It Puts the Stories on the Forum

23rd

Oakland

Woodie was beginning to feel a little paranoid, chopping trees didn't feel as good as it used to. Maybe it was the isolation, maybe it was all the monsters he'd been fighting, but he could swear he was staring to see things. Trees seemed to loom over him as he chopped, move around in the middle of the night, things like that. He was beginning to think they were getting angry.

That's it, he'd seen enough things in this strange world to know his paranoia was justified. Woodie packed his gear into a traveling pack, taking off on a path out of the forest. The road ended near the edge, trees blocking his way to the nearest biome. Looks like he had to get through the evergreens.. evergreens that hadn't been there before. The lumberjack frowned, taking a deep breath before continuing.

Beyond the thick smell of pine he could smell something else. Something putrid.. and it only got stronger as he made his way through the trees. It didn't take long for him to stumble across the reason why. A leafless tree swayed unnaturally, the pattern of the wood making it appear as though the tree had a giant, elongated face.. then the mouth began to open. There was nothing ordinary about this.

Woodie turned to run as the unearthly wail rung out, three nearby evergreens rising up and stomping after him. The blooming flowers around him became sickly, spring petals curling and turning shades of orange, the same putrid smell emanating from them. After what must have been the longest five minutes of his life Woodie knelt down, kissing the grassland beneath his feet. The smells were gone, the screams and thuds had subsided, he was safe..

He was never going inside a forest again.

Edited by 23rd
  • Like 3

So much awesomeness, I'm going to run out of "likes"..! xD

I love all the action and surprising plot twists in your stories! And your ability to describe all the different characters is impressive as well.

These are always such a pleasure to read! :D

• Like 2

Were they "Treeguards" in "Oakland" or something else?

Well, the putrid smelling tree was a Totally Ordinary Tree (hehe, I still love that name) hence the lack of leaves. The three trees that rose up and chased Woodie were Treeguards.

Unruly Pets

A foot in a dress shoe wagged in the air before dropping down, two feet hitting the cold rocky surface. The caves.. Maxwell hadn't been here since he banished the Rock Lobsters to these depths. This was where he cast the things he didn't like.. well, here and the bottom of the ocean. Gloved fingers rubbed at a pointy chin as he peered off into the darkness, wondering just which one of his creations he would be seeing first.

He got the answer a lot sooner than he expected, as seemed to often happen when he thought about his creations. The ground around him rumbled, something burrowing towards him from the north.. another from the east.. wait a minute, they were coming from every direction! Oh, this was already proving to be quite a bother.

The dapper man readied the shimmering Dark Blade in his fists, threads of translucent black falling from his shoulders to his waist as the ever durable Night Armour formed over his chest. He wasn't a moment too soon in doing so, because at that moment four of them surfaced around him. The fact that they looked like they had come straight from a Dr. Seuss novel did nothing to reduce their intimidation, the Depth Worms even frightened him a bit.

There was no point in wasting time. Maxwell leaped forward, driving his shoulder into the scratchy purple fur of the worm in front of him, the monster's swollen lips opening to bellow forth a bone-shaking battle cry. Maxwell was very thankful he wasn't using a weapon bound by physical laws, it would have gotten trapped within the rough flesh as he sliced it through the worm. The noises they made.. it would deafen him before he was done. One down.

With one worm down, he turned to face the rest. Already he could feel his mind starting to ebb as they gnashed and bit at his Night Armour, his state of mind taking a heavy hit with each attack. He hated to admit it, but he would need help. Tapping his Codex, Maxwell felt a brief exhaustion overcome him as a shadowy spectre appeared over top the leftmost worm, driving its own Dark Blade through the creature's skull. Two down.

Moving quickly, Maxwell shoveled one of the dropped glow berries down his gullet. For such horrid monsters their lures were surprisingly sweet to the pallet. He took of running as a soft blue light illuminated the way ahead, hearing another of the worms release its death throes, followed by a loud slam. Maxwell felt a sudden boost of adrenaline, a sure sign that his apparition had been defeated. Still, it took another one of those bastards with it. Three down.

