Wes on wilderness action!

23rd

Hello, dear reader! Are you ready to witness heroic tales firsthand about.. wait, what? You thought this thread was about.. say that again, I must have misheard. Oh.. I didn't mishear you.. and you came into this thread anyways?! Well, I'm sorry I couldn't titillate your desire for mimes going the way of Tarzan, I'm sure there's an obscure website out there somewhere that will cater to your specific need, but I promise an exciting post nonetheless!

I've been on this forum for about two months, give or take a week, and I have grown to absolutely adore (the majority of) you guys! Now, I've yet to talk much about my own worlds or even mention my latest achievements (aside from that Treeguard thing) without being asked directly, so I've decided it's about time I show you all what I do in Don't Starve!

It's been a long time since I was the feeble forager struggling to get through my first winter with Willow, but even so when I first got Wes I was too afraid of the high metabolism to give him a serious attempt. Tonight I realized that was absolutely ridiculous. I'll be using this thread to chronicle my adventures with the greatest character in Don't Starve, Wes! So far I've gone twenty days and I'm trying to prepare for my next Winter. Now, onto the pictures.

My camp so far!

My unimpressive farm. (Got quite lucky with that first crop, think I'll save it.)

My map so far.

A short list of my accomplishments (and lack of accomplishments) thus far:

• Set up camp
  • Discovered Chester
  • Discovered Pig King
  • Discovered Ring Thing, Crank Thing and Metal Potato Thing
  • Discovered Maxwell's Door
  • Attained Lureplant
  • Have yet to discover Beefalo
  • Hunted first Koalefant

My primary reason for making this thread is to hear the communities' opinions on my playstyle as I update, and tips/suggestions on what to prioritize as I go. I plan to keep this thread alive until I either die or use the Teleportato, when particularly notable events happen I'll post with screenshots!

Current Mods:

1. Always On Status
  2. Architectural Geometry
  3. Charcoal Burner
  4. Minimap HUD
  5. Relaxed Crafting

Pretty nice map. I deleted my old save and made a new one a few days ago, and I got the best map I've ever had. There was a small grassland attached to a HUGE rock biome, a savanna with tons of beefalo and rabbits, a thick forest, and a bigger grassland with lots of bees. The only thing I haven't been able to find is a Totally Normal Tree.

Well Dave you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have.. the facts of life. I started my first Wes world today, should I make a thread about it?

Wes is pretty easy. Faster hunger drain is suited for excessive supplies of food in the late-game; his health is over 100 which protects him from some one-hit attacks that Maxwell is vulnerable to; sanity remains a non-issue; 75% of normal damage only means hitting an enemy a few more times. I haven't had any trouble with him in my recent worlds (except the major downside being that there is no text or audible cue that hounds/deerclops are approaching, which means using sound is vital).

Wes is pretty easy, he has way more sanity than not upgraded WX-78 and a bit more health, also his hunger is a bit smaller and harder to fill than WX's but that is not bad, WX also has no balloons, and system overload is unusable, because of his 100 health and ability to die in 3 minutes during rain.

Play WX-78 without upgrading, this is really hard.

Wes is pretty easy, he has way more sanity than not upgraded WX-78 and a bit more health, also his hunger is a bit smaller and harder to fill than WX's but that is not bad, WX also has no balloons, and system overload is unusable, because of his 100 health and ability to die in 3 minutes during rain.

I do. It's why when I go to other characters again, it becomes suddenly "easier." Kind of a "Rock Lee when he takes of his weights technique." (Ahh yes there IS a clip for that.)

(And short of going balloon crazy, I see no sanity issue that could hurt Wes and a smaller pool makes it easier to restore as listed above.) 

(And short of going balloon crazy, I see no sanity issue that could hurt Wes and a smaller pool makes it easier to restore as listed above.) 

That's one of his strengths, though, that you can deliberately lower your sanity at a quicker rate. Plus, mobs getting distracted by the balloons and receiving cumulative damage...

That's one of his strengths, though, that you can deliberately lower your sanity at a quicker rate. Plus, mobs getting distracted by the balloons and receiving cumulative damage...

