Diseases!

???  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

@Silentdarkness1

That is the hardship of the disease.

You should stay away from the mosquitoes. You don't really need anything from them anyway

For every threat in Don't Starve, there is some way to not die from it(be it Deerclops attacks, pengulls, hunger, sanity loss, so on so forth). You're proposing an incurable disease. Something that once you contract it, you may as well strip down and hug a tentacle. You don't have to get involved with pengulls, beefaloes, killer bee nests......so on so forth, ect ect.....but people will.

And, maybe I WANT THAT SACK. I would recommend an item that needs mosquito sacks, tentacle spots and spider glands that will cure it after two days.

For every threat in Don't Starve, there is some way to not die from it(be it Deerclops attacks, pengulls, hunger, sanity loss, so on so forth). You're proposing an incurable disease. Something that once you contract it, you may as well strip down and hug a tentacle. You don't have to get involved with pengulls, beefaloes, killer bee nests......so on so forth, ect ect.....but people will.

And, maybe I WANT THAT SACK. I would recommend an item that needs mosquito sacks, tentacle spots and spider glands that will cure it after two days.

Fixed it.

There should be dome sort of science item that checks you for diseases and tells you which one have (and maybe a recommendation on how to cure it) I think this whole disease thing is a really cool idea. Also, one more thing, lso you should get fleas from living amongst the Beefelo too long.

Tape Worms. They're like worms, but buffed.

Or we could do something nuts in the spirit of Don't Starve and make the Tape Worm like the depths worm, as in it's a giant beast that burrows underground, and he's guaranteed to give you a random disease on hit, as well as doing 2/3's of damage the depths worm does.

Edit: HAVE SOME CONCEPT ART!!!

sdJETWe.png

Any diseases in the game should, I think, be made up and not based on real disease like that. That way, you'd be free to choose effects, causes, etc. for the diseases based on what makes sense from a gameplay perspective. It sounds like you're just trying to make them like real life diseases without much thought for what that would do in game.

For example, the things that cause diseases should be things the player is discouraged from doing. The Cold being caused by not using an umbrella in the rain is a good idea because it would encourage players to actually use the umbrella. But, why should players be punished for having >5 pigs with them for >3 days? There doesn't seem to be any motivation to do that in the first place, so why punish people with a disease if they do it?

Also, made up diseases, like I dunno, shadow corruption,* just sound a lot more fun.

*Terribly unimaginative, I know, I'm sorry...

Tape Worms. They're like worms, but buffed.

Or we could do something nuts in the spirit of Don't Starve and make the Tape Worm like the depths worm, as in it's a giant beast that burrows underground, and he's guaranteed to give you a random disease on hit, as well as doing 2/3's of damage the depths worm does.

Edit: HAVE SOME CONCEPT ART!!!

sdJETWe.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=tapeworms&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZaicUsO_AebgyQGm_IHoDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=946

I sorta agree with Sporb. There should be made up diseases. I also think that anything that adds difficulty shouldn't necessarily mean "no fun allowed." If a disease had both a silly positive and a negative to even it out, it would be a lot more interesting and would also add some spice to the world while keeping up with "made up things based on real things"

I sorta agree with Sporb. There should be made up diseases. I also think that anything that adds difficulty shouldn't necessarily mean "no fun allowed." If a disease had both a silly positive and a negative to even it out, it would be a lot more interesting and would also add some spice to the world while keeping up with "made up things based on real things"

Hence my Nightmare Tumor idea.

I have to agree. Even though the added difficulty could make the game more fun, I have a hard time getting excited about something that mostly sounds like a pain in the butt. :|

Archived