Stupid question: How to save my progress?

Hi everybody!

I feel pretty stupid with my question, but here it is: how can I save my progress in the game?

Since we get the following message when we leave in the middle of a game:

"You will lose all progress since your last save"

I'm assuming there is a way to save the progress?

I already tried all my keyboard's keys, no luck... ;)

Is it done through an in-game mechanism?

I browsed the forum for some clues but did not find any.

But I read there might be some troubles with Steam so I should mention that I'm playing on Steam, and that the Steam Cloud is on.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if the question is dumb as hell but hey... it's late... :p

Fergal.

Hey there! Welcome to the forums.

Your progress is saved automatically twice a day. At eventide (when the arrow hit the orange slices in the clock) and at sunrise (when the arrow hits the first yellow slice in the clock).

These saves are indicated by a rather big "Saving..." message along with something like a science machine in the right top of the screen.

Thanks for your replies.

But it does not work for me... :(

I've been playing for almost a week now, and I never had any other options than (New Game, Make New World, Import) in the main menu...

EDIT : And I never saw this "Saving..." message... :confused:

I guess it might a Steam problem then?

I checked the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[uid]\219740\remote" and there is only 2 files: profile and restart

By the way, I love this game even without the chance to save my progress, so I can't wait to be able to do it :D

Edited by Fergal
missed A Bad Feeling reply

What the two above me said. Autosave at Dusk and Dawn when the mini-Science Machine drops down from the top of the screen with a "Saving..." message. When you Save&Quit, then continue, you'll start up at that last autosave - either at the start of Dusk (and then night), or at the very start of a new day, depending on when you quit.

In other words, never quit mid-day, you'll lose everything you did that day. Only quit when the light changes if you want to keep all your progress.

edit: Try going into Steam's options and enabling Steam Cloud if you haven't already, that fixes the "game won't save" problem for some people. It might work for ya, so give it a try. If it doesn't, try the "contact us" button at the bottom of this page and ask their support team for help directly.

Just to be clear : I never had a "Continue" option in the menu.

But I did manage to survive a few days (not much more than that without a saving option though :D)

EDIT:

Ok I just checked and yes I have this big "Saving" message at twilights, with the machine going down and up again. I don't know how I managed to miss this one ;)

But still no "Continue" option in the menu and no savefile in the Steam directory... :/

As for Steam Cloud, as I said before it's ON and had always been.

Thanks for your help guys.

I'll try to figure out the problem.

Edited by Fergal

I had this problem too. Know what fixed it for me? I do not know why for the life of me, but sometimes Don't Starve's folders in the steamapps folder are set to Read Only by default.

Go to your Don't Starve folder, right click on properties and uncheck "Read Only". Then go inside the folder and do the same for the data subfolder.

Hi!

Thank you Midnight Tea.

I did not try your method, but I solve my problem in a different way.

I was participating in the beta program of Steam.

I unsubscribed from it and I reinstall the current version of Steam and now it works perfectly!

So it seems that there was an incompatibility between Don't Starve and this beta...

Thanks all!

Problem solved.