More useful ice

I think that ice in fridge should make food spoil slower: one stack of ice make items spoil 10% slower, so if you put five stacks of ice in a fridge you make item spoil 100% slower. At this case you will be able to increase amount of time that takes items to spoil at cost of space. (one piece of ice will slow spoiling by 0.4%)

Very good idea!  Five stack is only 50% though, if we're using your 10% per stack number.  Unless you're saying a 50% slower spoil time would make the item last 100% longer?  That is true. 

I like the notion of trading fridge space for time.  You could get and 80% reduction (500% shelf life) and have one space for food.  Still too OP though probably, as you could pile it full of meaty stews.   Jerky would last what, 5 seaons?  Maybe 5% reduction per stack, or some other happy medium. 

On the other hand if the percentage the the *additional time*, then 80% isn't quite so OP.

Actually, when I first started RoG and found ice I thought "oh no, the fridge isn't gonna keep cold on its own and I'm going to have to stock it with ice". I'm glad it still works normally and don't really feel it needs a buff, though it would let me go back to not needing to dry all meats.

Very good idea!  Five stack is only 50% though, if we're using your 10% per stack number.  Unless you're saying a 50% slower spoil time would make the item last 100% longer?  That is true. 

I like the notion of trading fridge space for time.  You could get and 80% reduction (500% shelf life) and have one space for food.  Still too OP though probably, as you could pile it full of meaty stews.   Jerky would last what, 5 seaons?  Maybe 5% reduction per stack, or some other happy medium. 

On the other hand if the percentage the the *additional time*, then 80% isn't quite so OP.

Not everyone is a hunter and feeds himself only meet :p

Ya, I know.  It was an example - the most powerful example.  Insert dragonpie or whatever your fav food is.

I mean personally in my icebox I keep berries, corns, morsels and other food, so most of the time (except when playing with Wigfrid) ice in my fridge is not so damn frosty and takes only one or one and half window (I don't really know)

Is ice still inedible? That was a nice use for it before the first update because it could be consumed as a one-use instant cooling tool

I think the inedible thing was a bug introduced with Wigfrid and her meat-only thing.  Hopefully they'll change it back once they return next week.  Not that I've ever needed to eat it to stay cool.

I think the inedible thing was a bug introduced with Wigfrid and her meat-only thing.  Hopefully they'll change it back once they return next week.  Not that I've ever needed to eat it to stay cool.

It's not all that necessary, but it would do nicely in a pinch. Plus, it just makes sense to have ice act that way

It's already a fridge, it doesn't need a buff.  The ice isn't colder than the fridge otherwise the ice would eventually melt while inside the fridge.

It is called an icebox though. I thought Klei was going to be devious and make it an actual old-fashioned icebox.

That being said, I think it'd be cool in the world spawn preferences if there was a toggle to turn it into an actual icebox that must be stocked with ice, but that feels like more of an idea for a mod.

Archived