And this is why it's so easy to get beard hair and Meat Effigies if you play Wes smart folks. Play with WX unupgraded if you want to learn how to manage low sanity if you're still used to 150-200 sanity pools however. 

Wes is pretty easy. Faster hunger drain is suited for excessive supplies of food in the late-game; his health is over 100 which protects him from some one-hit attacks that Maxwell is vulnerable to; sanity remains a non-issue; 75% of normal damage only means hitting an enemy a few more times. I haven't had any trouble with him in my recent worlds (except the major downside being that there is no text or audible cue that hounds/deerclops are approaching, which means using sound is vital).

I do. It's why when I go to other characters again, it becomes suddenly "easier." Kind of a "Rock Lee when he takes of his weights technique." (Ahh yes there IS a clip for that.)

For the most part, I'm inclined to agree. While I'm terrible at preparation and item management the increased metabolism hasn't provided too much of a problem, though it's been forcing me to stop what I'm doing and run back to base as my food runs dry several times over the past seven in-game days. Some jerky, cooked monster meat and the berries and seeds I find lying around just aren't going to cut it if I want to go on an expedition.

Now, I wanted to get through the entirety of my first Winter without updating, but extenuating circumstances have forced me to update early. No, I haven't died! Not yet, anyways. I've got far more screenshots than I had yesterday for a mere seven days though, and you'll see why near the end. But first..

The biggest issue has been finding Beefalo. The small savannah near the start naturally didn't have any, and the huge, unexplored savannah in the corner didn't have any either. Instead I just got a whole lot of crap that I'll have to show you all in a separate post, since five images appears to be the maximum I'm allowed. Pretty inhospitable.

So, notes. Here's some things I've noticed specific to Wes.

• Sanity can be an issue at first, but like truthseeker said it's easy to fill it back up. On day 26 I decided to travel back to the larger savannah with two pigs and my Sanity was almost full before I'd even gotten from the village back to the Walrus Camps.
  • This is the first time I've tried seriously playing Wes, so the reason I'm being floored by the high metabolism is probably just poor preparation. Still, don't just dry some jerky and assume you'll be fine. A whole Koalefant, trunk steak included, went by extremely fast.
  • The silence that comes with playing a mime can seem troubling for a lot of situations, but when Charlie is approaching, when your tummy's rumblin' and even when uncovering the last dirt pile before a Koalefant Wes will still mime towards you to alert you to things you should be aware of. The only exception is hounds. Unless I've just been attributing other things to his miming by mistake Wes doesn't alert the player to incoming hounds, forcing you to keep your ears open for their audio cue.

Now, the reason I couldn't go 20 days without updating..

OH DEAR GOD.

NOT PICTURED, A F*CKING HOUND ATTACK THAT MUST HAVE BEEN TIMED BY JEFF STRYKER HIMSELF JUST TO F*CK ME IN THE ASS.

JUSTE.. BAISE! BAISE TOUT!

Yeah, it didn't end well. So..

I'm going to create a save that's just me finding elaborate ways to get Maxwell killed for this.

The images promised in the above post.

If anyone has tips on how to neutralize the threat of the Walrus Camp in the center grasslands I'd really appreciate it. The area seems perfect for a Winter camp with all the spare grass and bunnyholes dotting the area, in addition to the Walrus Camps themselves. I just need to be sure I'll be safe living there.

Bonus images of a small Treeguard I've tamed. Think I'll be turtling through the rest of Winter under his extraordinarily desirable protection, I'm just thankful I had the foresight to make those healing salves.

..died to a blue hound in the middle of the night, last day of Winter. Unceremonious, I let the panic of the fact that it was the middle of the night prevent me from using obvious solutions to get rid of them; in hindsight I should have made more use of my balloons. I got what I wanted out of this little experiment and decided Wes is going to be my go-to character from now on, but I very much regret not being able to stretch this thread out into a few pages at the least. I'd even found the Beefalo I was after all through Winter, how tragic is that?

