger.

It's probably not my greatest mistake, but it is my most recent and I'm still trying to decompress.

I was doing well; too well it seems.

Winter was thawing and I had entered the first few days of Spring.

My base had 6 improved farms, an ice flingomatic, prestihatitator, alchemy machine, 2 crock pots, 2 ice boxes, 6 drying racks, a lightining rod, 40 saplings, 30 berry bushes, 3 chests, a purple gem, 6 nighmare fuel, 11 gears, 20 gold, and 6 living logs.

I went to a nearby swamp to gather some reeds and found a set piece with 2 clockwork knights and 2 gears.

I figured it couldn't hurt to have more gears, so I aggroed the knights and led them to some tentacles who eventually killed the two of them. I gathered the gears, killed one of the tentacles, and started to freeze in the early spring downpour.

I lacked the rocks for a fire ring, so I started a fire to warm up before killing a nearby tentacle in hopes of a getting a spike. I put my log suit on a safe distance from my fire (i.e. already learned my hard lesson about putting it on near an unprotected fire).

Unfortunately, the tentacle managed to get in a few good hits in spite of my kiting efforts. With less than 50 health, I decided that I should try to finish it with a fire staff that I'd found.

I nearly used up the staff only to discover that tentacles are unphased by them.  :grey:

By this time, it was getting close to dawn and my fire was dwindling. I looked for my logs and realized that they were still in my backpack. I clicked my pack only to launch a fireball at it; burning it and most of its contents to ashes.

I was livid and about to be plunged into complete darkness, but fortunately, I still had a torch with less than 30% left that allowed me to make it through to morning. Once dawn broke, I finished the tentacle and collected my new spike.

I then decided to try to cut my losses and head back to camp, but since the 11 logs that were in my pack burned, I realized that I had to stop to cut some wood and gather enough grass for another torch and possible campfire in case I started to freeze again.

As I approached the nearest grove of trees, the screen started shaking; of course it was the moosegoose.  :mad-new:

I ran the opposite direction to the next nearest stand of trees and started chopping. The tree fell and two treeguards stood up.

I thought that I could still make lemonade from these lemons if I could only play them off against the moosegoose. Unfortunately, I still needed more than a few logs to make it through the night in a rainstorm.  

I chop kited a couple more trees while trying to bring the 3 of them together. Night started to fall again and I was forced to set up another fire while kiting the 3 of them around trying to make them attack each other, but for some reason they were obsessed with killing me first.

The rain continued dousing my fire and I realized that I was going to need to feed it, so I grabbed my stack of 8 logs and clicked on the fire only to drop them right beside the fire itself.

The 3 stooges forced me away from the fire before I could recover the logs and they, of course, ignited and quickly burned to ash.

At this point, I had a single torch remaining and while thoroughly frustrated with the comedy of errors, I felt confident that I could still get through the night if I could just get distance from them.

Sadly, the torch's limited light radius and my frustration left me disoriented and hung up on the terrain along the coastline.

The moosegoose delvered the coup de grace as I struggled to escape.

I sighed in disgust as I awakened at my only touchstone, but I still tried to look on the bright side because my death allowed me the 1 remaining shadow fuel that I'd been lacking to finish my shadow manipulator.

With that thought in mind, I headed back to recover my gear, only to find one of the treeguards already engaged with the moosegoose.

I gathered my gear as they fought, but since the other treeguard didn't seem interested in helping his buddy, I decided to assist by getting a few cheap shots in on the moosegoose with my new spike.

With our combined efforts, the moosegoose fell and I went to gather the loot. The treeguard that was fighting the moosegoose started walking toward me as I looted, but I thought nothing of it ...

till he smacked me down.

I can only conclude that I must have hit him once while trying to assist against the Moose.

I swear, this game is like the myth of Sisyphus, but instead of the boulder rolling back down the hill at the end of the day, it rolls right over Sisyphus crushing him and leaving him bloodied and in agony until the dawn of the next day when he's restored and gets to repeat the process. 

I absolutely love it. :love_heart:

Thank you, Klei for being uncompromising where so many others continue to lower the bar while holding players' hands.  :yaypigs:

I was playing as Willow and ran away from a giant at night, only with my lighter and ran into the killer bee hive area and was dead before seeing what I ran into.

• Engaging pack of fire hounds near my 20 house pig village. (Somehow this one happens every time, even if I know how it will end)

Trying to kite Bearger into Reed Trap set piece with 3% log suit.

Placing 10 Bee Boxes too close to my camp.

