Wildfire, Iceflinger and tools.

Just came back from a rather... frustrating run of Don't Starve.

Let me preface this by saying that I've actually been enjoying the DLC so far and quite like the new elements it brings, but I have to say that Summer's ability to easily destroy things and everything around them is a little too harsh when it comes to renewable materials.

I don't mind it being very harsh if that's where you want to go, but it frustrates me that the only ways of dealing with this that I've seen so far include a stationary Ice-flingomatic with highly limited range that doesn't seem to react half the time to me and ice, which seems to be very hit-and-miss in what it can be used on and melts quickly. I don't have any problems extinguishing smoldering when we're talking about buildings, but various things that naturally occur (grass, saplings) don't seem to allow me to extinguish them. Even if I could, ice is so highly perishable that you can't head very far for a long while without all of it melting.

As for the Ice Flingomatic... it either has extremely limited range or does not react in some scenarios, since I've had a situation where it's just not reacted at all to a whole patch of burning grass (after a single one went ablaze). I also had six improved farm plots near it, leaving it as I went for some foraging and when I returned, the only crop that didn't wither seemed to have been one pretty away from the Flingomatic. It's hard to confirm the range, though, given that it's not shown to me. I'm going to attach a reference screenshot.

post-356864-0-42520600-1395351409_thumb.

I can see in the preview that the image doesn't exactly fit... what can I do about this? I haven't really used this form before, so it'd be nice to know.

My personal suggestions include making sure that Ice can extinguish anything that's smoldering, regardless of what it is, as well as giving an of course, more expensive tool for extinguishing that doesn't perish as easily as ice. Maybe an endothermic torch with cooling properties and having the right-click action usable for extinguishing at a greater range than the usual torch.

Or you could get creative and create something that would blast the smoldering spot/fire with something to either kill it by lack of oxygen or freeze it. Maybe it could have a fuel system similar to the Lantern and be refueled by ice (if you want this to be logical, maybe turn it into a water gun of some sort) so it accomplishes the goal of not being easily perishable.

Another pass to make the flingomatic a bit more... reactive, would be nice to say the least. Some range display for the Flingomatic would be neat as well.

I realize this is a beta test and will hope that something that I find favourable comes out of it, since this currently makes summer more of a chore of doing everything I did in the early game (moving grass and saplings) which I can't really say I like. I could also see this eventually forcing me to create another world if it goes on.

That's more or less it. I hope this provides some useful feedback.

You can stop the smouldering with the ice staff or rot, also I think the developers said that they were going to add a visual range for the ice flingomatic with I'm waiting anxiously to make proper farms

Honestly, i think summer is to harsh in general, its nearly impossible to survive it anymore with your entire base in-tact, what with things c atching on fire during the middle of the night, and you cant have a flingomatic on then otherwise it knocks out your fire.

You can stop the smouldering with the ice staff or rot, also I think the developers said that they were going to add a visual range for the ice flingomatic with I'm waiting anxiously to make proper farms

Wasn't aware of the rot trick. I'll be testing that out in my next session.

Honestly, i think summer is to harsh in general, its nearly impossible to survive it anymore with your entire base in-tact, what with things c atching on fire during the middle of the night, and you cant have a flingomatic on then otherwise it knocks out your fire.

I do think it's meant to be harsh, but I also have to say that right now it's a little overkill... Heck, that's not even my primary annoyance. It's what the overkill leads to. Summer has so far just sucked up more time with me just replacing grass and twigs, along with whatever gets totally fried. Maybe the rot trick will help, but I also have to say that it's still kind of hard to imagine them adding a lot more without tuning this errand-running down to some extent. Just my input.

...and you cant have a flingomatic on then otherwise it knocks out your fire.

I deal with that by making a second fire pit out of range of both my flingers.    Don't put much else around that pit since it has no flinger protection. 

Klei definitely said before the March 12th update that they were going to have some way to tell range.  I was disappointed that didn't happen.  As far as I can tell it's half a screen or so. 

I've really had very little problem with summer, especially after flingers became refuelable on the 12th.  Maybe I'm just lucky, I dunno.    I just leave two running in my base all summer.  Never had any of my base smolder.  They do have some strange behavior, mainly in that they seem to fling a shot at every plant that I pick, even if they've already hit it once.   Which seems like it should be unnecessary, but I don't really for sure understand the full extent of what they do in terms of adding protection to plants/structures, and/or rejuvinating withered plants.  Nor if the switching of the plant graphic to it's picked state in effect spawns a new entity that isn't protected, or what.

Working on my second summer on a 137-day ROG run. Constructing my base with summer burning in mind has made things much easier. Some tips:

-I don't plant anything in big clumps. Small strips of 10 berries, twigs and grass helps to reduce my losses if I do get burned.

-Place your endothermic fire pit out of range of flingomatics. Summer nights are short anyhow.

-OR - fill your base with a bunch of fireflies, so if you forget and your fire gets put out by a flingomatic, you can firefly hop. Also makes home base look cozier at night. The autumn biome has TONS of fireflies. You could probably catch 30-40 on a long night with a full moon

-Stock up on wood before summer to fuel your flingomatics! I set up a pig city near my base (but at safe distance to avoid werepigs) and then plant large forests beside them and put'em to work logging. My large wood supply keeps my 4 flingomatics running smooth

They do have some strange behavior, mainly in that they seem to fling a shot at every plant that I pick, even if they've already hit it once.   Which seems like it should be unnecessary, but I don't really for sure understand the full extent of what they do in terms of adding protection to plants/structures, and/or rejuvinating withered plants.  Nor if the switching of the plant graphic to it's picked state in effect spawns a new entity that isn't protected, or what.

I agree. I think picking a plant causes its temperature to 'reset', and so the flingomatic targets it for cooling.

In reply to original post that you cant survive with whole base in-tact; the idea of summer is to prevent the cosy camping on too large a scale and keeping the player active.

(im on a phone so cant quote)

Archived