[Work Plan] Way to Valinor

I have been following this mod for a while, and I only have one question.

Can I play too? I may not have a ton of time to commit, but I would love to contribute.

What did you have in mind?

We're currently in code limbo for the most part, at least until alpha release. Once we release alpha, we're going to get started on the post-alpha content.

We're only waiting on art, though, so it shouldn't really be too long.

We're currently in code limbo for the most part, at least until alpha release. Once we release alpha, we're going to get started on the post-alpha content.

I think he meant playtesting. Should we link to UpAndAway-master.zip or upload a packaged release? I never know which one works best as a gateway drug for testing :razz:.

Looking at the todo list, I find myself wondering where the "Living Gnomes" are in development. I could take a stab at that. I am not an amazing coder, just glue and crayons, I am afraid.

If there are any assets that are "pressing" or "urgent", I could help with those as well. I am also not aware whether post-alpha content is included in this todo or not?

I think he meant playtesting. Should we link to UpAndAway-master.zip or upload a packaged release? I never know which one works best as a gateway drug for testing :razz:.

I would be up for that sure. Usually my don't starve is modded all to hell though.

Edited by ProfFarnsworth

Looking at the todo list, I find myself wondering where the "Living Gnomes" are in development. I could take a stab at that. I am not an amazing coder, just glue and crayons, I am afraid.

If there are any assets that are "pressing" or "urgent", I could help with those as well. I am also not aware whether post-alpha content is included in this todo or not?

I would be up for that sure. Usually my don't starve is modded all to hell though.

Post-alpha stuff is in its own list, and it is only temporary so that I have an idea of what to get started on after alpha release. I have some more ideas that I would like to evolve, but they'll have to wait.

Mods are fine. In fact, that'd be beneficial for inter-compatibility purposes. We would like Up and Away to be compatible with anything it can be.

Oh, he said contribute, which led me to believe, well, just that. :razz:

I prefer testers use a local repo to keep up to date with changes (so we don't have people complaining about bugs that were fixed) but the packaged release is definitely the most convenient.

Edited by debugman18

I wouldn't say there's anything urgent codewise. Our bottlenecks are art, animations and set pieces.

If you'd like to give it a go, here's the current (prealpha) state of Up and Away. If you find any issues (including incompatibility with other mods), make sure to report them.

UpAndAway-prealpha.zip

Edited by simplex

I wouldn't say there's anything urgent codewise. Our bottlenecks are art, animations and set pieces.

If you'd like to give it a go, here's the current (prealpha) state of Up and Away. If you find any issues (including incompatibility with other mods), make sure to report them.

Well, I have never done any set pieces, but could learn. EDIT: I see the Gnomes already have atlases and anims. Maybe I should have explained I am fairly comfortable in Spriter and have done some art for the game (although some have commented it is too realistic, or detailed for Don't Starve).

I will try it for sure, and definitely report back (I think I have around 50 mods active, so reports should be a plenty). One question regarding gameplay, when are we expected to ascend the beanstalk? For example, you can't really go to caves for at least a few days, is the could realm supposed to be day 50, 100? I intend to start a new save and play normally to test (ie. no invincibility, etc).

Edited by ProfFarnsworth

Well, I have never done any set pieces, but could learn. Are the gnomes a bottleneck, or would inventory images be a better place to start? Maybe I should have explained I am fairly comfortable in Spriter and have done some art for the game (although some have commented it is too realistic, or detailed for Don't Starve).

I will try it for sure, and definitely report back (I think I have around 50 mods active, so reports should be a plenty). One question regarding gameplay, when are we expected to ascend the beanstalk? For example, you can't really go to caves for at least a few days, is the could realm supposed to be day 50, 100? I intend to start a new save and play normally to test (ie. no invincibility, etc).

Gnomes aren't really blocking anything, they have some code that could certainly be refined, but its their art that will be more important. They function right now, stalking the player and attacking them if antagonized.

You're welcome to give us some art examples, artists are always welcome. While we have a few of them, they all have their own projects and so their availability is not at all predictable.

In my experience the beanstalk can be ascended within a couple of in-game weeks (the hardest part is finding the shopkeeper along the road during the rain), but it's not really very accessible in its entirety until winter, because that's when you can usually have proper winter clothing.

Edited by debugman18

In my experience the beanstalk can be ascended within a couple of in-game weeks (the hardest part is finding the shopkeeper during the rain), but it's not really very accessible in its entirety until winter, because that's when you can usually have proper winter clothing.

Thanks

Well, I have never done any set pieces, but could learn. EDIT: I see the Gnomes already have atlases and anims. Maybe I should have explained I am fairly comfortable in Spriter and have done some art for the game (although some have commented it is too realistic, or detailed for Don't Starve).

Usually you'd find things in need of animating in out artwork thread. Though currently I don't think there's any, since there's so little left to alpha. There's just the research lectern, which @Vivalavie is working on, the weaver nest, which @debugman18 is working on, and the beanclops, whose art isn't done yet.

Usually you'd find things in need of animating in out artwork thread. Though currently I don't think there's any, since there's so little left to alpha. There's just the research lectern, which @Vivalavie is working on, the weaver nest, which @debugman18 is working on, and the beanclops, whose art isn't done yet.

Thanks again, I had a look through a few times, but must have missed the gnomes. If I throw something together, I will post here for thoughts, but for now just testing I guess.

• Like 1