Reputation bug

HoneyHam

In a linear forum, I fail to see any benefits to having post disliking available. All it does is open up the possibility for trolling and terrible revenge-based mass-negative-rating antics. Trying to fit a negative rating system into a linear forum just removes the benefits of both systems and leaves you with literally nothing. The reputation system no longer has a purpose.

I would say that being able to dislike posts would have similar positive effects to being able to like them. Forumers can express themselves without clogging things up with unnecessary posts that could potentially start fights. Well, I would say that if I actually thought that expressing myself was worth decreasing someone else's rep.

EDIT: And now I'll probably forget about this post entirely because I won't be notified if it's ever liked/disliked and I rarely venture outside the modding forums.

No you won't. I quoted it. :razz:

Also, I think something is wrong if I'm starting to consider posting just to say that I liked someone's post or to ask who it was that liked my post.

All I know about my rep is that it keeps going up and I have no idea where it's coming from.

I'd prefer if it went back to its roots : No rep without a comment to follow.

The way it's now is like reddit, where who voted what is not public knowledge. Thing is that on reddit it's used to press down useless comments and push up useful ones. That doesn't apply to the forums...

I'd prefer if it went back to its roots : No rep without a comment to follow.

I don't know, I liked the cleanliness of just sending a "simplex liked a post you made". There was some elegance to just expressing an intention in its own right without making a statement about it.

But I'd be fine with that. I'd be fine with almost any system that reincorporates notifications.

I would say that being able to dislike posts would have similar positive effects to being able to like them. Forumers can express themselves without clogging things up with unnecessary posts that could potentially start fights. Well, I would say that if I actually thought that expressing myself was worth decreasing someone else's rep.

No you won't. I quoted it. :razz:

:-)

Not that it matters anymore, but post dislikes, while also potentially cutting down on unnecessary posts, are much harder to moderate (see: the reason why dislikes were ultimately removed, probably).

:-)

Not that it matters anymore, but post dislikes, while also potentially cutting down on unnecessary posts, are much harder to moderate (see: the reason why dislikes were ultimately removed, probably).

They were probably removed because I didn't like Silent's base and it turned into 2 pages of him defending mods against Teo and I. I was unaware at the time you could even see who did what to the rep. I don't like the new thumbs-up only system, since there's no way to show someone a post sucks without fueling a fire.

They were probably removed because I didn't like Silent's base and it turned into 2 pages of him defending mods against Teo and I. I was unaware at the time you could even see who did what to the rep. I don't like the new thumbs-up only system, since there's no way to show someone a post sucks without fueling a fire.

What they taught me in school about fire is to stay low and don't try to be a hero. And get help.

What they taught me in school about fire is to stay low and don't try to be a hero. And get help.

I was always taught to stop, drop, and roll. In retrospect, I think they put too much emphasis on that because I have only been on fire twice. I have not stopped, dropped, or rolled in either case.

I was always taught to stop, drop, and roll. In retrospect, I think they put too much emphasis on that because I have only been on fire twice. I have not stopped, dropped, or rolled in either case.

O-O

I meant internet argument fires...

And you stop drop and roll if you are on fire, if your house is on fire stay low, because it's always the smoke that gets you.

Yeah, I do believe that if Silent didn't care so much about meaningless internet points then we'd still have dislikes. But I don't think that was the only reason. More like a "last straw".

And for the record I wasn't arguing about mods. Just the stupid behavior.

You know, I actually think I'd be more comfortable with dislikes if they weren't tied to rep at all. I know I get a sort of grim satisfaction from rating threads where the conversation sucks with 1 star. Even though it doesn't do anything.

So this means I should probably stop obsessively checking my like count?

Instead of liking individual posts, why not just have an option to "respect" a user, which appears on their profile. People won't obsess over like count anymore, plus you can easily tell how likeable/respectable a person is by referring to this.

That would make the rep system work simply as an ego-rubbing framework.

Liking posts has a purpose, which is notifying the other person you liked their post. I'd rather have no rep count at all than having rep be given on a profile/user basis instead of based on actual content produced by the user.

That would make the rep system work simply as an ego-rubbing framework.

Liking posts has a purpose, which is notifying the other person you liked their post. I'd rather have no rep count at all than having rep be given on a profile/user basis instead of based on actual content produced by the user.

Well, I don't really see the harm in having a one-time option to recognize someone as respectable. If later on your opinion changes, you can simply retract it. It is nice to see what people like, though.

Well, I don't really see the harm in having a one-time option to recognize someone as respectable. If later on your opinion changes, you can simply retract it. It is nice to see what people like, though.

I wouldn't object to such a "respect" system, as long as it's not a replacement for Likes, but an addition.

Archived