Cold in caves

I'll tell you that even I did not know but I like it because it adds realism :-)

Not "realism". In reality, Caves are often warmer in the winter and cooler in summer. It's why there are good place for animals.

But it's a game, so gameplay is more important than realism.

It was intentional, so it prevents people from camping near caves or spending all the winter/spring/summer inside it.

Weird.

Before Reign of Giants caves were considered unhabitable and dangerous, after the RoG everyone wants to hide there.

It was intentional, so it prevents people from camping near caves or spending all the winter/spring/summer inside it.

Weird.

Before Reign of Giants caves were considered unhabitable and dangerous, after the RoG everyone wants to hide there.

Not really... In my long-running saves I've often made a base in the caves. You can even farm down there, and you can ignore winter entirely. WIth the tam-o-shanter, it was safer than being aboveground, especially because rock lobsters are such good minions and you get rocks to feed them for free.

I'm not sure how I feel about the change, though. People have been saying the season's weather is slightly less intense in the caves, but still present. This pretty much removes any reason to inhabit the caves, because although you'll be spending less time and fewer resources on coping with the weather, you'll have to go aboveground to gather some things anyway (like ice), and I don't think "slightly less weather" is really worth the tradeoff of living in a cave (dealing with darkness and depths worms).

I think maybe a better mechanic would be to have seasons delayed in the caves-- if you start in autumn and it becomes winter on day 21, maybe winter wouldn't start in the caves until day 26. That way there'd still be a reason to live in the caves, but it wouldn't be a complete escape from the seasons.

Not really... In my long-running saves I've often made a base in the caves. You can even farm down there, and you can ignore winter entirely. WIth the tam-o-shanter, it was safer than being aboveground, especially because rock lobsters are such good minions and you get rocks to feed them for free.

I'm not sure how I feel about the change, though. People have been saying the season's weather is slightly less intense in the caves, but still present. This pretty much removes any reason to inhabit the caves, because although you'll be spending less time and fewer resources on coping with the weather, you'll have to go aboveground to gather some things anyway (like ice), and I don't think "slightly less weather" is really worth the tradeoff of living in a cave (dealing with darkness and depths worms).

I think maybe a better mechanic would be to have seasons delayed in the caves-- if you start in autumn and it becomes winter on day 21, maybe winter wouldn't start in the caves until day 26. That way there'd still be a reason to live in the caves, but it wouldn't be a complete escape from the seasons.

it's worse in caves, "not slightly less," just saying. and I agree with your reasoning, but the tradeoff of leaving the caves as they are is being able to completely avoid the overworld weather, and the devs wanted that to happen less than they wanted the caves to be avoided by less prepared players.

Well, as I see it there's no reason to go to the caves themselves, except to collect some items that aren't really that useful (glowberry, slurtle slime, slurtle/snurtle armors). It's just a barrier to entering the ruins. For me the only reason to go to the caves was to shelter from winter. So... now there's no reason at all?

People have been saying the season's weather is slightly less intense in the caves, but still present.

It is not currently the case, weather is as intense as outside in cave.

But i've made a suggestion here :

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32141-cave-and-wintersummer/

For having less effect (and not "none") of weather in cave.

I don't see how caves can keep interest with their dangers AND the weather. And i find sad that you must use the funniest seasons (as autumn) to explore cave when it was a good way to make winter more dynamic before.

I think adding seasonal weather to the caves eliminates a strategic path for players. The caves are hard as is and going into them isn't an easy decision. Making the seasons harsher encourages players to go into the caves without forcing them.

I like the idea of having multiple strategies for dealing with weather rather than fighting it. Having the option of Fight or Flight is a realistic decision that survivors have to deal with. Plus it just makes more sense if the weather doesn't effect underground.

Just please explain to me how I'm supposed to stay warm during winter/dry during spring/cool during summer, sane, and well lit, while still battling (both armor and a weapon) monsters down there. It comes down to one item maintaining sanity, another maintaining light, and the last maintaing heat, dryness, or coolness. I know you have to swap around anyway (headlamp, armor, weapon for fights; backpack, lantern, Tam-O-Shanter for exploring), but adding one more item you have to wear/hold to keep you alive is ridiculous. This seasonal effect on caves needs to be lessened or it will be impossible down there

Just please explain to me how I'm supposed to stay warm during winter/dry during spring/cool during summer, sane, and well lit, while still battling (both armor and a weapon) monsters down there. It comes down to one item maintaining sanity, another maintaining light, and the last maintaing heat, dryness, or coolness. I know you have to swap around anyway (headlamp, armor, weapon for fights; backpack, lantern, Tam-O-Shanter for exploring), but adding one more item you have to wear/hold to keep you alive is ridiculous. This seasonal effect on caves needs to be lessened or it will be impossible down there

Be advised, it is still beta.

We already suggested that freeze/heat in caves ruins realism, Klei is probably gonna fix it by making caves cold but not as cold as overworld and during summer hot but not as hot as in overworld. Ruins will probably be as they are now, because they are very deep.

Nope it should be warm in caves do you even know about it?

Have you been inside a cave? There's little heat coming from the sun, and the caves are quite chilly. During the winter, however, there is no snow inside so they can function as a safe place to heat up and dry. Once a cave is heated up it will hold the temperature well, especially if you heat up the stone, the cave is small and air doesn't leak a lot. I guess it would make sense for the DS caves to be cooler during the summer and not so cold in the winter. That way, it could definitely be helpful for shelter from the weather. :)

Archived