Bridges

Bridges.  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of bridges?

• They could be a really useful asset in the game.
    • They would probably be a bit OP, but that can be easily worked around.
    • These wouldn't fit in at all!

It's so terribe when you see a nice biome, wheter it be a swamp or a grassland with beefalo heards everywhere, over a terrible small river. You would have to go around the river to get to the other side, which can take away very valuable time.

So here is where bridges come in to play. They would be a type of turf, similar looking to the wooden turf, but having some more defined borders around, that you can build over water for quicker trasport.

The thing is, this bridges can't just float on the water, they will need supports. In other words, you can only build bridges near solid ground, let's say about 3-4 turfs long. That way, you can't just make a enormous bridge connecting one island to the next nor could you connect the two islands in the adventure map "Two Worlds", because the distance between the islands would be too great.

You could build a bridge the leght of about 6 turfs, but in this case you would have to go to the other side of the river to finish the bridge, because it wouldn't fill the two arguments :

1) The bridge turf needs to be connected to solid ground, wheter directly or via the help of other bridge turfs (this doesn't work if the connection is larger than, say, 2 bridge turfs).

3) The bridge needs to be no farther than 3 turfs from solid ground.

That all. Tell me what you think.

I think 6 turfs may be a bit too much. 2-4 would be good.  I completely agree with the whole idea of bridges! Always makes me to angry when I see land like 1 berry bush of water between that my character could probably jump without trouble.

There used to be bridges in the early version of Don't Starve but they rmoved it. Anyway, it's a great idea and I want to have bridges back.

was there? I was in beta and I don't remember hearing about that. maybe I just have bad memory.

This thread should belong in the suggestions subsection.

Anyway, it's a great idea, I always wanted the bridges to be back.

was there? I was in beta and I don't remember hearing about that. maybe I just have bad memory.

It was back when islands were basically circles.

Burnt_map_2.png

I'm sure I had a similar discussion with someone about adding bridges in game on the steam forum. I'll copy my post here. Interested to know if anyone feels the same and how my thoughts can be avoided and/or improved on.

"Without bridges it creates a sense of anxiety for the player. That feeling of having to trek back though what ever you came from just to get to the other side as you hit a dead end. With bridges included it would make things less tense. You will mentally know each biome has a chance of connecting to another one therefore you won't have that sense of tense feeling knowing that what you are exploring may or may not lead off to another biome but instead lead to a dead end."

I'm sure I had a similar discussion with someone about adding bridges in game on the steam forum. I'll copy my post here. Interested to know if anyone feels the same and how my thoughts can be avoided and/or improved on.

"Without bridges it creates a sense of anxiety for the player. That feeling of having to trek back though what ever you came from just to get to the other side as you hit a dead end. With bridges included it would make things less tense. You will mentally know each biome has a chance of connecting to another one therefore you won't have that sense of tense feeling knowing that what you are exploring may or may not lead off to another biome but instead lead to a dead end."

There is that ---^   And there is also the fact that we are trying to find ways to prevent people from turtling in their camp (I've seen many posts in different threads lately, especially concerning hounds and giants). Building bridges everywhere would just make exploring easier, allowing you to avoid killer bee hives fields entirely, dangerous swamps, etc. all that while creating shortcuts, so you can get the ressources you need quicker and get back to your camp quicker.

I guess if someone really wants to make things go faster he can build his own roads already, but I definitely hope bridges don't get implemented in the core game. I don't mind it if it's a mod: everyone is allowed to do as they please, afterall! But I think it would ruin part of the game for the reasons mentionned above.

Possibly make them decay over time?

I like that idea, and if bridges were to be made to be very costly (boards, logs, rope, etc) it might make it more difficult to build. Or if they could only be built with finite resources. Idk, that is just me, the arguments both for and against bridges all have very good points. 

Possibly make them decay over time?

I like that idea, and if bridges were to be made to be very costly (boards, logs, rope, etc) it might make it more difficult to build. Or if they could only be built with finite resources. Idk, that is just me, the arguments both for and against bridges all have very good points. 

Circle biomes made the game feel boring. I can't explain it. They just did. Again with circle biomes it was clear to the player where the biome would lead and end up. Klei have turned their game into one that is full of surprises and unexpected events. With how the world is now you are never sure where one biome will start or end.

I wouldn't be opposed to really small, really expensive bridges. Options for 1-3 tiles, each with a different price. A few pieces of wooden flooring, boards, and ropes. Maybe toss some gold or cut stone in there too. Expensive and not gamechanging, 3 tiles might even be too long, I wouldn't be upset if the only options were one or two 'turf spaces' long.

Archived