Suggestion: Make a Beefalo your mount, saddle item and barn structure

One thing that I've noticed on many of my worlds is that the best food sources, mining grounds and pig villages are almost always quite a long journey away, this always makes me hesitant to go out to that spot in case I have to camp over night.

To solve this, I propose that a saddle could be added to the game to be unlocked in the Alchemy Engine. I imagine that it would require 4 rope, 5 pig skin and 2 gold nuggets and after creation you would be able to saddle up a Beefalo to ride around the map at about 1.5 or 2 times your normal movement speed.

Of course you may need a place to store your Beefalo when you're not riding on it? Or else it might wonder off somewhere or be attacked by hounds. For this problem, I suggest a new structure to be added. A barn no less.

I would imagine the barn to require 5 boards, 4 cut stone and 10 grass (For the roof). This recipe would also need to be unlocked at the alchemy engine but I think it would all be worth it for the increased movement speed and the fact that Wilson would look amazing on a Beefalo!

Thanks for reading,

I hope this idea gets noticed! :D

One thing that I've noticed on many of my worlds is that the best food sources, mining grounds and pig villages are almost always quite a long journey away, this always makes me hesitant to go out to that spot in case I have to camp over night.

To me you've just described one of the "fun" aspects of the game... the journey and the risk. :)

To solve this, I propose that a saddle could be added to the game to be unlocked in the Alchemy Engine. I imagine that it would require 4 rope, 5 pig skin and 2 gold nuggets and after creation you would be able to saddle up a Beefalo to ride around the map at about 1.5 or 2 times your normal movement speed.

First off, and this really isn't just you, but why does everyone feel the need to add gold ore to their crafting formulas? I know you're thinking of the stirrups, but those could be made of leather. I would rather suggest something more like 10 pig skins and 4 rope.

That being said, the second issue that comes to mind is the issue with randomly saddling a beefalo. I imagine it wouldn't care much for that or listening to you just because you happen to be sitting on its back. And we all know that upsetting a beefalo can be fatal. For this reason I think you would first need to pacify the beefalo, either with food or to lead it (i.e. "grass on a stick", grass + rope + stick, equipped in the hand slot) or you would need to raise/tame a beefalo baby (not here... yet).

Of course you may need a place to store your Beefalo when you're not riding on it? Or else it might wonder off somewhere or be attacked by hounds. For this problem, I suggest a new structure to be added. A barn no less.

I would imagine the barn to require 5 boards, 4 cut stone and 10 grass (For the roof). This recipe would also need to be unlocked at the alchemy engine but I think it would all be worth it for the increased movement speed and the fact that Wilson would look amazing on a Beefalo!

Mmmm... a barn? That seems like a fairly elaborate structure for a survivor to build. I mean, if you ended up stranded on an island would you think: "I need to get some animals... and build a barn for them"? How about we just have pens for them? The suggestion for fences has been around the forums for some time now and the Devs have hinted they may be adding walls... so maybe we could just construct a holding pen for the beefalo.

100 boards would be WAY too much. That's 400 logs. Jesus. 200 grass I doubt that much is even in a world. Maybe is, but it'd take soo long. I do agree it'd have to be more, but not that much.

Agreed. I should know since I onve built a fort out of chests, and at 6 boards per chest with ~20 chests... that took a lot of trees. :p

My last comment will be to back the idea I've always preferred, namely, to suggest that instead of the beefalo that player should tame and ride the tallbird. If you've seen the latest teaser you'll know that we can now hatch tallbird eggs and acquire a baby tallbird as a pet, aka, the smallbird. If you could be trained and grow into a tallbird then maybe you could saddle it up. :)

Numero Uno: May I please remind you people that this was just a suggestion that can be added upon to any extent until it's more realistic :)

Secondly, sure, maybe the idea of a barn is a bit far fetched, but I do like the idea of a pen. Maybe an upgrade system could be implimented to upgrade structures at some point? Also, I love the idea of taming the Beefalo first!