..died to a blue hound in the middle of the night, last day of Winter. Unceremonious, I let the panic of the fact that it was the middle of the night prevent me from using obvious solutions to get rid of them; in hindsight I should have made more use of my balloons. I got what I wanted out of this little experiment and decided Wes is going to be my go-to character from now on, but I very much regret not being able to stretch this thread out into a few pages at the least. I'd even found the Beefalo I was after all through Winter, how tragic is that?

at least you tried and that's something I guess.

I take comfort in knowing it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact I was playing Wes. I'm trying to think of a nonsensical joke to make from your quote involving my cat, chopsticks and Chandler Bing but there's nothing to be done.. wait. Wait!

I'm goddamn brilliant.

WHY DO YOU USE FURRY HEADPHONES INSTEAD OF MOTHER'S KNIT BEANIE

Well.. uh.. you see..

Philip made me give it to him! He wouldn't stop giving me wet willies!

Oh screw it, last run was a test run! This is the REAL Wes survival game the thread was supposed to be about. I can do that, right?

Yes, yes I totally can. Can what, you ask? Exactly. Who said Wes died? Me? That's ridiculous! He's in the same spot we left him in! Sure he's in an entirely different map for some reason but.. shut up.

Yup.

Days 31 - 33! Stuff happened. Winter is coming to a close. It's been long and cold, getting a Spider Nest within a respectable walking distance has been a pain in the ass and to top it all off those blasted hounds tried to make a repeat performance in the middle of the [expletive removed for transcending mortal rage] night. No Blue Hound was among them. Oh I'll have my revenge yet, I'll bludgeon it to death with Chester's Eyebone and rip the Blue Gem out of its terrified little carcass if I have to.

I managed to learn from my previous mistake that never happened even though it did and set up some balloons once I reached a pack of sleeping Beefalo who were more than happy to help me tear Fido, Rex and Fritjof (he was a Norwegian exchange hound, you know how it is) a new one. Turns out those specific Beefalo weren't done saving my ass that week.

I could tell you all about how someone stumbled over uninvited, drunk and pissed about his latest visit to the opthamologist, but really wouldn't it be better if I just showed you?

I have no idea where those morsels came from. I mean, there were six of them there, six. I sure as hell didn't toss six pieces of uncooked meat in a chest.

But, psh, this won't be a problem. I'll just lead Dearie over to my friendly neighborhood Treeguard that he just brutally tore to fir scented shreds oh my god oh my god oh my god.

NOT PICTURED: Lots of very silly running in circles, then oh crap night, then oh crap freezing, then oh crap the fire's going to die, then oh crap Charlie is trying to kill me while Deerclops is trying to kill me while I'm making a second fire.

Fighting Deerclops would be so much easier if I wasn't always about to freeze to death the moment I put armor on, I'll say that right now.

How am I able to type this after being in such a dangerous situation, you ask? Well, first of all, dying in the game doesn't mean I die for real. You guys are so silly. Second of all, remember when I said that pack of Beefalo wasn't done saving my ass that Winter?

Again, in the middle of the night! I think that Teen Beefalo might be Batman.

That thing is going next to that stack of Blue Gems I intend to earn in blood.

Oh, right, notes and stuff. Well, since I actually used the balloons this time around, I'll talk about what I think of them.

• I haven't used the Pile o' Balloons for the obvious "get lower on Sanity than Nic Cage, harvest Nightmare Fuel and Beard Hair from Beardling" strategy yet, but I did get bored and decide to drive myself to 0 near that colony of Spider Nests that's ALWAYS in a rock biome near the Teleportato. They didn't really take to the massive balloon party, so it looks like mobs won't attack the balloons if they're not attacking you first. Kind of dissappointing, so much for stocking up on silk using the power of helium.
  • These things are nothing short of awesome for incoming hound attacks. It was pitch black aside from my torch so I didn't get to see them go after the things first hand, but considering I was only being chased around by one hound for a while and the balloons were gone by morning I think I can safely assume the colorful things saved me from toothy death long enough for Beefalo to clean up their work.

This one's less frustrating, more amusing. Once again, I let myself get killed by hounds. Well, Charlie, technically, but the hounds were indirectly responsible. I think there's a pattern here.

Should I let the thread die, or make a new world and record my experiences in the Caves and Ruins?

Archived