Trying to kite about 20-30 frogs at once.

Fighting fire hounds at my base hoping for Ice Flingomatic's effectiveness.

New accounts have to have 5 posts before they can edit, though @jbeetle mentioned elsewhere people "can also send a message to JanH to get that removed before then".

Cool, thanks.  :encouragement:

Dead on day 59, during the first few days of summer due to an unfortunate combination of Woodie's transformation combined with a dog attack just as the transformation was ending.

Unfortunately, I panicked and was killed while trying to pick up my things so that the heat didn't kill me.

I should have just eaten some of the logs I'd chopped while a werebeaver so I could maintain my altered beast form and kill the pack, but I was too concerned with re-transforming near where I'd dropped all my things thinking it would happen before the dogs arrived.

That, of course, did not happen and they surrounded me just as I lost consciousness.  :mad-new:

Thinking that the Dragonfly would be content with staying where it spawned burning the birchnut trees and going back to my base.

Twice.

I hate that mob. It comes every summer, regular as clockwork. I've played 4 games since RoG came out, approximatively 30 seasons, and it came every... freaking.... summer. Now I spend the second half of summer waiting for it in every game, far away from my base. Its loot is not that great either.

Thinking that the Dragonfly would be content with staying where it spawned burning the birchnut trees and going back to my base.

Twice.

I hate that mob. It comes every summer, regular as clockwork. I've played 4 games since RoG came out, approximatively 30 seasons, and it came every... freaking.... summer. Now I spend the second half of summer waiting for it in every game, far away from my base. Its loot is not that great either.

You probably knew, but if it eats enough ash and falls asleep - you can safely get away without it following you around (I think if you leave it sleeping it despawns). If you are not ready to fight it, just feed it ash. I think ~40 would be enough.

Yeah, I know that now, I figured it out when the bugger felt asleep right in the middle of my base these two times. The first time he got away with it, the second time I blew up its sorry ***.

I used that on its third spawn to blow it up again. I think it's more around 20-25 ashes. I had 15 and it was not enough, but it felt asleep quickly afterwards.

Edit: I even saved a nice souvenir of the moment, that second time. It felt so satisfying.

mini_707290Dragonflyboom.jpg

My biggest mistake was forgetting to bring my ice cold thermal stone during Summer and got eaten by the Warg and heat. Boy, isn't that beast frightening! Gladly, I'll never do the same mistake again... CURSE YOU WARG, YOU MAKE KOALEFANT HUNTING DANGEROUS!!!!

My biggest mistake was forgetting to bring my ice cold thermal stone during Summer and got eaten by the Warg and heat. Boy, isn't that beast frightening! Gladly, I'll never do the same mistake again... CURSE YOU WARG, YOU MAKE KOALEFANT HUNTING DANGEROUS!!!!

My thermal stone only lasts like ten seconds before it's useless in Summer :/. 

I only recently started playing Don't Starve, so my biggest mistake was letting the Deerclops into my base, and then letting the Dragonfly into my base. First time encountering giants so... I got demolished. I tried fighting the Deerclops with a Pig army but he wiped it out in two attacks. 

My first RoG mistake was leaving the old bell on the ground in my base to save space. It wasn't long before a moleworm activated it. I rebuilt my base, but then left it on the ground (as I thought I had activated it somehow and was going to avoid using space around my base) but then it happened again and I felt really stupid.

My second biggest mistake (chronologically) was when I set all the giants up to maximum in the world generation. I was fine all through Autumn, nut when it got to Winter, things went downhill fast. Three days into winter, the Goose/Moose appeared, so I used my pan flute and old bell to kill it. I thought I was good, but I still got my character saying there were giants, so I checked the map and saw a dragonfly to my north and a deerclops to the south. I went south to kill the deerclops first, and succeeded. But when I came back to my base, I found a bearger and lost. I had been hoping to just wait until winter was over (since it's only five days) to no thave to also run back to my base to recharge my thermal stones while fighting.

My biggest mistake was when I entered the caves, trying to escape the heatwaves of Summer, only to discover that weather conditions affect you underground, too. Ended up dying on the second level of the caves, as I was convinced that the heat wouldn't chase me all the way down there. It did, and a few shadow monsters tagged along, too.

Trying to get Bigfoot to kill Deerclops, when I had no armour left, middle of the night and freezing, (I wasn't thinking straight because he destroyed my lovely camp and I wanted revenge).  Bigfoot missed first time, so I tried two more times, and the last time I was so determined to get him squashed, that I got squashed instead.

:snarlingspider:

Archived