Please don't burn me after sunset (summer heat)

Please, for the sake of common sense xD

So I reached summer, burning days, okay. One dusk I took off my ice cube hat to check if the latest update have tuned the timing of heat attack esp after sunset. I assumed yes. Well...

james_doakes.jpg

Please, for the sake of common sense xD

So I reached summer, burning days, okay. One dusk I took off my ice cube hat to check if the latest update have tuned the timing of heat attack esp after sunset. I assumed yes. Well...

Don't know why you'd think they'd change it, since they never said they would.  Also it is entirely possible to overheat even after the sun goes down in the real world.  It will be cooler on average, yes, but it can still be hot enough to cause overheating.

I think you actually don't overheat as fast in the evening.  I could be wrong on that.  And I think it also changes from beginning to end of the season.  Winter is this way - towards the beginning and end I can get by longer without heat.  I felt like summer was the same, though I didn't have a 100% verification.  Nights and evenings are so short in summer I don't think it's that big a deal really.

Don't know why you'd think they'd change it, since they never said they would.  Also it is entirely possible to overheat even after the sun goes down in the real world.  It will be cooler on average, yes, but it can still be hot enough to cause overheating.

Please note that i'm talking about summer heat that can kill people (burnt skin, dehydration, collapse, die), you sure we're talking about the same thing here? =)

I live in equator, on hottest days we really have heat that can kill people if they go out without proper protection (burnt skin, dehydration, collapse, die). However, it won't kill you after sunset. I guarantee it. But it's here.

I dunno about your summer, maybe it can burn skins and kill people at night too. Maybe in most part of the world summer heat can kill people at night and the devs have been using that to tune DS summer. I skipped my geography class when they taught seasons of the world and their temperatures. I too lazy to google. I guess I'll never know ;-)

Please note that i'm talking about summer heat that can kill people (burnt skin, dehydration, collapse, die), you sure we're talking about the same thing here? =)

I live in equator, on hottest days we really have heat that can kill people if they go out without proper protection (burnt skin, dehydration, collapse, die). However, it won't kill you after sunset. I guarantee it. But it's here.

I dunno about your summer, maybe it can burn skins and kill people at night too. Maybe in most part of the world summer heat can kill people at night and the devs have been using that to tune DS summer. I skipped my geography class when they taught seasons of the world and their temperatures. I too lazy to google. I guess I'll never know ;)

Temperatures of 100°F can lead to heat stroke and there are places here in the US where it can stay over 100° at night.  As brummbar7 said though, DS is not the real world.

DS isn't about being like the real world.  It's about a challenge.   Arguing about what is or is not true irl only gets you so far here.

My point is about making challenge better. I believe that is what the devs striving for overtime. Real or not, I stand with my point that dynamic timing of heat is better than full throttle burn 24/7, partially because full throttle freeze 24/7 already belongs to winter thus variation in timing is better.

My point is about making challenge better. I believe that is what the devs striving for overtime. Real or not, I stand with my point that dynamic timing of heat is better than full throttle burn 24/7, partially because full throttle freeze 24/7 already belongs to winter thus variation in timing is better.

That is not how winter works.  The start and end of winter are not as cold as the middle, and each winter day is colder at night than during the day.  The gradations are subtle enough you just don't notice it apparently.  I'm pretty sure summer is the same.

DS isn't supposed to be realistic. It's supposed to be dangerous. Even the land itself wants you dead, as evidenced by the incredibly dangerous environments (How else do you justify a character without warm clothing dying in less than a minute in DS's winters?), the new giants, etc. I think this quote from InaneDugong sums it up best:

"I remember (Krampus) in its early stages and feeling like the universe of Don't Starve actually wanted me dead."

Wait, don't trees and the pretty parasol slow down overheating somewhat? If simply standing in the shade makes you not heat up as much, then it seems pretty inconsistent that the sun going down would do nothing. :|

Archived