The Great (Roleplay) Experiment - The Revival Has Begun

Tesability

"Hostility will not be a needed thing, Whyvenyr," the icy Maxwell began to speak before summoning out of thin air a fresh cigar into his hand as he allowed the walking cane to lean against his hip. "At least not towards I."

The mapmaker had been paid no heed by the Puppet Master, whom simply placed the cigar into his mouth before snapping his free hand to create a black-lit flame floating just above it. He took a brief second to light the cigar and get in a quick puff before letting out the small flame, the icy body strangely unaffected by the heat so close to his face now. "I must apologize for the intruders upon the island, I had actually sent them to their own separate isolations."

"And now, I sadly need your help to get rid of them. At least six of the others that have managed to make it to this island have some sort of unique power they can use, the most dangerous two being the newly-arrived lady you haven't met yet and the shapeshifter you have seen but probably haven't realized was with them..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isaac, along with Wojtek and Simon following close behind him, ran as far from the flames as possible, running until the trio reached a rocky area filled with boulders. "Well, at least the fire can't get here," the doctor muttered before finally falling to one knee.

He closed his eyes as he placed a pointer finger to each side of his head near his temples. "Can't maintain the hound any longer..." After a few moments, the elder stood back up onto his feet as his hands dropped to either side of him. Realizing the surrounding area wasn't as dark as it should be, Isaac dared to look up toward the sky...

...when had the actual sun risen? Had it rose into the sky as they ran?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three hounds had slain themselves, the trio confusing each other for hostile hallucinations. Two more tried to attack, but had managed to only slay themselves, leaving behind six hounds in view. The odd hound, the purpleish-black one, had been the only one of the group unaffected by the confusion-inflicted attack. It had placed itself out of range of the mass of panic, certain that its master would not appreciate having to reincarnate it.

It already knew its fiery companion was gonna get an earful when it comes back.

Letting off a series of barks to try to capture the attention of its companions, the purple hound realized that none of them would listen as the Ninetales swished around its tails, letting loose more flames that had emerged from the tips as well as from its mouth.

Four more had fallen.

The last normal hound standing finally snapped out of its induced confusion and lunged at the Ninetales, who had its attention focused on the odd hound while readying another sweep of flame.

The sound of shredded muscle became clear as the hound latched onto the Ninetale's leg, disabling it and making it bleed out. The purple hound barked a command, resulting in the living black hound to stand back a few feet, before more barks became heard, this time aimed at the disabled kitsune.

"You will join us in due time, bishop. You all will."

The kitsune passed out almost immediately afterward from all the past wounds and loss of blood creeping up on it, instantly reverting the creature back into its blob-like form. The hound smirked as it walked up to the blob, poking it gently to make sure it was unconscious. After a few seconds of studying the shapeless creature did it feel a sudden burst of cold, prompting it to lift its head in time to see the bluish-white ice hound.

The pair simply nodded toward each other before running off, following after the rest of the group that ran off.

Edited by Tesability

Well that is it. When he got dumped into the middle of the wilderness he didn't expect the people out here to act like they were in the city, only concerned in their own little goals and ambitions while tuning out the guy in the corner shouting about taking care of basic needs. With an exhausted sigh, Wojtek threw Simon to the ground again, the bottom of his left boot coming to rest over the boy's side. Applying just the smallest bit of pressure, Wojtek slung his left arm over his knee, relaxing his stance and glaring up towards Isaac. The man was looking towards the sky, completely unaware of the Russian's irritation.

"I've had to eat people before. They taste like pork. The closer I come to passing out from malnutrition, the more I'm craving pork." He assumed Isaac had turned to look at him, but Wojtek himself was looking down at the unconscious Simon. He had morals, he wouldn't actually eat the boy. If anything, he would take off on his own and make a meal out of David before it came to that. Still, he needed to get the point across, and the best way to do that was..

To make yourself look insane.

Well, once the voice in his head said it, it made perfect sense.

You're making enemies you don't need to be making Wojtek. You should be finding the food on your own, not threatening potential friends.

..where the hell had that voice come from? Wojtek's right palm came up to cup his forehead, eyes closing as he squeezed his temples.

"Coś jest nie tak."1

---

1. ​"Something is not right."

Maxwell's words dug into David's mind. What was he planning, this cold, twisted puppeteer? Was he trying to manipulate David into going on what he dryly described as a murderous rampage? It seemed so. Even with his psyche knowingly shattered like so many broken windows, he still glimpsed a great opportunity in this moment. The effective 'God' of this realm had come before him and made a personal request of him, meaning that he likely lacked the ability to deal with the problem himself, so David finally had an opportunity to draw out some much needed answers.

"...Keheh. Fine. I'll play your 'game', but on one condition..." David paused momentarily, considering what he could demand of the God, before speaking again "...Information. Tell me these three things."

"Firstly, what are the so-called 'abilities' of my foes? I'll require details on how I can defeat them if you expect me to do so."

"Secondly, where even are we? This place puts up a facade of normality, but it's as shallow as the safety it portrays, and is entirely unlike any reality I've ever heard of in fiction or otherwise."

"And, finally, my last question. Who do you answer to? You doubtlessly have incredible, otherworldly power, but do you actually control it, or does it control you? Either way, I'd be correct in assuming this is entirely related to why we're here in the first place, isn't it?"

((David's nuttier than a fruitcake, but he's also extremely perceptive and intelligent. You're going to have it rough trying to tame him, Max.))

After stalking the hound for quite some time, Lament couldn't help but wonder where it was heading. It didn't seem to be doing anything potentially destructive, and it wasn't letting any potentially useful information slip. In fact, the only reason Lament followed him so long was because the could aura around it slowed down the mud. Speaking of the mud, why hadn't he seen it on anything else? If the shadow brought other creatures to this spot, shouldn't they be covered in it too? Perhaps they washed it off.

Lament was just about to do the same when he realized that the hound led him to the edge of a clearing. With other creatures. Keeping to his paranoid mindset, Lament quickly dashed behind a bush, though hastily enough that he snapped at least a dozen branches. Dreading the moment they noticed him, he surveyed the crowd. Most were human. Though there was another creature, covered in, or possibly made out of, a gelatinous material similar to Lament's, but with various differences with texture and colour. Realizing he should probably get away, Lament turned around and dashed into the forest, not even noticing that the mud had already started boiling at a faster rate, devoid of the cool temperature that had slowed it before.

The ethereal squirrel flits through the trees, leaving a wispy essence of magic trailing closely behind. The foliage and branches of the evergreens rustle as the weight of the mist collects on the bough and leaves, leaving as quickly as it came. This effortless incantation was a simple-minded creature, obeying only the exact orders it was given. As simplistic as this creature is, it is effective at fulfilling its goal, as this spell has managed to find a worn-out, yet clear, trail, covered in fallen branches and overturned bushes.

------------------------------------

The adult looks around, for a sign of his spirit returning. After a moment of ambiance, lacking rustling from the canopy, he begins to look around yet once more, hoping to find some sort of help. He instinctively grips his sleeve, feeling for his batons. Those rods are more then mere sticks and metal to him...

"If it doesn't come back soon, I am going to have to blast out my own path."

(I hate myself for having inconsistent post length.)

Edited by Pecival