He found a small campsite. Some grass, a pond, a tent, two farms.. oh, and a freezer. How convenient! Opening the freezer, Maxwell was greeted by the stench of frozen rot. Immediately he slammed it shut once more, fighting the urge to make yet more rot against his will. Disgusting. Wait.. what was that? The former proprietor of the camp, muscle and sinew having long since eroded away.. assuming they weren't just consumed. Making his way towards the skeleton, Maxwell bent down to pick up the spiky orb that sat at its feet. ..oh, one of these. Well, this could work. The final worm surfaced behind him, causing him to spin and chuck the unconventional weapon straight for it with vigor that would make the most athletic pitcher proud. As soon as the orb smashed into the worm's hide it shattered, four enraged bees springing forth and stinging the unfortunate beast again and again. Maxwell took this opportunity to plunge his Dark Sword to the hilt in the monster's belly, feeling the life leave its body as he pulled back.

Staring down at the dead worm in front of him, Maxwell let out a deep sigh. The Dark Sword dissipated, the shadows de-solidifying and retreating back into Maxwell's own shadow. Depth Worms.. more trouble than they were worth. He should have never created them in the first place. With a click of his tongue and a shake of his head Maxwell turned, heading further into the caves.

Edited by 23rd
  • Like 4

23rd's Inevitable Zombie Story

Wilson had seen so many horrifying things since he went through that damned portal, but this was worse than all of them. He'd met others like him on his trips through these surreal worlds, people just trying to survive. Willow, Wolfgang, Wendy, Wickerbottom, Woodie, Wes.. he'd never realized all their names started with the same first letter before. Heh, what a time to notice. Not like he could laugh with them about it now..

They'd died, all of them. Well, all of them except for Wendy, but he hadn't seen her in days.. she was probably turned by now. Turned into one of the shambling abomination his former friends had become. Wilson sighed, closing his eyes and trying to recount the night it started.

-

"Is unfortunate, Wes was very close friend of mine and I know you cared about the Willow girl." Wolfgang spoke between chomps of the kebabs the two of them had made that night, brutish form hunched over the fire. "Strange, how they died. I never expecte-", the Strongman was cut off by the sound of feet dragging against the soil, a small figure emerging from the darkness.

"W.. Wes?" Wilson spoke first, unable to hide his surprise. But this wasn't Wes, it was just his corpse, hobbling towards them without a sound other than its barely functioning limbs. A zombie mime.. what an awful combination. "Wilson, get back! I will handle this!"

-

Damn it Wolfgang.. why did you have to be so hot headed all the time?! Sure you were more than a match for him, but not before he bit and scratched you! And then.. and then.. Wilson didn't want to think about it. He didn't want to think about anything. Not the night he first saw that shambling corpse, not where he was going to go from here, and definitely not that moaning in the dista- wait a minute. Wilson peered out past the dusk, trying to see what was making that sound.

Oh no.

No no no no no.

The striped circus uniform, the burly mustache, there was no mistaking him. The decaying, atrophied thing racing towards him used to be Wolfgang. It moved like a gorilla, muscular arms smashing into the ground with each leap it took. It kept groaning, but he could tell it was meant to be screaming. Wilson steadied his shaking hands, picking his spear up from the ground as he braced for a fight. He didn't account for how fast this twisted version of Wolfgang had become, however, and before he knew it he was watching his spear get grabbed from him and snapped in half, right in front of his eyes.

In a blind panic Wilson stumbled backwards, upgrading to a run once he got his momentum. He picked things up from the ground, throwing them behind him. Pinecones, carrots, frogs, it didn't matter! Nothing slowed the zombie strongman down, however, and Wilson was losing momentum fast. He had to think of something, some way to keep it from killing him..

There was no way.

Another groan echoed out as night came, Wilson and Wolfgang's bodies shambling off into the night.

Edited by 23rd
  • Like 4

...like a baboon

*Cough* @Xjurwi *Cough*

And, No, I'm never going to let that go.

Anyways, I don't think i even need to comment anymore, i very much like your stories, and just about everyday i come on these forums this is among the first couple of threads i check for a new story :)

• Like 1

I don't think i even need to comment anymore

If you ever have something specific to say about anything I write, I always look forward to hearing about it. Just don't go forgetting that!

Edited by 23rd

Unruly Pets

Huge big wall of awesome.