Finally, even if this idea is implimented, you dont actually need to use it. :) And even with the travel you could still camp out, but maybe beefalo chasing beasts could be added for a risk when riding?

Any of that sound good to you people? Remember, I'm open to any criticisms and extra ideas! :D

I've said that a beefalo would be nice to ride , i agree with this idea , but a barn is too building-like , the closest we should have to a building is a tent , and thats all , a pen would be nice but wouldn't your beefalo look like a slave pet , i'd rather be able to build a fence area that'd just keep him from running away , but he still has loads of area to play and a place to speak with others of his kind.

Numero Uno: May I please remind you people that this was just a suggestion that can be added upon to any extent until it's more realistic :)

Which is why we're discussing it with you. The best way to realize a suggestion is to discuss it. :)

Secondly, sure, maybe the idea of a barn is a bit far fetched, but I do like the idea of a pen.

Yup, and this way it could use (potentially) existing content, namely the wall.

Maybe an upgrade system could be implimented to upgrade structures at some point? Also, I love the idea of taming the Beefalo first!

Well you would need to suggest some upgrades. The way I see it the pen would only be an "animal pen" in name, rather than something you crafted all in one go and placed on the map. I suggest we simply craft walls and place them on the map to form a "penned area" and maybe if we ever get a gate/door added for walls then we can use that too. The only factor after that is how to lead the animals into the animal pen.

Finally, even if this idea is implimented, you dont actually need to use it. :)

True, but you need to convince the Devs of its importance. After all they are more likely to implement suggestions that everyone can enjoy.

And even with the travel you could still camp out, but maybe beefalo chasing beasts could be added for a risk when riding?

Sure. Maybe if you hear the hounds while mounted and fail to get off in time, they attack, spook the beefalo, and it knocks you off its back. Then the hounds attack you both.

I really like the idea of the hounds attacking, but maybe only in the night and sunset times so that you are forced to make camp?

Ironically, those are currently the only times the hound attack right now. I'm hoping that will change at some point, just for variety sake.

Perhaps a stake with a long rope tied to it, and subsequently the tamed Beefalo, will do instead of a Barn or pen?

6 logs (the main pole), 3 stone (the base), 9 rope (to tie the Beefalo up). This would also allow for the Beefalo to freely roam a small circumference around the pole. The player could also untie the Beefalo and free it, or put a saddle on it and ride it to kingdom-come!

Also I don't think the Beefalo should be able to attack while the player is riding it, for obvious reasons the Beefalo's attack is very OP and thus should not be used on the Player's behalf.

Another idea is that the Beefalo would need food before, or after, long adventures. Playing along with the title the Player would have to be conscious of whether or not they have enough food to feed both themselves and their newly tamed Beefalo transport. This would add to the very difficult decisions the player has to make through out the game, and also it would make Beefalo riding a fairly late game thing as the player would need a sufficient supply of food. The alternative to having to feed a Beefalo would be to instead feed it Grass, or grass tufts, which would definitely affect the player but in a different way.

All in all, I support this idea as a late-game feature!

Perhaps a stake with a long rope tied to it, and subsequently the tamed Beefalo, will do instead of a Barn or pen?

The main reason I've suggested an animal pen in the past is because the Devs have hinted the will be adding walls in the near future, so that's something we can form suggestions around with a fair degree of certainty.

6 logs (the main pole), 3 stone (the base), 9 rope (to tie the Beefalo up). This would also allow for the Beefalo to freely roam a small circumference around the pole. The player could also untie the Beefalo and free it, or put a saddle on it and ride it to kingdom-come!

I am curious, does your suggestion infer that by selecting any beefalo wandering around that you can "pin" it to that area? How would you manage it if the beefalo wasn't anywhere near your base camp? Maybe you could make some suggestions on how to tame the beefalo?

