Diseases!

???  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

Here are some diseases I think you should get on Don't Starve! :grin:

Swine Flu: Having more than 5 pigs in your group for more than 3 days.

The Cold: Not having an umbrella when it rains or not wearing proper winter clothes during the winter.

Poisonous Infection: Not healing a spider bite within 5 days after being bitten.

Fleas: Not Shaving (Only Wilson). Or not killing the hounds within 1 day (All Characters and after the hounds spawn)

Yellow Fever: Being bitten  by a mosquito without healing it.

Worms: Eating 17 raw meats

What they do:

Swine Flu: You will first begin to starve faster and die in 25 days.

The Cold: You will run slower and attack lighter

Poisonous Infection: Every 3 (In-game) hours you will lose 5 health

Fleas: You will lose 15 health every day unless you freeze them by going out stripped (No jacket or beanie) in the Winter.

Yellow Fever: Days 1-5: You will not hit as hard or run as fast.

Yellow Fever: Days 6-10: You will not be able to craft anything

Yellow Fever: Days 11-20: You will rapidly starve

Yellow Fever: Days 21-Forever: You are dead

Worms: You will lose hunger fast and takes a long time to get full.

Cures:

Swine Flu: Eat 15 pieces of Vegetables

The Cold: Wear a Jacket and beanie and have an umbrella (In the heat) for 7 days

Poisonous infection: Heal with a Healing Salve

Fleas: Run into another furry animal

Yellow Fever: Using 1 Spider Gland or healing salve every day for 15 days

Worms: Only eat cooked vegetables for a week

Here are some diseases I think you should get on Don't Starve! :grin:

Swine Flu: Having more than 5 pigs in your group for more than 3 days.

The Cold: Not having an umbrella when it rains or not wearing proper winter clothes during the winter.

Poisonous Infection: Not healing a spider bite within 5 days after being bitten.

What do you people(And other species) think?

More reason to use the Umbrella for characters other than WX-78. I'm not against it.

What they would really do.

Be more specific, please; your posts are often vague and uninformative, you'll get warmer responses with thought out details and explanations. I can see how the cold would work, dropping body temperature and causing a risk of freezing during the summer. I can even see a poisonous infection causing damage taken being doubled (for example, a spider's attack would cause 40 damage instead of 20). What I can't understand is how swine flu would translate into the game mechanics. You've also neglected to give any ideas on how to cure said diseases.

Here's some ideas for the diseases you have suggested:

Swine Flu: Movement speed decrease, and constant small sanity drain for two days.

Common Cold: Sanity drop, and maximum health decreases by 10% for up to a week

Poisoned: Slow health loss forever until treated with a non-food healing item.

Here's another one I recommend:

Nightmarish Tumor: You can catch it by taking too many hits from a Nightmare creature in the ruins. It lasts one ingame day, and gives a large sanity drain while active. And you can't sleep.

Diseases were once a plan for Don't Starve; mushrooms would be used to create antidotes.

The idea was scrapped, though, probably due to shortage of development time (I'd prefer if they had worked on core mechanics like that instead of caves, though, just saying :razz:).

Diseases were once a plan for Don't Starve; mushrooms would be used to create antidotes.

The idea was scrapped, though, probably due to shortage of development time (I'd prefer if they had worked on core mechanics like that instead of caves, though, just saying :razz:).

Yeah the caves sorta scrapped that, heat season and some others.

yea, I remember Kevin wanting status effects such as bleeds. He mentioned in the cave stream.

The OP post is not very detailed. Its doable, but one thing thats left is some visual indication of having flu or cold.

How to handle that thing I have no idea yet.

I think that the flu could be properly shown visually with a light color overlay, or optionally making the colors a bit bleaker or drained out. Not quite to the insanity white-out levels, but enough that you'd notice.

I think that the flu could be properly shown visually with a light color overlay, or optionally making the colors a bit bleaker or drained out. Not quite to the insanity white-out levels, but enough that you'd notice.

Anything short of giving Wilson cloven hoof hands, a snout and floppy piglet ears is unacceptable.

Archived