Reputation bug

HoneyHam

I disabled the ability to view who voted on your posts to limit personal arguments.

Oh, come on. I have barely been active ever since rep stopped triggering notifications, but now there really isn't a reason to post around here (or read other people's posts, for that matter). Not being able to see who liked your posts and have other people see you liked their just makes for a dead forum.

Just remove Dislikes, then, since it's not worth it to remove a core feature of the forums just to avoid issues with a minor one. Or remove rep altogether, since now there really is no point to it.

Oh, come on. I have barely been active ever since rep stopped triggering notifications, but now there really isn't a reason to post around here (or read other people's posts, for that matter). Not being able to see who liked your posts and have other people see you liked their just makes for a dead forum.

Just remove Dislikes, then, since it's not worth it to remove a core feature of the forums just to avoid issues with a minor one. Or remove rep altogether, since now there really is no point to it.

i like dislikes. Despite it realistically being pointless, it makes me feel better to know I disapprove of what someone just posted. :(

Perhaps it would be best if we could see who liked our posts, but not who disliked them. Really, if I can't even see who likes my posts, it makes rep even more of a meaningless number than before. It removes any sort of personal touch rep had.

i like dislikes. Despite it realistically being pointless, it makes me feel better to know I disapprove of what someone just posted. :(

I like them as well, but not being able to see who likes posts (or even not receiving/sending notifications for it) is a cost orders of magnitudes greater than what they're worth. In my opinion, that is.

Just torch the new rep system and go back to how it was. We've been without rep notifications for far too long, and the forum is a barren wasteland without that.

Well the change rolled to me too, and it really sucks. What I know is gonna happen is that I'm gonna get negative rep from people that didn't dare give it when votes were public, just to even it out, or just because they don't like me. (Like, why has @simplex 's post to Joe one negative vote?)

What we should do is give warnings to people that cry about getting negative rep :razz: jk

But yeah, they kinda lost their magic now :(

So now I can troll and downvote anyone, and no one will know who did that and why.

I want to play a game...

Sick of people who don't appreciate their blessings. Sick of those who scoff at the suffering of others. I'm sick of it all! Game over!

Pack your quivers with the finest redbird arrows, for the doomsday is upon us.

(I'm obviously being overdramatic, but still... notifications)

Sick of people who don't appreciate their blessings. Sick of those who scoff at the suffering of others. I'm sick of it all! Game over!

Pack your quivers with the finest redbird arrows, for the doomsday is upon us.

(I'm obviously being overdramatic, but still... notifications)

I'm not that evil, but still forum rep dosent matter now.

I'm not that evil, but still forum rep dosent matter now.

It stopped mattering when giving/taking rep stopped being proportional to your own rep. I'd be fine with JoeW getting rid of the rep count (I wouldn't parade for it either, since having a high rep is amusing, but I don't care for it other than as an "amusement"). It's being able to send notifications and receive those telling you X or Y liked your post that mattered, by my book.

It stopped mattering when giving/taking rep stopped being proportional to your own rep. I'd be fine with JoeW getting rid of the rep count (I wouldn't parade for it either, since having a high rep is amusing, but I don't care for it other than as an "amusement"). It's being able to send notifications and receive those telling you X or Y liked your post that mattered, by my book.

That was nice to know. Now you can troll as much as you like:P

In my opinion, rep was good because it gave me a sense of pride when I got a notification for it. And I honestly believe that it was a good influence to newer forumers because they will want to make more posts similar to the ones that received likes. But now, with no way to tell that you got a like, you have to be constantly checking manually. And frankly, that's nowhere near the pleasant surprise you get when finding someone liked your post from a notification.

Also, I think rep itself is pretty important, because length of one on the forums doesn't always mean reliability. If two people were giving advice to, again, a new person, and they both were around for about the same time, the noob would have a hard time separating the trolls from the good guys without rep. But with rep, mister noob would naturally gravitate away from the person who had less, or even negative rep.

In my opinion (again), rep is a system built for the newer people. They would probably need help getting around the forums, and rep is just another tool to give them a hand. Senior members don't really care for rep, because they know their way around, and rep doesn't matter anymore. They can tell the trolls from the reliables with great ease.

So there. I stated my opinion. Kill me if you must.

In my opinion, rep was good because it gave me a sense of pride when I got a notification for it. And I honestly believe that it was a good influence to newer forumers because they will want to make more posts similar to the ones that received likes. But now, with no way to tell that you got a like, you have to be constantly checking manually. And frankly, that's nowhere near the pleasant surprise you get when finding someone liked your post from a notification.

Also, I think rep itself is pretty important, because length of one on the forums doesn't always mean reliability. If two people were giving advice to, again, a new person, and they both were around for about the same time, the noob would have a hard time separating the trolls from the good guys without rep. But with rep, mister noob would naturally gravitate away from the person who had less, or even negative rep.

In my opinion (again), rep is a system built for the newer people. They would probably need help getting around the forums, and rep is just another tool to give them a hand. Senior members don't really care for rep, because they know their way around, and rep doesn't matter anymore. They can tell the trolls from the reliables with great ease.

So there. I stated my opinion. Kill me if you must.

Hear, hear!

This is probably a bad idea, but...

What if you had to provide a comment when you gave negative rep? Similar to how it worked on the old forums, but only with negative rep. This could make people think twice about using it, and it would make things more difficult for those who just want to use negative rep to get back at someone.

Of course, this might just make negative rep a pointless feature. If you have to comment, then you might as well post.

Agreeing with simplex here. I am very disappointed with this new system. It's the worst of all worlds.

The reason for a post liking system (without dislikes and with notifications) is:

It allows people to show that they have read/appreciated a post without the need for creating a new post. This cuts down on unnecessary posts, declutters threads, and makes for a much more readable forum in general. It also creates a natural incentive for people to create helpful posts, even if rep is meaningless. However, notifications of posts being liked are a requirement for these benefits to exist.

The reason for a post disliking system:

It allows for organizing posts based on their score, meaning that good posts will float to the top, and bad posts will float to the bottom. A Reddit-like threading system is required for this benefit to exist.

In a linear forum, I fail to see any benefits to having post disliking available. All it does is open up the possibility for trolling and terrible revenge-based mass-negative-rating antics. Trying to fit a negative rating system into a linear forum just removes the benefits of both systems and leaves you with literally nothing. The reputation system no longer has a purpose.

EDIT: And now I'll probably forget about this post entirely because I won't be notified if it's ever liked/disliked and I rarely venture outside the modding forums.

Archived