For me, I suggested revamping the pan pipes. Now that we have the blow dart, which puts creatures to sleep, do we really need the pan pipes to do the same thing to a lesser degree? Instead, why not have playing the pan pipes attract beefalo into following you... like the Pied Piper of Hamelin. Then when you get one to reach your desired spot you "pin" it.

Of course I assume a wild beefalo would be very upset with you. This is where my second suggestion comes in, instead of an adult beefalo, why not have the pan pipes attarct baby beefalo? I knwo there aren't any in the game right now, but the teaser showed baby tallbirds (smallbirds) and we know that beefalo run the risk of extinction through simple hunting... a problem baby beefalo would solve.

Okay, so now I've suggested a way to attract baby beefalo, and you idea allows you to more or less capture them, and that you just need to earn its trust to domesticate it as it grows into an adult and that could be done by feeding it grass daily. Similar to another suggestion thread on pet hounds, I suggest that to keep a beefalo you need to feed it (3-4 grass) each day. If you fail to do so... maybe it runs off to return to the herd. Or dies (starves).

Also I don't think the Beefalo should be able to attack while the player is riding it, for obvious reasons the Beefalo's attack is very OP and thus should not be used on the Player's behalf.

In another thread I suggested that should players ride beefalo and get attacked, the beefalo tosses the player off (rearing up in surprise). That way the player can be attacked, but also attack enemies on their own. Just a thought.

Another idea is that the Beefalo would need food before, or after, long adventures. Playing along with the title the Player would have to be conscious of whether or not they have enough food to feed both themselves and their newly tamed Beefalo transport. This would add to the very difficult decisions the player has to make through out the game, and also it would make Beefalo riding a fairly late game thing as the player would need a sufficient supply of food. The alternative to having to feed a Beefalo would be to instead feed it Grass, or grass tufts, which would definitely affect the player but in a different way.

Grass yes, Grass Tufts... wow... that would be harsh on the player, so I wouldn't opt for that.

Lastly, I still like the idea of riding the tallbird as a mount. I picture them being very fast runners...

Not haveing much experience with them as I'm quite new to the game but I had a good idea. Rather than rideing it maybe you couldmake a cart? That way you could ride in that or better yet use it to store stuff like a chest. That way you are not planted where you keep your extra goodies.

Not haveing much experience with them as I'm quite new to the game but I had a good idea. Rather than rideing it maybe you couldmake a cart? That way you could ride in that or better yet use it to store stuff like a chest. That way you are not planted where you keep your extra goodies.

Not a bad suggestion, and similar to one of my own. Just remove the cart and strap the chest to the beefalo's back. That way you don't need to worry about making the beefalo "longer". I wouldn't mind something like this in the game, as a chest holds 9 items.

Or rather than a cart, you could replace thes saddle with a pack for the beefalo, increased movement than that of a beefalo bearing a cart, but with the downside of the player having to walk along side their companion rather than riding them! This would add another of those "rucksack or logsuit" dilemmas to the beefalo, for added risk and choice? I like the sound of this.

I was actually thinking about this today and instead of a mount i was thinking something like a beast of burden that would either be a moving chest or something really specialized (i was mainly thinking about moving boulders or something cuz i want a camp surrounded in boulders to "feel" safe :) )

If we are going to tame a beefalo and love it I suggest protecting it too. Why not an advanced log suit for your fuzzy friend to 1) make them look different than the run of the mill beefalo and 2) Give them a longer life expectancy and make them more reliant on your feeding them.

Right. So now we have a backpack, saddle and beefalo logsuit? May I suggest fusing the saddle and the logsuit together like armour for a warhorse? Also I like the idea of moving rocks, maybe you could push them while you ride the beefalo? But the moving chest idea could be done instead of the saddle at any time! :D

I just think that it would need to be a bit difficult to train and tame them because then you have to go through a lot of effort to get 2 beefalo or more, one to ride and loads to carry. :)