I'm not sure whether i should be happy maxwell is finally having to deal with these abominations or how you detailed each, and every one of their demises in possibly the most satisfying way possible,

In case you couldn' tell

I hate depths worms... (Sorry mack)

(P.s. could someone make a 3d model for depths worms i can use in Gmod?)

Edited by Blazingice26

23rd Really Likes Zombies You Guys

He was very confused, but at the same time overjoyed. The shackles of the Throne had come completely undone, and he was free. Free! Maybe They had simply abandoned this world after what was happening to the subjects? Possibly. If they ever got another poor sap to make another world, it was likely there wouldn't be any mosquitoes in it, not after how this whole mess had started.

Once Maxwell stepped off the Throne he found himself standing in a grassy forest, the darkness seeming to disappear almost instantaneously. So, here he was, in the wild. Vulnerable. Out of one eternal torment and right into another. If he could just assemble the pieces he could ditch this damned place..

Gathering the first three pieces was simple enough. Box Thing, Metal Potato Thing, Ring Thing. Check, check, check. Now he just needed that crank and he'd be home, back in America! Once he got his old place set up again he could work on figuring out how to rescue Charlie, and then they'd be rid of this place once and for all! Ah, daydreams.

Wingtips crunched against the savannah flooring, the small square of evil flowers visible mere meters away. That was when he had to deal with the first one. A pig house was built near the crank shortly after it had been dropped here, but the former resident was just a corpse now, being feasted on by a burly man with red hair and an impressive beard. In his bewilderment at the disgusting display, Maxwell had neglected to take note of the fact that night was setting upon him.

It was a full moon that night.

The transformation was sickening. He could see the muscles distorting where the flesh was ripped, and the Werebeaver hair only grew in patches on certain parts of the skin. What was left could not be described as a mere monster, it was an abomination. Worse still, it was only partially illuminated from the light coming from the empty pig house. Maxwell shuddered to imagine what he wasn't seeing.

A gurgle of a roar and one near-hit later and Maxwell was forced into action. A log suit and part of a dismembered tentacle he'd found near the Metal Potato Thing would have to do, he'd spent his more powerful weaponry on getting the first three pieces as it was. He dodged, ducked, even slid underneath of the Zombie Werebeaver at one point, cursing under his breath about how he was getting far too old to be doing things like this. Finally, he was lined up properly. As the Werebeaver's lunged, trying to sink both claws into Maxwell's face, the dapper man stepped back, claws sinking instead into the tough wood of his armor. For just a moment the claws became stuck, but just a moment was more than enough time. Maxwell brought the spikes on the tentacle's end down against the horrid beast's head, again and again. At a point one would call it overkill, but when you're facing something as horrifying as what Woodie had become you might be tempted to overdo it a bit yourself.

The claws came loose, and the Werebeaver stopped struggling. They had been fighting the entire night, and Maxwell was beyond exhausted from that little encounter. Kicking the headless corpse to side, Maxwell leaned down to scoop the Crank Thing into his arms, glad that it was finally done with.

He should have known better.

A sharp pain in his ankle was followed by the sound of a snort. Maxwell's blood ran cold when he felt the cloven hands climbing up his back. It was the dismembered pig that used to live here. It had died.. but now it was back. It was a goddamned zombie. He knew it was too late to save himself, and before he could have another thought the teeth sunk into his head. He was one of them now.

---

There'll be a third one. 5 points to whoever guesses the characters I'll be using first.

• Like 2

Lessee, I'm going with WX-78 because after the Zombie Werebeaver, I couldn't resist a Zombie Robot...now how do you make him a Pirate Ninja also?

WENDY!!! WE NEVER FOUND OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO WENDY!!!

2.5 points for each of you. I'll get started later tonight.

Oh! And don't forget

ZAMBEH CHESTER

NOOOOOO, NOT ZOMBIE CHESTER!?

]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/731983185/dont-starve-chester-plush/posts/701626]

We did it! We hit our fourth stretch goal. Snow Chester will be added to the game, along with Shadow Chester! These additions will come as free updates to all players, regardless of if you backed the campaign, some time in the early new year. We’ll let everyone know when we have an exact date.

53319971b0d28e758d6f0c77133d2dad_large.p

This campaign really exceeded our hopes and expectations, we’re super excited to be making an army of real life Chesters!

Looks at Overlord Chester Army

Ahh screw em, Zombify him!

Edited by the truthseeker